OM-1 Exposure Meter

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I've been given by my Mother her original 1975 (I think) Olympus OM-1. It's in great condition and mechanically works perfectly.

The old cell battery for the light meter was still in the camera, probably an original from the 80s, but it was a bit leaky so I tossed it. Naturally that type of battery is from a bygone era and full of metals no longer allowed, so I purchased a modern equivalent in the form of a V625U cell.

My problem is however, the exposure meter, whilst it seems to function (as in, the reading is steady and looks as though it's working correctly), it shows only a correct exposure when set to f/1.8 and a shutter speed of 1/2 second. The film dial is set to 400 (I assume ASA and ISO are the same), which matches the Ilford Delta 400 film.

Can anyone explain if I'm doing something wrong here? I'm new to film, but have plenty of experience in the digital world, so naturally I'm quite aware how wrong 1/2 sec exposures will be!

Cheers!

Send it to Miles Whitehead, he’ll sort it out for you and add a thingummybob that enables you to use modern cheap button cell batteries.

Send it to Miles Whitehead, he’ll sort it out for you and add a thingummybob that enables you to use modern cheap button cell batteries.

:plus1: Just had one of mine done by this fella, did a fantastic job on a camera that I thought was past it (y)

Oh, and mind your language. You're not allowed to use the word d****al here!! ;)

Back