Olympus OM, which one?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been hankering after an OM for a while but before I part with some cash I was wondering which would be the best body to get?

It's a matter of personal preference, but I always liked the OM1n and OM2n bodies, but if one came up at the right price I would love an OM4Ti.

Depends on what you want to do / what you're after - I have an OM4 which I love as it has both auto and manual modes as well as spot metering etc.

But I know many others love the purely manual ones.

Have to say, I think they all make nice light packages with a Zuiko lens - a real difference to lugging around a DSLR.

Cheers

Indeed, im gonna be getting myself a nice little OM-10 soon as im missing my old one. It was a hand me down from my Dad and I learnt a lot from it. Need another one! :D

OM10 is a nice little fun camera to use but a bit fragile. OM30 is interesting as it was AF capable with the right kenses, plus it gives you AF confirm with manual lenses. Battery hungry though and the on off switch couldn't be in a worse place.

OM2n is the standard OM people seem to head for, I prefer the Spot Program myself. I enjoy using it more than any of my other film SLRs, but you have to stick with Zuiko primes for maximum user friendliness due to the way the shutter speed dial works.

I use an OM4ti. I also have a OM10 that was handed down by my grandfather. The only downside to the OM10 is that you cannot interchange the focus screens, which is very useful when moving into the world of telephoto or macro lenses. The added benefit with the OM4ti is that TTL exposure still works for a lot of the focus screens.

Thanks for the replies guys, looking on my local camera shops website there is a OM2 with a 50mm and a power winder, I'll have a look at that.

I think the viewfinders are the biggest in the OM1 and OM2 models. I use an OM2n and it worked a treat so far and has an aperture priority mode which works well for me. The spot-metering OM2sp eat batteries I heard.

The OM1 is completely mechanical, but no automatic modes. The OM3 I believe is a fully mechanical OM2 and very pricey.

I'm pretty happy with the OM2n.

The OM1 & 2 are both excellent cameras.

Ensure the OM1 has had the battery mod or be prepared to use an adaptor as the original batteries are now unobtainable.

The OM 3 and 4 are later models and so 'better' in that they have more features.

OM3s are a collectors item really as they are rare and very expensive.

OM4s should be avoided unless they have the later electronics as the original models eat batteries.

OM4TIs are brilliant.

As with all cameras of this age, seals should be checked, but it's not a big job to replace and can be done DIY.

I was able to get a US import OM4T for reasonable money from ebay. Only difference is the top plate engraving and they don't seem as popular in the UK as the Ti, possibly because it's not an 'official' model.

If colour doesn't bother you, the titanium/light gold coloured cameras seem to go for less than the black ones.

Back