Olympus selling its Camera Division

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I see Olympus is in the final stages of selling its Imaging Division to a Japanese Investment firm (Japanese Industrial Partners (JIP)) saying that smartphones have really been the nail in the coffin.

Hopefully JIP keep the brand going though; I had a long stint using the excellent O-MD and some of the M43 lenses.

Interestingly JIP are the firm that bought Sony's "Vaio" laptop division and have been trying to return that to its past glory.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/o...s-heres-what-it-means-for-om-d-and-zuiko-fans

Very sad news, but maybe not - we can hope the new owners can do something interesting with it.
I guess we Pentax fans are on borrowed time now.

With Olympus announcing today that they are selling off their imaging business and the new owners unlikely to continue with m43 and with Panasonic moving towards focusing on full frame is m43 on its way to being gone for good?

Nope

I hope not, and I can't see it. Not in the near future anyway.

To be fair the company buying them bought Sony's Vaio division a few years back and thats been brought back to life massively in Asia; and they're trying to re-introduce it in Europe/USA.
Its probably not a given that the new company drops Micro 4/3 albeit maybe they focus on the higher end stuff

With Olympus announcing today that they are selling off their imaging business and the new owners unlikely to continue with m43 and with Panasonic moving towards focusing on full frame is m43 on its way to being gone for good?

Fake news - who has categorically stated that M43 will not continue?
BTW - I also thought Panasonic made M43 products.

How folks can reword news when they want

facepalm.gif

I didn’t say anywhere that they wouldn’t continue with m43 I said unlikely.

The article I read said “ And now, JIP is not likely to keep MFT alive.”

Very sad news, but maybe not - we can hope the new owners can do something interesting with it.
I guess we Pentax fans are on borrowed time now.

We have been on borrowed time since the 1980s. Even when humans are purged from this planet Ricoh will still be promising us the APS-c flagship.

Yes it's dead. It's always been an inferior format, aimed at hobbyists, but 'phones are the new compacts, and full frame mirrorless cams aren't far off MFT size now, let alone APS-C. So there's no longer a place for tiny sensored cams when alternatives are the same size, yet give better results. APS-C is the new MFT.

Yes it's dead. It's always been an inferior format, aimed at hobbyists, but 'phones are the new compacts, and full frame mirrorless cams aren't far off MFT size now, let alone APS-C. So there's no longer a place for tiny sensored cams when alternatives are the same size, yet give better results. APS-C is the new MFT.

FF mirrorless cameras may well be not far off in size, but the lenses are.
Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist or enthusiast, although certain well regarded pros seem happy with it
Andy Rouse is one that springs to mind, for such an inferior system his photos look fairly good.

More than happy to carry on using my small inferior m43 gear, news of its demise has been greatly exaggerated

WOW , Karen from faceberk has got lots of relatives on here , any govmt advisers care to add there predictions :wave::wave::wave::olympus:

:ROFLMAO:. My camera has just thrown itself in the river.... o no wait, it still works perfectly well. Sony lenses for FF are huge by the way...

I’m sorry but saying that m4/3 is aimed or just for hobbyists is nonsense.

Last edited:
Sad to see the end. They never really followed the OM system with a worthy successor. I still have my OM system...

What actually makes me laugh is you can gain the mood of things by looking at sections of actual users and what there doing , and one of the best places to gauge that is in the for sale sections on here .. go to the others section and look at the panic selling of Olympus gear .. what do you mean there’s virtually nothing for sale there ??? Oh I see it’s mainly Fuji stuff closely followed by Sony ...

is it a indicator of how things are heading ,well yes because if people ( actual users) are holding on to there gear it’s a fair certainty there happy with it . .. perhaps in the greater picture Olympus have made there gear to good so there’s no need to buy new or sell the old .... i for one have been surprised by the amount of actual users buying the new 1-mkiii body that speaks volumes

Keeping my Panasonic under a news blackout if it ever finds out it could panic, it already suffers from feelings of inadequacy because the experts say full frame is the only way to take pictures.

A lot of full frame users would like to see that as the only format, thinking it will secure the future in a shrinking market, how wrong can they be, diversity brings new users in tell them they have to move from a phone to full frame and watch the market die even quicker.

Photography is about images and that is not based on sensor size, some things are but the main aspects are not,

How true mike , I can still remember back in the 70’s lugging around a mamiyaflex c330 twinlens reflex plus 3 sets of lenses , and wondering why I didnt take my 35mm gear . There has ALWAYS been change in the camera industry 2 and quarter square ,35mm ,hands up if you had a 110 ? Cassette camera .They All did the same job they took photos ,nothing has survived from that era that’s in constant use today so where will we be in another 40 or 50 years who knows ,live for the moment and enjoy

People are talking about different things here.

1 - The Road Map for M4/3 has suddenly got really small, like what is out in the next 12 months in terms of upgrade?

In that respect, updates, new tech, new cameras, new lenses….it is not the same as 5 years ago.

