On camera flash direct vs bounce?

Edit My Images
No
I currently have a single speedlight attached directly to my camera (500d). The results I get from it are amazing compared to the built in flash. However, it seems like there is a trade off between iris detail and soft light:

If I use the built in flash the light is harsh and unflattering, but iris detail is amazing (especially children).

If I use the flash and bounce off the ceiling (or wall) the light becomes lovely and soft, but I start to get panda eyes.

If I raise the bounce card and point the flash slight towards the subject it reduces the shadowing, but the iris detail is still not as good as I want it.

Is this just something which is inevitable with both approaches, and it is only solved by moving the flash off camera and being able to fire soft light directly at my subject?

Basically I want the soft light from the bounce with the amazing iris detail of firing straight at the subject!

TIA,

A reflector, under the chin / below the chest, should be sufficent to bounce some light back up into the eyes and deal with the shadows.

What do you mean exactly by iris detail? Colour, size of pupil, catchlight? Can you post an example of with and without? It should be possible when we know what you want ;)

Just to clarify your last option, I might be wrong, but

if I were using a castchlight, I wouldn't be pointing the flash at the person, it would still be at the ceiling. The catchlight card would be planar to the person being photographed. Also, you are just using the catchlight card and not the dispersal/diffuser as well?

Is the iris being lit up too much by the speedlight, have you tried dialing in a little -ve exposure onto the flash?

I'm fond of my Dembe big flip-it flash reflector thingie, pushes quite of bit a light forward (if you want, you can adjust the angle) to fill shadows and create catch lights. It's never off my flash at weddings.

Hi Jim_Jam
I am not sure how much detail you need and I am by no means an expert but have recently had a bit more confidence to use my camera and speedlight around family members @ family party's. I have found that bounced flash gives really good results. These are few that were bounced behind and up ceiling angle.These were allready posted on here so just linked to them. Not sure how they are to yours re eye sharpness. Granted they are not close up's but in my experiance (limited) I have not seen a problem in eye sharpness.

Gaz

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/family.521653/

Last edited:
I had a similar problem and found that using the diffuser really helped I was also using a reflector and no trace of shadows on the face

Back