Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The only thing I find with it is that the focus ring can be pulled backwards too easily, making me wonder why I am struggling to focus.
Yes, though positive in action I too have inadvertently done that.

You can disable the MF clutch in the menu.

Got to agree with all the above , if the focus ring doesn’t feel right I would return it before it causes problems

The manual focus ring on mine......the MF clutch action on mine is positive in its action and the rotation is smooth and seamless.

I cannot say I have noticed anything in regard to "loose" and "rattly".

Got to agree with all the above , if the focus ring doesn’t feel right I would return it before it causes problems

Thanks all, I'll contact the dealer and see what they say.

Too warm for the wetlands at the moment especially after I was eaten alive a few days ago (teach me to wear shorts in long grass). So posting images from a few weeks back when there were more birds about, especially robins and wrens. Last ones a Wood Warbler, I think?

redrobin2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

jwren2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

jwren by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

woodwarb by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Super set Steve

A few with the 300mm. One odd thing was I was finding the dfly in flight focusing wasnt as good as previously so im not sure if its due to the latest firmware or ive changed a setting or the background was too busy. But it did make me think when a twig is in the foreground it focuses happily on that when you don't want it too but with a dragonfly flying about in the foreground it was focusing on the background haha. I cant complain too much though, I did get shots I was very happy with.

Emperor
Emperor Dragonfly by Pete, on Flickr

Four-spotted Chaser
Four-spotted Chaser by Pete, on Flickr

A few with the 300mm. One odd thing was I was finding the dfly in flight focusing wasnt as good as previously so im not sure if its due to the latest firmware or ive changed a setting or the background was too busy. But it did make me think when a twig is in the foreground it focuses happily on that when you don't want it too but with a dragonfly flying about in the foreground it was focusing on the background haha. I cant complain too much though, I did get shots I was very happy with.
..... Try setting your Focus Limiter (OM-1?) to a more restricted range of focus when shooting in such conditions.

Another option is to set your MF override to have Focus Peaking enabled so you can actually see the sharp focus range easily.

But either way I think you have done extremely well to capture the notoriously tricky Emperor Dragonfly in flight. Your camera settings are hidden on your Flickr pages.

..... Try setting your Focus Limiter (OM-1?) to a more restricted range of focus when shooting in such conditions.

Another option is to set your MF override to have Focus Peaking enabled so you can actually see the sharp focus range easily.

But either way I think you have done extremely well to capture the notoriously tricky Emperor Dragonfly in flight. Your camera settings are hidden on your Flickr pages.
Yes focus limiter is a good idea. I saw a video on that recently and then completely forgot about it . Ill defo try that next time.

As for my settings. I think topaz is stripping the meta data off. Its annoying as i need that info to look back on.

As for my settings. I think topaz is stripping the meta data off. Its annoying as i need that info to look back on.
.... OM Workspace will always keep your settings and also much more info as you may already know. I only use OM Workspace to cull and title before moving selected images into ON1 which also preserves settings info although in not so much detail.

I only upload a few of my images to Flickr but have it set to *publicly show not hide my metadata. Like you, I find it a quick and useful future reference for which lens, focal length etc I used.

* The public setting is possibly the key to you seeing it or not?

Interesting.

I have tried this and for me it is flawed, as the peaking seems to be zoned and jumps from one zone to the next, as I am turning the focus ring. I don't think I know where the exact focus point is.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I have tried this and for me it is flawed, as the peaking seems to be zoned and jumps from one zone to the next, as I am turning the focus ring. I don't think I know whereto exact focus point is.
.... I would say that the Focus Peaking method is limited rather than flawed. It is zoned and consequently can be most useful for very quickly seeing and adjusting the focus field while in the viewfinder - This is particularly helpful for fine-tuning macro / close-up shots. It's a sort of manual operated focus-tracking feature.

I haven't tried it on dragonflies in flight unless they are hovering. It's just one of several ways to possibly help achieve what you want.

.... OM Workspace will always keep your settings and also much more info as you may already know. I only use OM Workspace to cull and title before moving selected images into ON1 which also preserves settings info although in not so much detail.

I only upload a few of my images to Flickr but have it set to *publicly show not hide my metadata. Like you, I find it a quick and useful future reference for which lens, focal length etc I used.

* The public setting is possibly the key to you seeing it or not?
Yeah lr + photoshop has always kept my metadata in the past. My old photos on flickr all have their exif data showing so ill need to have a look into it i think

Yeah lr + photoshop has always kept my metadata in the past. My old photos on flickr all have their exif data showing so ill need to have a look into it i think
Peat let me know how you get on as I havnt figured it out yet same issue as you regards

A few from in the garden today.

Going to have to rig up a diffuser for the flash I think.

Bit of a steep learning curve this macro lark so any CC welcomed from more seasoned macro aficionados.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oHXsdz]Blackcurrants by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oHYCtU]Bee on Lavatera by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oHZ5kX]Bumble Bee on Lavatera by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oHWHpR]Bee on Lavatera by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Bumble bee on chives with my 8-25mm f4 pro and I had left the camera on ISO 3200 from my previous shot so I ran it through AI denoise in Lightroom

Bee on chives by Alf Branch, on Flickr
.... I love the composition and capture of habitat on this. The detail on the Bee is excellent and not needing a close-up. I have the same lens but don't use it very often but it's nearly always in my back pack just in case and I wouldn't sell it.

.... I love the composition and capture of habitat on this. The detail on the Bee is excellent and not needing a close-up. I have the same lens but don't use it very often but it's nearly always in my back pack just in case and I wouldn't sell it.

I love that lens too and it almost always on my camera when not shooting wildlife

Couldn't get any predictions of order fulfilment on the 90mm macro in the UK.
So, as I was ordering some Nikon kit from them, I asked Panamoz if they could supply.
Result is I have one on its way to me at a cracking price.

As a new OM-1 user (from Nikon), I thought it's about time I posted some shots.

I have to say I'm loving the system, the only thing is, I haven't found the option in the menu to reverse the rotation direction to remove the lens.... :p

These three were with the 300mm f/4 + 1.4MC.

Common Tern by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Greedy! by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Does this look good on me? by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Apologies for the spamming but I just got 30 minutes for some editing and i was very pleased with this Raven. Probably my best Raven i've taken in the 20 years taking wildlife photos.

Raven by Pete, on Flickr
That is very nice and detailed

Back