Edit My Images
Yes
just bought an olympus xa2 for 1 euro including flash all working fine
i left a roll of film in for d&p
anyone used one of these?

just bought an olympus xa2 for 1 euro including flash all working fine
i left a roll of film in for d&p
anyone used one of these?

Cracking little camera with a very nice lens. And 1 euro is an absolute bargain.

Yes I have an XA2 and an XA
The XA is range-finder focussing. and is more adjustable, though the aperture and shutter speed are linked, you can choose the aperture. and you can compensate for back light with a little lever.
but it is hard to tell which picture was taken on which.
The XA used to go with me everywhere.

I have an XA4, it's one of my favourite cameras. Sharp lens, easy distance focus - enjoy it! I don't use the flash much, it has to be said.

I've got an XA - for me, it's the ultimate in pocketable cameras, and easy to use.

I love my XA3 and often pick it up before my Leica cameras. It's supremely pocketable and renders images with bags of character.

Remember:

The sky is up and far away (push up to select infinity focus)
The ground is down and close (push down to select close focus)

...and you won't have to take it away from your eye to take a photo :)

Our family had an XA2 back when it was a current model (but not the flash). I don't think there's a more pocketable 35mm camera, and the results are good. You can easily find replacement light seal kits and instructions if it's no longer light-tight - the foam tends to degrade after >30 years.

Wow thought it was crap but it seems there are enthusiasts,can't wait to see results,it is very pocketable thanks for the replys .

I have three of the little feckers! First one was my 11th birthday present in 1981! Cost £89, as I recall, with A11 flash and presentation case! Went just about every where with me for almost 1/4 of a century; probably has more miles on it than the space shuttle! Eventually succomed to a lens scratch circa 2003, which resulted in me being give the other two by relatives who had bought into widgetal!! The FOOLS!

11391687_1006696256021958_1103421917544607556_n.jpg

The one she took of me...

11329801_1006696466021937_2394268128148055603_n.jpg

Taking a picture of her!

Yup, daughter 'claimed' the extra spare one, to dabble with propper photography, ad loves it almost as much as me, for the tiny digital rivaling compactness, as well as the simplicity and the filminess and full-frame lovliness!

Fantastic cameras, they have ALWAYS been well regarded, and it is some-what gauling to see them now being regailed as 'Lomo' simply because they are so often found so cheap in charity and junk shops; when you have to consider that when new, THESE were an award winning bit of very expensive avate-guarde photo equipment. That £90 my first one cost in 1981, was FAR from a 'cheap' camera! I the same shop at the same time, that would have bought a brand new Olympus OM10 SLR and 50mm outfit; or an comprehensive Practika starter outfit, with maybe two or three lenses, a flash gun, tripod, some effects filters and spare film all in a flight case! Or maybe even a couple of them!

Whilst the meter-coupled automatic electronic exposure system made them a point and press easy to use camera, that won a lot of non enthusiast and often lady buyers, it was still regarded very highly for its image quality and versatility as well as its compact size and discreteness, which made it a popular choice for candid photographers and the Paperatsi of the era, in the semi and full pro arenas.

Its clam-shell lens-cap on/off switch was an award winning feature that quickly became common for compact cameras; whilst its diminutive dimensions set new standards of compact for compact cameras, that have seldom been matched; it still remains the smallest full-frame 35mm film camera ever put on the market, only the Minox 35 is smaller, but only when the lens is retracted! (One of mine is currently sat on the shelf next to a Canon Power-Shot compact, and its darn nearly as diminutive as even THAT modern, micro-sensor 'compact'!!) The electronic Automatc Exposure, was accurate and reliable, and in an era when a lot of reliance was placed on film latitude ad correction in printing, coupled to the cracking quality of the compound lens, made for very impressive, SLR rivaling image quality...

