OM10 - Problems?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Wonder if I could get some advice

Bought an OM10 from the UKs favourite auction site for a paltry sum. It looks in good overal condition, but closer inspection reveals:

Very dim viewfinder - this appears to be caused by the mirror not returning to a down position ie lowering with a bit of manual assistance works, but it springs back to the middle when released.

The shutter curtain on the camera side looks rusty - it's not as it cloth, but the surface is covered in red and white deposits - me thinks possibly mould or fungus? The backside is clean and looks fine.

The winder appears jammed - will not move and the shutter will not fire (it has no batteries in it - so I'm guess it could be wound, but can't be fired - not sure if it has an electric shutter though).

The light seals have all perished. Normal for a camera of this age, but I'd like to have known about it first.

The camera was sold as functional, but I'm suspecting it isn't. Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on these symptoms and confirm that they are proper faults - as much for my own assurance as anything else.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mmm, unless you got it for a very bargainicious price, I'd be tempted to return if it was sold as functional. they crop up all the time and can be bought for very little money.
I've never had an OM10 but have had a few 1's and 2's and although some of them may have been tatty they never had any fungus issues or jammed shutters.

Although come to think of it they are an auto camera so maybe they do need a battry for the shutter to fire, I'm sure there'll be an OM10 expert along in a minute (y)

Last edited:
Cool thanks guys

I'll be getting some batteries tonight - so that should sort those bits out.

Keep you posted on the other bits

I would like to go on record as a class A muppet!

Looking at what I though was a grungy shutter is actually the pattern on it!! In my defence I will say that I had my sunglasses on when I first looked (having left my proper glasses at work). But it did make me laugh when I realised tonight.

Seals do need doing though, but it looks like theyre pretty much gone, so there will not be much residue to clear out.

Eitherway I shoud be able to burn some film tommorow and see how it goes.

When I was in my teens I always wanted one of these.......it's only taken twenty plus years to get one!

new batteries in , shutter working alright ??

I haven't put a roll of film though my OM10 in about 20 years but it still fires the shutter and is in minty condition.

Only thing wrong with it is the battery check failed when it was 18 months old. I used to change the batteries once a year and never had any problems.

Maybe time to bung a cheap film in it and one in my minty Fed4L as well :D

Hi Guys - pleased to report all is well with the OM! Dropped in some new batteries - and it fired into life. All is looking good. I'm going to take it down to brands tommorow and use it for some shots of the kids and surroudings.

Donut - looking at your address you're certainly in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for your help guys - I must learn not rush things so much!

Back