OMG , camera bags !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how many

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I only had one , Then the manfrotto deal = 2 Then I purchased the Protactic 450 AW = 3
I also have a roller bag with my P 6x7 kit in it = 4 , Also have a Slingshot 202AW = 5 and a Canon bag with my EOS 650D =6 , and just realised I have 4 more with various film camera kits = 10 and counting

OMG I need help :D:canon::nikon::olympus::pentax::film::jaffa:

How many do you have

lol, you are worse than me, I gave a couple away to the local Heart Foundation Charity shop, they were over the moon.

1 Domke and 3 Billinghams, and yes - they are all in use at one time or another, though the Domke (an f-4) might be for the chop.

Last edited:
You can never have a perfect bag for all your kit..[emoji21]

I think I have about 5.

But I don't need at least 2 of those. But can't seem to sell them :(

But I don't need at least 2 of those. But can't seem to sell them :(
Well if there's a bag in this thread, any bag in this thread which is airline carry-on friendly and would take a gripped 5DII, 16-35, 100-400 and maybe a legacy 50 in padded splendour, you owe it to those of us with insufficient baggage to show us what we're missing!

You just prompted me to do a count:

- A big Lowepro shoulderbag that I use for a somewhat minimal 4x5 setup (1-2 lenses)
- Crumpler backpack that I use for a more comprehensive 4x5 kit (3-4 lenses)
- Peli 1510 for my Pentax 67 kit/location shoots
- Billingham Hadley Pro, used to be an everyday bag
- Domke F2 for carrying my Pentax 67
- 2x Peak Design Everyday Backpacks (30L and 20L), I use them when I have to carry my laptop + camera kit, the 30L I got from the initial Kickstarter and the 20L later on when I wanted something smaller. They’re my everyday bags now.
- F Stop Ajna for international travel/hiking
- ILE Mini Photobag, ideal for a single body/minimal 35mm/Medium format setups. Often stored inside the Ajna as a daybag for when I reach my destination
- F64 backpack for my 8x10 kit, I also have a shoulder bag for the 8x10 but it’s ridiculously heavy so a backpack it is.

TL;DR: lots of bags (too many bags actually), don’t really have one that does it all! I could go for a more comprehensive F-Stop ICU setup to cover everything up to 4x5 but it’d only really remove the need for my Crumpler, the rest I use on a pretty regular basis.

Making rash gender assumpions, but

this formula works with camera bags but also for handbags and shoes.

ideal number = current number + 1

In my case, current bags are below:

Peli 1560 roller case just in case the world ends.
Lowepro Vertex AW300, for when a backpack is required - hiking or where terrain isn't suitable for a roller case.
Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 - for when a shoulder bag is more appropriate.
Lowepro Urban Messanger - meets airline carry-on regulations and looks like a messenger satchel.
Think Tank airport airstream - new acquisition. May supplant the above.

Plus an old one holding my film camera equipment
Plus another old one holding some video cameras.
Plus an old small one holding a compact camera

Lowepro Vertex AW200 (for sale)

Last edited:
I can get that list in my Airport Essentials Think Tank Back pack. It is my carry on and on me looks a normal size but on a big bloke would look tiny. Not the most padded but handy. I replaced the belt with one of the Think Tank belts. I could get a lot more in it than the weight allowance but don't risk it.

I have a Lowepro Flipside 400AW II (from the recent crazy offer!) which is replacing the 300 - I expect.....
I have a Manfrotto hiking bag with camera insert.
I have a Firetrap messenger bag with a perfectly fitting UCI for when city walking (no tripod) rather then hiking walking.

That's the ones "in use"

I have an old Crumpler messenger and another crap thing but they just store my film stuff & other crap in them & don't actually get used.

The problem is as your kit changes, the bags you have become no longer *right* for you.
My Kata rucksack was bought when I had a Canon 60D with EFS lenses. Now I have a 6D with L lenses, it becomes tricky to fit it in.
Besides that, it only holds, camera plus two lenses in the padded section, leaving the top free to carry other stuff like food, drink and jacket. But if I'm shooting an event, I was shoulder bag where I can access lenses quickly. So I have one of those, but even that doesn't hold everything right.
I have a small shoulder bag which is good for family day trips, it'll hold body with lens, plus one other lens.
So that's 3 bags. Then I have 2 older boxy 80s/90s shoulder bags, one that came with my Minolta SLR, and one that came with an Olympus OM film kit from a charity shop.
So, that's 5 in total, and I do need a better rucksack...