Yet, in the hands of non enthusiasts, it was a camera that was point and press simple to use, and opened the door to 'professional' quality mages, to a mass market, significantly women users, who at the time often shunned (or were discouraged form!) more involved 'enthusiast' cameras that begged more know-how to operate, and gave them a camera that delivered genuine SLR standard pictures, from something as easy to use as a 110 cartridge camera.

It really REALLY was a genuine land-mark camera, when it was released, and really was ground breaking, bringing both new standards to non-enthusiast photographers as well as new levels of useablity for them to do it.

There are just SO many reasons to appreciate this little camera, beyond the mere fact that t s STILL a cracking little picture taker! There really is, It Is a true and deserved Classc that has earned its place up there in the hall of fame of GREAT ad land-mark cameras.

You got yours for a euro; I got all three of mine for free! HOW ON EARTH does that happen?! How do you get such a bit of real 'history' more history you can still USE, and more get really great results from, (Example, "here's looking at you looking at me", shots probably excepted!! Blame cruddy out-of-date print film, and perhaps the mug behind the lens, not the camera!!!), for next to if not actually 'nothing'!?

Its actually incredible, BUT likely not to last, and in recent years interest in the model, and appreciation, does seem to have increased, and prices do seem to have risen.... you MIGHT have to pay as much as £20 for a nice example on e-bay now! As word seems to have got about! But who cares; there are probably more than enough to go around! They were popular enough when new that they managed to survive along side their supposed 'successor' the Mjiu, that packed in an inbuilt flash ad motor-wind on, and was o where near as much camera for it, to my mind, and experience, though those too do seem to have something of a small cult following like the real deal AX2.

Worth a mention that the XA and the XA1 are both very different animals; as has been mentioned, the slightly earlier XA is a proper range-finder camera with a manual focus control, and slightly larger body to accommodate it. Conceived for a more elevated enthusiast market, who would significantly judge it almost exclusively by its possible mage quality, rather than any innovation by way of its automatic exposure control, or novelty of its diminutive dimensions; it achieved some applause if not such great acclaim as the XA2, that had so much more impact and didn't just wow the market, it MADE the market for easy to use, compact compacts! The XA1 on the other hand? Well, it was a cost-cutting exercise to answer the only gripe any-one could rally critasise the XA2 for, which was that it WAS an expensive camera! The XA1, then stripped out the electrickery of the XA2, as well as the zone focus mechanism, and replaced it tighter aperture, fixed focus lens, and used a battery-less, selenium cell array around the lens to both meter ambient light levels and power the more limited range of electronic shutter speeds. It certainly helped put 35mm film cameras in the hands of non-enthusiast users, being 'cheap' and, it could delver almost as good image quality in better lighting conditions, but did lack some of the versatility, and wan't as nice or easy to use or give as reliable results, and as the ugly sister, was far less loved in general, and seems to have remained so!

But, the XA2... its not a camera it is an icon.. a ground breaking camera, a bit of history ad legacy that is as much f a joy to use today as t was thirty odd years ago, and can still take stunning photos.. when some-one puts half decent film in one, and points it at something a bit more photo-worthy than my ugly mush! Slap some film it it; pop it in your pocket, and go take photo's with it! That has always been what they are best at, and mine are still doing! EN-JOY!

Here's a Flickr pool for XA2 images: https://www.flickr.com/groups/olympusxa2/pool/ . Obviously some people are using it like a Lomo, as Mike mentions (someone on there doesn't seem to want to fix the light leaks!), but you can see what it's capable of in many of the high quality 'straight' images. Vignetting seems to be quite common - if you don't want this (some people do), it's probably better to use faster film, so the autoexposure can choose a smaller aperture where possible.

I have three of the little feckers! First one was my 11th birthday present in 1981! Cost £89, as I recall, with A11 flash and presentation case! Went just about every where with me for almost 1/4 of a century; probably has more miles on it than the space shuttle! Eventually succomed to a lens scratch circa 2003, which resulted in me being give the other two by relatives who had bought into widgetal!! The FOOLS!

The one she took of me...

Taking a picture of her!

