Olympus om4ti - Are they worth the current asking price?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been interested in them for the flash sync options and the advanced metering and highlight/shadow warning function (and I just want one to go with my OM collection I've started). The price seems rather high compared to other bodies (both film and digital). Would you say they are worth it for the above reasons - baring in mind I have a bunch of OM mount lenses and a t32 flash already to use with it.
They also look a bit fiddly to use compared to thd earlier OMs.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed owning an OM4t, the spot metering is really special and if you get the hand of it really useful. The highlight and shadow control takes some practice. To really get the best flash performance you need a F280, this syncs at all shutter speeds. They tend to be a little heavy on batteries mine was ok, they lasted a couple of months.

Last edited:
The differences (from memory, although I have both OM4 and OM4Ti) are that the Ti version offered flash sync at all speeds with the matching flashgun (not alas the T32 which I also have) and crucially fixed the battery drain problem of the OM4 so that batteries would actually last as long as you would normally expect. Those with OM2s will recall that if you didn't turn the camera off, batteries drained in a couple of months rather than a couple of years if you did. The OM4 effectively was "always on" as far as battery usage was concerned. All in all, the OM4Ti is an improvement on the OM4. As to the price - that's a different question.

In the mid-80s I bought an OM4 with the insurance money I got for my damaged OM2SP. I thought it was great getting a top of the range camera but actually I really missed the simplicity of the OM2. Still got the OM4 so I'm going to get it out of the attic this weekend and see if it's still working. As Kaolin and StephenM say, batteries don't last very long at all.

I still have an use an OM4 that I got for my 21st birthday, many years ago :D, I think they are fantastic espically with the multi spot metering system. They do have a reputation for eating batteries but there is away to get around that.

Yep they are a little more fiddel to use when compaired to the OM1 & 2 but once you have run a few films through it you get the hang of it, the highlight and shadow options I find the trickest to use.

The Ti was fairly big upgrade, sorted out the battery issue, I think by revamping the electics, also got a champagne top and bottom which think might be titanium but the biggest thing was the flash sync at all speeds BUT only with the Olympus F280 flash gun.

For me the price of them is too much, I don't use flash so that negats that particular advantage.

Now if I cold find a nice OM3Ti, well that would be another story :LOL::LOL:

The quality of the results of all the OM cameras depends on the excellent quality of the lenses. The bodies just add various conveniences.
After all this time the fully manual and simple OMIn is likely to be the most reliable in that respect. Though the OM3Ti is also fully manual it has more complex metering and it is more a collectors camera than an affordable user one.

Hmm, I'm not convinced with the price tags they have, think I'll give them a miss for now. If they were 100 quid I'd have got one already. Think I'll stick with the OM2Ns for now.

I didn't realize (but should've thought) about the higher flash syncs only work in with the 280. I'm definitely not buying another flash!

Last edited:
I did years ago consider an OM3 (this is before the Ti version) and rejected it. My reasoning was that the reason for getting the OM3 was the spot metering, which I already had on the OM4. The point about mechanical to me was always the lack of need of a battery; and without a battery the OM3 offered nothing that the OM1 didn't. OK, flash sync and faster top speed (I think) but again present on the OM4.

Which one is Olympus' OM foray into autofocus? Or did I imagine that?

Back