Well if there's a bag in this thread, any bag in this thread which is airline carry-on friendly and would take a gripped 5DII, 16-35, 100-400 and maybe a legacy 50 in padded splendour, you owe it to those of us with insufficient baggage to show us what we're missing!

I've got clik elite obscura 30 which I actually bought back in the day for travels with A99+70-400mm, 16-35 and a 50mm. It gave quick and easy access to A99+70-400mm. Also has crap loads for space to carry everything else when you are on travels. And its airline friendly (just the right size)

Now that I have bought a 100-400mm recently I may be thinking of keeping it. So better snap it before I change my mind ;)
Only downside for you may be it not being able to fit a gripped DSLR.

I also have tamrac 5535 Adventure messenger bag which I don't really use at all...

I have two, both Lowepro AW, one was large enough to have everything in it (some kit now sold) and the other as smaller one to carry on walks etc that took a subset of kit.

I have had the same old Nikon shoulder bag for 10 years. I know walk lopsided.... just purchasing a Lowepro from good ole TP second hand will prob do for the next 10

In my defence they range from Tiddly Widdly to HUMUNGOUS ! So I justify it by telling myself that they all serve a purpose. :D

About 15-20, in the name of god help me !!!!! :(
Yup about the same. Currently favouring the Domke F2 and the Peak Design 30L however have an old style crumble muffin top with rain cover that is one I always go back to

I've said this before, I am convinced it's a conspiracy by the bag manufacturers to produce bags that are never quite right so that you keep buying more in the search for the perfect bag.
Indeed . Same business model as fuji lol

I use camera bags like some people used memory cards, when they are full I get another one.

I must have... Emmmm.... one or two... :thinking:
Some were good some were bad. I'm sorry I swopped my Billingham, at one time I had a homemade one that survived a total ducking when a bridge collapsed under my weight... well it was a home made bridge, gear survived just fine. I went home soggy.
Now I just pretty much use two, the AW500? backpack for loads of kit, and a small shoulder type if I'm going light with one camera and a lens or two.

Last edited:
The answer to the question "How many camera bags to you need?" Is the same as actual cameras.

1 more :)

I currently have 5 that get decent use

1. Billingham 335
2. Lowepro Flipside 400 AW
3. Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650 AW
4. Kata DR465
5. Thinktank Retrospective 5

Plus a plethora of old bags that have come with old film kit I've bought.

Jeeze, I was packing a bag to take on holiday so I gave a quick count... not including hard cases (3) or lighting cases (2), I counted 14 bags of one sort or another.
3 or 4 of them could go as they haven't seen use in a long time, and probably won't anytime soon.

Last edited:
Jeeze, I was packing a bag to take on holiday so I gave a quick count... not including hard cases (3) or lighting cases (2), I counted 14 bags of one sort or another.
3 or 4 of them could go as they haven't seen use in a long time, and probably won't anytime soon.

Ah - hard cases and lighting cases?

3 and erm... 7 :)

I'm waiting for Chanel to bring one out darling then I shall sell a kidney to buy it

i can see 5 in that's in the bedroom about 4 more hiding not sure how many in the loft SWMBO has told me to get rid of some of them I said I would once she sorts out her handbags ;)

I don't see the issue, if they are all full of kit. I regularly take around 10 bags of kit on site, dependant upon the job

I have loads - and I hate the things!

I always find myself carrying a camera and an empty bag.

Steve.

currently i have 4 i think, oh and an old case that has a shoulder strap, currently have the lowe pro primus aw which i want to replace for a more useable day pack when walking, a crumpler one that fits a camera plus single additional lens, a tenba messenger 14 (lovely bag, just struggle with the weight through a single shoulder strap when its full) and a cheap rucksack i keep my film camera and lenses in that never leaves the house. Would really like the mindshift rotation pro to replace the primus as there is just so little capacity for carrying non-camera gear in that one that it makes life difficult. There really is no perfect solution though

Back