Yup, daughter 'claimed' the extra spare one, to dabble with propper photography, ad loves it almost as much as me, for the tiny digital rivaling compactness, as well as the simplicity and the filminess and full-frame lovliness!

Fantastic cameras, they have ALWAYS been well regarded, and it is some-what gauling to see them now being regailed as 'Lomo' simply because they are so often found so cheap in charity and junk shops; when you have to consider that when new, THESE were an award winning bit of very expensive avate-guarde photo equipment. That £90 my first one cost in 1981, was FAR from a 'cheap' camera! I the same shop at the same time, that would have bought a brand new Olympus OM10 SLR and 50mm outfit; or an comprehensive Practika starter outfit, with maybe two or three lenses, a flash gun, tripod, some effects filters and spare film all in a flight case! Or maybe even a couple of them!

Whilst the meter-coupled automatic electronic exposure system made them a point and press easy to use camera, that won a lot of non enthusiast and often lady buyers, it was still regarded very highly for its image quality and versatility as well as its compact size and discreteness, which made it a popular choice for candid photographers and the Paperatsi of the era, in the semi and full pro arenas.

Its clam-shell lens-cap on/off switch was an award winning feature that quickly became common for compact cameras; whilst its diminutive dimensions set new standards of compact for compact cameras, that have seldom been matched; it still remains the smallest full-frame 35mm film camera ever put on the market, only the Minox 35 is smaller, but only when the lens is retracted! (One of mine is currently sat on the shelf next to a Canon Power-Shot compact, and its darn nearly as diminutive as even THAT modern, micro-sensor 'compact'!!) The electronic Automatc Exposure, was accurate and reliable, and in an era when a lot of reliance was placed on film latitude ad correction in printing, coupled to the cracking quality of the compound lens, made for very impressive, SLR rivaling image quality...

Yet, in the hands of non enthusiasts, it was a camera that was point and press simple to use, and opened the door to 'professional' quality mages, to a mass market, significantly women users, who at the time often shunned (or were discouraged form!) more involved 'enthusiast' cameras that begged more know-how to operate, and gave them a camera that delivered genuine SLR standard pictures, from something as easy to use as a 110 cartridge camera.

It really REALLY was a genuine land-mark camera, when it was released, and really was ground breaking, bringing both new standards to non-enthusiast photographers as well as new levels of useablity for them to do it.

There are just SO many reasons to appreciate this little camera, beyond the mere fact that t s STILL a cracking little picture taker! There really is, It Is a true and deserved Classc that has earned its place up there in the hall of fame of GREAT ad land-mark cameras.

You got yours for a euro; I got all three of mine for free! HOW ON EARTH does that happen?! How do you get such a bit of real 'history' more history you can still USE, and more get really great results from, (Example, "here's looking at you looking at me", shots probably excepted!! Blame cruddy out-of-date print film, and perhaps the mug behind the lens, not the camera!!!), for next to if not actually 'nothing'!?

Its actually incredible, BUT likely not to last, and in recent years interest in the model, and appreciation, does seem to have increased, and prices do seem to have risen.... you MIGHT have to pay as much as £20 for a nice example on e-bay now! As word seems to have got about! But who cares; there are probably more than enough to go around! They were popular enough when new that they managed to survive along side their supposed 'successor' the Mjiu, that packed in an inbuilt flash ad motor-wind on, and was o where near as much camera for it, to my mind, and experience, though those too do seem to have something of a small cult following like the real deal AX2.

