Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

haha, yep!

I don't recall where now but a couple of weeks ago I saw a comment about a dial popping off - EM1 I think, I wonder if its a relativity common issue.

I'm not sure, it is on the top, the one on the right closest to the viewfinder. I thought it would clip back on but it didn't. Olympus are giving it a service and sensor clean while it is there

I have the 75-300 and its very good for its size. The 60mm macro gets amazing reviews.
For the price of the f2.8 pro you could get a lot of glass. I guess it depends on what you shoot and if the quality difference would be noticeable on the work you do. After all the pro lenses are aimed at the high end........arghh..who am i kidding i want one aswel!!!!!!!

What we gonna do when the 7-14 PRO arrives...hehe

arghh.........so do I :plus1:

Couldn't help myself :D

Probably a good job the wife is away for a few days... :LOL:

You wont mind me posting these then.
A couple more from later today with the same lens and converter, static this time :)

Red Kite 72 metres away so this is a very tight crop.

A couple more from later today with the same lens and converter, static this time :)

Arghh......... man Hew, Just when I thought I knew what glass and bits I wanted you make me have doubts...............want one of these really....:D

72 metres is very precise :D

Can't wait to get mine, now all I need is some Red Kites!

haha, splendid - I wonder if that other one was too.

:eek: :(

On that note - I just ordered an ExPro charger for the car, £7.52 from Germany - very useful for when we go camping :D

On that note - I just ordered an ExPro charger for the car, £7.52 from Germany - very useful for when we go camping :D
For when 'we' go camping.
OOÒOOOOOOH are we having some omd group tent outing! Hehe

Lol, that would be scary

Well that could be expensive - I thought I'd try out the 40-150 (cheap version!) I bought a fair while back and I quite like the range - odd as I never liked the 70-200, which is pretty much what it is.

How does the Panasonic 7-14mm handle on the E-M1? I know there was purple flaring on the E-M5 has this been resolved now? Fancy an ultra wide and may keep an eye out for one of these.

I love it. Nice snappy focus, sharp, but importantly it's small and light.

The purple flare does occur and it's quite easy to replicate once you're aware of the conditions that cause it. Knowing what does it just makes it easier to avoid it.

I've never had a shot ruined because of it. I've fitted a filter holder that fits between lens and body. I've had difficulty finding the correct filter type to properly reduce the impact of the purple flare (they seem to go for a fortune on ebay when they crop up). However, a very kind forum member provided a piece of a similar filter that has had an impact on the purpleness but hasn't completely eliminated it.

But don't for a second let that put you off buying one. It really is a cracking little lens. The only lens that may convince me to part with it is the Oly 7-14 f/2.8. I'd like to see some thorough road testing with it before I'd consider it seriously though.

Okay - still suffering from potential 40-150 induced GAS.

I know I've asked before but its both very expensive and seems like its going to be big and heavy - what can you guys tell me to sway me either way as I nearly just bought one not ten mins ago but I have that nagging doubt it will get used.

Also to back up any comments can you also tell me how you use it - on a tripod, handheld, using a black rapid and so on.

Thanks again and sorry for being an indecisive pain!

I know I've asked before but its both very expensive and seems like its going to be big and heavy - what can you guys tell me to sway me either way as I nearly just bought one not ten mins ago but I have that nagging doubt it will get used.

Also to back up any comments can you also tell me how you use it - on a tripod, handheld, using a black rapid and so on.

You should be able to hand hold it,for me the real problems start to set in at above say 400mm FF,then no matter the weight of the lens getting a shake free shot handheld become more difficult

Thanks Simon, if I were a bit younger it wouldn't be an issue - I used to handhold the Sigma 50-500 OS on a 5D3 - sadly I don;t think I'm up to lugging that round all day any more.

Just realised something before having to go to work (in 5 mins) that I still have my 135mm f2.0 - that is almost exactly the same weight as the 40-150, so I'll try bolting that on and taking it for a walk.

Thanks Simon, if I were a bit younger it wouldn't be an issue - I used to handhold the Sigma 50-500 OS on a 5D3 - sadly I don;t think I'm up to lugging that round all day any more.

Just realised something before having to go to work (in 5 mins) that I still have my 135mm f2.0 - that is almost exactly the same weight as the 40-150, so I'll try bolting that on and taking it for a walk.

No that feeling,i did think of the 40-150 but just that bit to heavy for me,when for the Panasonic 35-100 F2.8 just the right weight,also just brought a s/h Olympus 75-300mm,trying it out as i zoomed past the 200mm mark,i could see thought the viewfinder the image was shaking,i think if i am going to keep it need a tripod :(more weight.
Fortunately i don't often use anything much above 200mm FF,most of my stuff can be taken within the 24-80 range FF :)

I'll let you know :p

I'm in the same dilemma myself, I have the money to buy the 40-150 after selling my nikon gear, but feel as though i'm getting back to the bigger heavier set up by buying one, which is why I sold all the heavier gear in the first place. As said previously I can get a lot of kit for £1500.........Having said that it looks a lovely bit of kit and i've seen some absolutely stunning images off this.............trying not to rush into this BIG Temptations........So when you get yours you can let me know what it's like;)

If your prepared to take the chance and hope you dont get hit by customs they are going for £788 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381065661822?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
HMmmm. Great price! I've bought from Digital Rev a couple of times and have been more than satisfied with their service but not with dimension. My thoughts on this type of purchase are if the are faulty or go faulty( bit of a pain getting it sorted) and for the cost am I willing to take a chance:cautious:
Cheers for the info though

Last edited:
Well, first few shots and I got wrist ache - but then I tried it with the grip on and I think it may have been better, but I'll have to wait and try again when the ache has gone.

One thing though, the 135 does make some lovely shots - shame its only manual focus adapted, because I suck at it (even with peaking)

Haha, that did not make it easier - took it out for a walk, fully gripped etc and only for 30mins or so but no ache to the supporting hand (which was the issue earlier) and the rights not that bad either.

What I do know I want though is an autofocusing 135mm f2

Edit...

And this is why :)

Pipes
by magsnorton, on Flickr

Last edited:
I know a lot of you are into nature and wildlife photography, and if you live in the south-east Drusillas have proudly unveiled a new baby ape and two baby red pandas. I went to see them yesterday and they are so adorable (the pandas didn't emerge until the very end of the day, as is typical): http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/pet-and-wildlife-photography-east-sussex-new-arrivals/

If I'm going to go to a wildlife place I try to do it through the week or out of season - I find the animals are more active and of course there are a lot less people around.

Last edited:
I know a lot of you are into nature and wildlife photography, and if you live in the south-east Drusillas have proudly unveiled a new baby ape and two baby red pandas. I went to see them yesterday and they are so adorable (the pandas didn't emerge until the very end of the day, as is typical): http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/pet-and-wildlife-photography-east-sussex-new-arrivals/

If I'm going to go to a wildlife place I try to do it through the week or out of season - I find the animals are more active and of course there are a lot less people around.
Some amazing pictures there Lindsay. Really show how good the 40-150 pro is.

Those are lovely - I was going to say especially the raccoon shots, then more shots loaded :)

Back