2 - People are talking about whether the actual physical camera in their hand are dead, no of course not. Like is your CRT TV still works, it will continue to work until it doesn’t…but (you know where I am going with this, I don’t need to explain it…)

So while the camera out in the while isn’t dead but the tech itself, it’s at a dead end. You can still buy it but it’s at its best today, if you are happy with what it’s doing today and don’t read about and care about where the cameras are going then you are fine.

I don't know if MFT will continue but even if doesn't there'll be enough kit on the used market to keep people happy for a while. I can't see digital camera bodies being used in 30, 40 or 50 years time as with film kit but certainly some lenses will still be in use when the bodies start to crumble and become scarce.

I've been with MFT since the early days with the GF1 and these days I have two Panasonic RF style bodies and all the lenses I want and at the moment I can't see myself buying any new gear but I also wont be leaving the system as it still offers real advantages in bulk and weight for me especially when looking at a camera body and either a wide or long lens plus the kit performs like a sports car and is much less attention grabbing than FF kit.

As long as at least some people see these advantages I hope the manufacturers keep making the kit even if it's only in a Leica like niche.

Looking at the longer term who knows what will happen? Perhaps APS-C could come under threat at some point or maybe some new technology will change how we think about sensor size or negate it completely for most people.

1 - The Road Map for M4/3 has suddenly got really small, like what is out in the next 12 months in terms of upgrade?

In that respect, updates, new tech, new cameras, new lenses….it is not the same as 5 years ago.

2 - People are talking about whether the actual physical camera in their hand are dead, no of course not. Like is your CRT TV still works, it will continue to work until it doesn’t…but (you know where I am going with this, I don’t need to explain it…)

So while the camera out in the while isn’t dead but the tech itself, it’s at a dead end. You can still buy it but it’s at its best today, if you are happy with what it’s doing today and don’t read about and care about where the cameras are going then you are fine.

Absolutely. I think micro 4/3 didn't have anywhere to go once the sensors hit 20MP, and by that time APS-C and full frame mirrorless had caught up.
Panasonic made the jump to full frame, and Olympus couldn't.

Doesn't stop people using existing cameras of course, just like there's a few people perfectly happy with their Nikon 1's

Have you seen the Fuji APS-C lens roadmap? It's been incredibly sparse since they introduced the GF lenses as well. The system desperately needs a refresh in terms of the key fast primes but there is nothing planned apart from the 50mm 1.0 (the only lens on the roadmap) which has been 'announced' in one way or another for nearly 3.5 years now.

The M4/3 lens system is pretty 'complete', the system isn't exactly wanting for any specific lenses right the way from entry zooms up to the Olympus Pro lenses etc. In terms of cameras, both Olympus and Panasonic have announced new cameras recently, Panasonic just yesterday in fact.

Last edited:
Olympus have proven themselves as excellent lens makers and innovators in regard to camera technology.

Is mFT and their legacy dead........I am not as sure as some on that front.

Could it be Olympus were not as nimble over the past 10 years in regard to their core photography products but did not add enough into their product mix to add enough for the mass market???

Time will tell as to quite what the calving off of the camera division to JIP ends up as?

The user base may not be as large as the Canikon ones but if JIP value the brand name there might be a pent up expectation of at the very least "support" in place for some time yet.....then what products to come......???

Absolutely. I think micro 4/3 didn't have anywhere to go once the sensors hit 20MP, and by that time APS-C and full frame mirrorless had caught up.
Panasonic made the jump to full frame, and Olympus couldn't.

Doesn't stop people using existing cameras of course, just like there's a few people perfectly happy with their Nikon 1's

20mp is quite possibly the optimum size for m4/3, I have no complaints at all with an A3 print from my cameras.
I see no reason why it won't carry on alongside the other formats, photography has always had a varied selection of sizes.

Also find it strange that people who purport to be photographers taking a morbid delight at the demise of a company.
Even more bewildering is the perverse excitement they seem to be enjoying telling others that their gear is worthless
I tried to find a reasonable explanation, but in the end settled on the fact they are just generally unpleasant people

I think this quote would suggest otherwise tbh. Why would you buy an R&D dept if you're not interested in developing new products?

“NewCo will succeed and maintain the research and development functions and manufacturing functions globally as reformed under the contemplated structuring reforms to continue to offer high-quality, highly reliable products; and also continue to provide supports to the imaging solution products that have been distributed by Olympus.”

I’m sorry but saying that m4/3 is aimed or just for hobbyists is nonsense.

You obviously don't understand how marketing works. MFT was always only ever aimed at 'hobbyists', as opposed to 'professionals', or 'occasional' photographers. That covers an awful lot of people who enjoy photography. Most people on this forum, I'd wager. Me, even. But essentially; photographers who might buy a few extra lenses, a tripod, flashgun, praps a few other bits and bobs. Not those who would be needing bulletproof super-reliable cams with lightning fast AF, huge buffers, super low light capability, etc etc etc. They would be buying DSLRs from CaNikon, more than likely. Nor those who just wanted to take a few nice snaps whilst on holiday; those would be catered for by the lower end compacts market. MFT was 'sexed up' quite a bit; ooh look at these tiny pretty cameras with lenses you can take on and off! If you think back to the film days; 'pros' would go for the Nikon F-range, Canon F1, EOS1, Pentax LX, Olympus OM4Ti, etc. 'Hobbyists' might choose a Pentax ME Super, a Canon EOS 350, a Nikon EM. 'Snappers' went for the various Instamatics, Zoom AF compacts and that. Hope that clarifies things.