Worth a mention that the XA and the XA1 are both very different animals; as has been mentioned, the slightly earlier XA is a proper range-finder camera with a manual focus control, and slightly larger body to accommodate it. Conceived for a more elevated enthusiast market, who would significantly judge it almost exclusively by its possible mage quality, rather than any innovation by way of its automatic exposure control, or novelty of its diminutive dimensions; it achieved some applause if not such great acclaim as the XA2, that had so much more impact and didn't just wow the market, it MADE the market for easy to use, compact compacts! The XA1 on the other hand? Well, it was a cost-cutting exercise to answer the only gripe any-one could rally critasise the XA2 for, which was that it WAS an expensive camera! The XA1, then stripped out the electrickery of the XA2, as well as the zone focus mechanism, and replaced it tighter aperture, fixed focus lens, and used a battery-less, selenium cell array around the lens to both meter ambient light levels and power the more limited range of electronic shutter speeds. It certainly helped put 35mm film cameras in the hands of non-enthusiast users, being 'cheap' and, it could delver almost as good image quality in better lighting conditions, but did lack some of the versatility, and wan't as nice or easy to use or give as reliable results, and as the ugly sister, was far less loved in general, and seems to have remained so!

But, the XA2... its not a camera it is an icon.. a ground breaking camera, a bit of history ad legacy that is as much f a joy to use today as t was thirty odd years ago, and can still take stunning photos.. when some-one puts half decent film in one, and points it at something a bit more photo-worthy than my ugly mush! Slap some film it it; pop it in your pocket, and go take photo's with it! That has always been what they are best at, and mine are still doing! EN-JOY!

Actually the XA" at 16.63 cubic inches is, very slightly smaller than the XA2 at 17.10 cubic inches ( 2.567 x 4.123 x 1.572) and (2.598 x 4.102 x 1.605) respectively. though their weights with batteries is almost identical at 221.15 grams against 22.10 grams. The whole range XA, XA1, XA2, XA3 and XA4 are almost identical in size.

I also have all three main flashes the A11 which usually comes with the cameras the A16 which is twice the power and the very rare A1L which has a built in non rechargeable lithium battery.
You will find very little about it on the web, the problem with it, is that is a strip down and solder job to replace the battery ( which I have done) the advantage is that it has a fast 1.5 second recycle time, It has near enough the same power as the A11.
The only flash that I do not have is the lower power A9m which was a cut down version to match the cheap XA1 camera, though it can be used, as can all the other flashes on the entire XA range of cameras.

The XA was made popular with rock climbers and mountaineers by Chris Brasher. who amongst his other sporting attributes was a fine photographer.

The infamous Ken Rockwell prefers the XA2 to the XA, says avoid the XA1...

Actually the XA" at 16.63 cubic inches is, very slightly smaller than the XA2 at 17.10 cubic inches ( 2.567 x 4.123 x 1.572) and (2.598 x 4.102 x 1.605) respectively. though their weights with batteries is almost identical at 221.15 grams against 22.10 grams. The whole range XA, XA1, XA2, XA3 and XA4 are almost identical in size.

I also have all three main flashes the A11 which usually comes with the cameras the A16 which is twice the power and the very rare A1L which has a built in non rechargeable lithium battery.
You will find very little about it on the web, the problem with it, is that is a strip down and solder job to replace the battery ( which I have done) the advantage is that it has a fast 1.5 second recycle time, It has near enough the same power as the A11.
The only flash that I do not have is the lower power A9m which was a cut down version to match the cheap XA1 camera, though it can be used, as can all the other flashes on the entire XA range of cameras.

The XA was made popular with rock climbers and mountaineers by Chris Brasher. who amongst his other sporting attributes was a fine photographer.
The plot thickens

The infamous Ken Rockwell prefers the XA2 to the XA, says avoid the XA1...

that figures... he is always controversial. I have both but always chose the XA. it s sharper at wide apertures. And gives greater scope for adjustment of exposure and focus. but requires a touch more thought.

Well if you get the first light seal kit in correctly maybe you could post one of the left over light seals to me happy to help with paynent

Will let you know how I get on Ladybird. I only ordered them a few days ago so it may be some time before I carry out this DIY project but I don't object to sharing any leftover seals.

Great cameras. The XA is the better camera, but the XA2 is simpler and produces excellent results.

