On the matter of paying customers.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Through some fluke of nature I seem to have sold 6 images off the back of my website. It's only to a friend of a friend of a friend type contact but it's a start.

What I would like to know from you seers is.......

How much would you pay for a4 or a3 print. Bespoke framed and pro printed (my mate does it on the cheap for me. top quality though) I think the cost of the print and frame will come in at around £18 for a4 and £25 for a3.

I was thinking £50 for the a4's and £75 for the larger ones. I would feel a little rude charging more, but I don't want to get into the same trap as Pete nearly found himself in. I mean, I would really like to ask £150 for the a3's but it may be taking the mickey a bit.

opinions?

Would it not be easier to supply just a print and leave it upto the customer to mount/frame as they like? Long term it is easier to ship, requires less work and allows for greater flexibility.

They specificaly asked if I could have them framed, they are going to collect them direct from myself as they live locally, so shipping not a problem. Plus I need to support my mates ailing business!

Well as long as you cover your costs in time and materials anything over that is profit. So, work out your baseline price and then take it from there.

BTW, frames can be expensive if they are half decent.

The thing is Gandhi, as long as you are serving your customers, are happy with the return you are making and also helping out a friend's business then there should be smiles all round. I am sure that your client base is completely different to the one that Pete is aiming himself at ;) Personal customers don't have the same budgets as companies.

For your base I would expect at least 50% clear profit (more is not unreasonable) as you are doing the majority of the work, although your printer/framer has material costs but I am sure he is covering those in his prices to you.

Hi there, I charge £75.00 for A4 and £125.00 for A3 framed, and have had no complaints.

well, the quote I've had for the framing is 150 notes for 6 a3 prints, framed and mounted. But thats mates-rates though. I'm starting to lean towards charging the higher end of the scale, and making them exclusive. They aren't shots that I'd sell through stock so I have no probems with doing this if I can command a higher price for them. Although, if the truth be told, I'm happy with the thought that my photo's are hanging in someones house and giving them pleasure.

But I'm about to buy a new camera and need the money. so it's time to milk the cash cow!

If some minor miracle were to happen and someone wanted to buy a picture of mine what are the correct ways of going about things, sorry to go into stupid mode again. Depending on what they wanted for example, a magazine says it wants to use a picture of mine, like Steves red arrows lets say, what are the going rates/procedures for this, do I still own the picture or once the mag has paid for it, is it theirs to own and I have to delete mine? As I don't photograph for a living (thank god - more practice req.) how does this effect my legally. Ta.

Depends really. On all fronts.

If it was for a magazine, such as steves was used, you probably wouldn't get paid for it, these shots are reader submissions. (correct me if I'm wrong here) If it's for stock photography, or paid usage, then the price depends on the usage, industry, where it's published, cover or inside, editorial or advertising, size, print run etc. I would suggest you look at the pricing policy of places like getty, corbis, magnum, alamy, istock, shutterstock etc. It will give you a general idea of the prices of stock photography.

As for selling to private clients, depends how much you feel like charging. Some 'fine art' photogs charge prices upwards of #250 for large prints, but they tend to be a limited run or one offs.

As for your rights to the copyright, again it depends on the usage and how you manage the license. If you sell an image royalty free, the client can use it whenever and wherever they like. If it's licensed, rights managed, rights exclusive etc then there are constraints placed on the images usage, which may include your ability to sell the image to somebody else for a period of time.

Not an exhaustive explanation but I hope it goes someway to answering your question!

I was paid well for my red arrows image by the magazine, it was agreed in advance before I submitted the photo. I also retained all rights to the shot and gave permission for them to print it in the mag only.

I think it is fairly standard terms these days but you can always check before hand as most mags have their terms and conditions displayed in the mag and also on their website.

i got £10 for first one i had published, but then it WAS the size of a postage stamp....

For rates etc buy a copy of thr BFP Handbook, it lists all the magazines newspapers card and poster publishes etc. It also gives you an idea of what they pay and all the contact numbers.
Im still getting paid for the nas crash pics!!!!! everytime he appears in court the papers re-run the main shot. £50.00 a time as a library pic

I used to frame large prints for customers sometimes. Decent frames which do the shot justice aren't cheap and doing a proper framing job is time consuming, especially if it involves cutting mattes, so £75 would be right at the bottom end of what I'd charge for a framed A3 print, with £100 or more being more realistic. but by no means OTT, when you consider all your costs and time.

The lab I used to use did a canvas printing service. What it involved was stripping the emulsion surface off the enlargement like a very thin skin and then heat bonding it to a piece of canvas so that the texture showed through the actual print. It was very effective with portraits, and people were so chuffed I don't remember anyone quibbling about the cost.

Back