That's not to say you can't use x, y or z cam for whatever purpose; I've sold images shot on a cheapo Vivitar cam, and not sold a single one I've shot on a Nikon F5. People who use x y or z cam aren't defined by that cam, in terms of their 'status' as a photographer. The OIympus using photographers cited above, don't seem to be held back by using MFT (I think Andy Rouse is happy to use whatever someone pays him to, quite frankly. Good luck to him, he's clearly talented to the point the actual brand/type of cam is irrelevant). It is interesting, that in order to make a MFT cam operate like a pro DLSR, Olympus had to make the EM1x more or less the same size as.. a DSLR. :LOL:

I could have been an Olympus user/fanboi/acolyte. I tried a number of MFT cams, thinking that surely the smaller size would be great for travelling and 'casual' use. None of them handled like I wanted/needed them to. All far too fiddly. Then I picked up a Nikon D3300, and that was that. Much better choice for me, personally. So maybe that's why Olympus/MFT is failing; perhaps they just lost sight of what a 'hobbyist' like me really wants from a cam?

Could it be Olympus were not as nimble over the past 10 years in regard to their core photography products but did not add enough into their product mix to add enough for the mass market???
I definitely think so. Panasonic invested heavily in the L-mount full frame concept, and produced some fantastic cams. So they have a future market already secured. What did Olympus do? Nothing. Kept making tiny, pretty cams. Which Fuji were doing anyway, but using a better sensor. So where was Olympus' niche? I don't think even they knew...

More than happy to carry on using my small inferior m43 gear,
Size isn't everything, eh? ;):LOL:

Also find it strange that people who purport to be photographers taking a morbid delight at the demise of a company.
Even more bewildering is the perverse excitement they seem to be enjoying telling others that their gear is worthless
I tried to find a reasonable explanation, but in the end settled on the fact they are just generally unpleasant people
I don't think this is actually happening.

You obviously don't understand how marketing works. MFT was always only ever aimed at 'hobbyists', as opposed to 'professionals', or 'occasional' photographers. .
Hmmm, the fact that the EM1 has always been billed as a pro camera by Olympus, and all the magazines and blogs, as well as Olympus having a "Pro" line of lenses does that mean the marketing's wrong? The fact that well known, well established professional photographers use Olympus gear do they clearly not know what they're buying?

Hmmm, the fact that the EM1 has always been billed as a pro camera by Olympus, and all the magazines and blogs, as well as Olympus having a "Pro" line of lenses does that mean the marketing's wrong? The fact that well known, well established professional photographers use Olympus gear do they clearly not know what they're buying?
The EM1 came out well after MFT had been launched as a format. To entice the 'pro' market in. And it may be 'billed' as a 'pro' cam, but how many actual professional photographers use it, compared to other brands? You can slap a 'pro' label on anything; it's meaningless. There's loads of crappy bikes with 'Pro' this that and the other emblazoned on them, being ridden about; doesn't mean the TdF boys are gonna use them.

You're still not understanding how marketing works.

Olympus have proven themselves as excellent lens makers and innovators in regard to camera technology.

Olympus Live Comp/Live Time is my favourite camera tech to be introduced since the start of mirrorless. So clever, so simple to use and incredibly effective. I'll always have an Olympus body with me on travels just for those features alone.

I'm amazed no other camera manufacturer has done anything similar (Sony came close with its short lived PlayMemories in-camera app).

The EM1 came out well after MFT had been launched as a format. To entice the 'pro' market in. And it may be 'billed' as a 'pro' cam, but how many actual professional photographers use it, compared to other brands? You can slap a 'pro' label on anything; it's meaningless. There's loads of crappy bikes with 'Pro' this that and the other emblazoned on them, being ridden about; doesn't mean the TdF boys are gonna use them.

You're still not understanding how marketing works.
So if a brand starts out in one market it can't expand in to another, is that what you're saying? Have you ever used Olympus gear, I wish my Nikon and Sony kit was made as well and robust as that?

As for how many professionals use it, I'm not sure how relevant that is? Canon have had the lions share for decades, with Nikon in second (although they now keep swapping places with Sony), and 'new' player in the market is never going to steal that big a portion. Look at Canon, for a price point their bodies have been behind Nikon for a while yet they still have the majority of the market, and why's that? Because people are invested into a system. Pros will continue to use Canon predominantly not because it's the best, but because they're invested in it and it's familiar.

I don't ever recall Panasonic and Olympus starting out making M4/3 purely for hobbyists though tbh. Their aim has always been to make a high quality interchangeable lens system with reduced size and weight.

Last edited:
Back