I've got a number of XA/XA2/XA3 cameras and like them all very much. I have replaced the seals in all of them, using Jon Goodman's seals. At the time he sold the material uncut and in packs with sufficient material to do a number of cameras. He has since ceased to sell the material in bulk and started to sell pre-cut kits, tailored to a specific model. I thoroughly recommend his seals. In particular, the seal strip which is pressed into the groove in the camera and remains unglued, is a real boon. He did post a guide to sealing the XA series here:

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Olympus_XA.pdf

I hope you manage to find some suitable seals.

I was actually looking for light seals for an Olympus RC 35 and an internet search brought up aki-asahi.com. I added a set of XA2 seals to the order to resurrect this lovely little camera too. They were $7 each for a pack of 3 with a 5% discount for a multiple order and $4 shipping. Payment was by Paypal so I was pretty happy to order. Will post further when I receive them.

Though I'd toss in this bit of info for anyone who doesn't get great results because of the zone focusing.

This more or less applies to the Trip too.

Some numbers in feet.

Focus range with number in brackets being best focus.

3 - 6 (4)

6 - 16 (9)

16 - infinity (39)

Although, in reality with iso400 film, the middle setting gives huge depth of focus.

A lot of us here use Jon Goodman

jgood21967@aol.com

He's in the States but very quick.
Another vote for Jon here, top all round guy, really helpful and kits supplied very quickly even though he is based on the other side of the pond. He's also a TP member, although not very active.

I'm going to end up getting an XA2 at this rate...

I can't fathom a reason to choose an XA over an MJU1

maybe the cost to buy one ??? I dunno

You can't really argue with someone who just wants one or just likes them, its an individual choice, but I've had loads and the MJU1 is far less of a faff than an XA for the extra £.

:)

I can't fathom a reason to choose an XA over an MJU1

maybe the cost to buy one ??? I dunno

You can't really argue with someone who just wants one or just likes them, its an individual choice, but I've had loads and the MJU1 is far less of a faff than an XA for the extra £.

:)

But the XA is much less automatic than a mju. I've had a mju 1 and still have a mju 2; don't remember much about the former but the latter is annoyingly auto. If you want no flash you have to turn it off each time you open the clamshell.

Sometimes auto is good, sometimes it's not what you (I) want!

Its the only thing I can fault it on, flash set to on by default.
But is that really a big issue, I mean if you forget to turn it off, how many pictures will it actually ruin ?
Heck, with the XA I was 20 frames in to a roll before I realized you have to select focusing distance, and there's only 3 of those.
Nah, I'm firmly in MJU territory, its a go anywhere bung in the pocket quick shooter with no faff, the XA is the same but adds faff, that's not what I'm looking for in a compact of this type, if I'm gonna accept faff, I might as well shoot an RF, forget about the convenience of size and have total control.

But, it takes all sorts to make a World, XA's are popular for a reason...:)

I can't fathom a reason to choose an XA over an MJU1:)
My Gran had the first Mjui in the family, bought for a solo-holiday to go see my Dad,without my Grandad. Choice was made on the merits that it was all the point and shoot numpti-friendliness of the XA2, plus a bit, and still delivered the goods as far as quality...
The assisted loading was the first thing to vex her.. it didn't assist 'enough'! The amount of current draw for the motor wind and flash, was the next; and the red-eye reduction blinded every bludy-one!
It was, in t's way a good non-enthusiast camera of the era; but it wasn't the ground breaking icon that the XA2 was, and it WAS significantly over automated; you couldn't fudge stuff with the ASA dial, or keep it quick ad easy with the zone focus; the camera was going to do things IT'S way whether you wanted it to or not.. and two of them in the family died early, they were no-where near as robust and take-anywhere as the XA2's..
For how much XA2's command, the price of them now is particularly irrelevant; the usability mute; and what remains is that the Mjui basically ISN'T the ground-breaking land-mark icon that the XA2 is, and now, in a world where you have to be an enthusiast to want any film camera, they just don't have the same engagement either to use or stick on the display shelf.

Fair enough Mike, I totally disagree with virtually every point, but that's what expressing an opinion is all about...(y)

Back