On1 Photo Raw 2021

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
I'm considering getting "On1 Photo Raw 2021" after reading several reviews and watching some YouTube vid's I must admit to figuring that it's very good.
I've already got "On1 Photo Raw 2020" but I just wondered if there is anyone on TP that's using the 2021 version and if so what's your opinion on it.
I'd be really interested to hear your findings.

George.

Hi George,

I am a 2021 user although it's not my prime aditing tool. It is a step up from the 2020 version (which I had before) and whilst they both do much the same thing 202321 just seems to do it better. The integration of Portrait AI into the main program is worth the price alone - if you take portraits, of course. There has just been an update to the 2021 version but I haven't really tested that out yet.

Sorry if I'm not being much help :)

Hi George,

I am a 2021 user although it's not my prime aditing tool. It is a step up from the 2020 version (which I had before) and whilst they both do much the same thing 202321 just seems to do it better. The integration of Portrait AI into the main program is worth the price alone - if you take portraits, of course. There has just been an update to the 2021 version but I haven't really tested that out yet.

Sorry if I'm not being much help :)

That's very helpful Steve, many thanks I shall almost certainly download it in the very near future.

I use On1 Photo Raw 2021.5. Although I am still very much at the beginning of my journey and haven't used anything else current to compare it to. Do they offer you a good upgrade price because it seems to be on 50% OFF (I paid about £40-45 with upgrade to 2021.5 when released) quite often? If you have any questions about it though I can try something out for you..

I use On1 Photo Raw 2021.5. Although I am still very much at the beginning of my journey and haven't used anything else current to compare it to. Do they offer you a good upgrade price because it seems to be on 50% OFF (I paid about £40-45 with upgrade to 2021.5 when released) quite often? If you have any questions about it though I can try something out for you..

Many thanks for that Mikey, yes the price they have offered to me as an existing customer is very good with a discount code. No questions as yet just really interested to hear what people thought of it.

I've been using On1 Photo Raw as my only raw developer for about 4 years now and I would never go back to Lightroom, since I prefer the results from On1
In terms of UI On1 is very similar to LR, but with the addition of Layers and masks, On1 will allow many things that I would previously used Photoshop for. For more difficult operations I have Affinity Photo, which is a worthy replacement for Photoshop, and a real bargain.
I wouldn't say that On1 2021.5 was a radical step up from 2021, more of a refinement.
On1 are advertising a substantial improvement in noise performance in an coming upgrade and I'm looking forward to the next version.
As has been pointed out, On1's upgrade path offers a very good discount.

Last edited:
I do use On1 2021 but probably not as much as I should as I still find I can do what I need in Lightroom however I would say don't jump in right now as Brian G says they are releasing a new noise software next month but as far as I can see not updating the noise options in the current 2021 RAW version and that is rather annoying to 2021 users. I will be waiting to see if this new noise option will be included in there 2022 version of RAW, they always seem to release new versions October/November time. Russ.

I've been using On1 Photo Raw as my only raw developer for about 4 years now and I would never go back to Lightroom, since I prefer the results from On1
In terms of UI On1 is very similar to LR, but with the addition of Layers and masks, On1 will allow many things that I would previously used Photoshop for. For more difficult operations I have Affinity Photo, which is a worthy replacement for Photoshop, and a real bargain.
I wouldn't say that On1 2021.5 was a radical step up from 2021, more of a refinement.
On1 are advertising a substantial improvement in noise performance in an coming upgrade and I'm looking forward to the next version.
As has been pointed out, On1's upgrade path offers a very good discount.

Thank you Brian, appreciate your reply.

"I do not and have or have I used LR or PS for quite a few years now. The majority of my PP work is done with Affinity Photo either on my MacBook Pro or iPad Pro, I do most of my culling at the moment using On1 Photo Raw 2020 version and to be perfectly honest only very recently started looking at it as a possibility for the RAW part of my editing. I have now decided to get On1 Photo RAW 2021.5 version as from what I have heard on TP and after watching a number of YouTube Vid's I'm pretty impressed"

I do use On1 2021 but probably not as much as I should as I still find I can do what I need in Lightroom however I would say don't jump in right now as Brian G says they are releasing a new noise software next month but as far as I can see not updating the noise options in the current 2021 RAW version and that is rather annoying to 2021 users. I will be waiting to see if this new noise option will be included in there 2022 version of RAW, they always seem to release new versions October/November time. Russ.

Thank you Russell, appreciate your reply.

"That's very interesting and I didn't know anything about the new noise software. I'll see if I can find out a bit more about it before I purchase"

I find the way they talk about it very weird, as if it's a standalone product that works as a plugin for photoshop etc. but they never actually mention it working within ON1 Photo Raw.

On1 make individual components available as plugins for LR, PS etc, and it's likely that's how this will be released too. I would expect it to be part of 2022 as well, but not 2021.5 - they need you to have a reason to upgrade next year.

On1 make individual components available as plugins for LR, PS etc, and it's likely that's how this will be released too. I would expect it to be part of 2022 as well, but not 2021.5 - they need you to have a reason to upgrade next year.
You would expect them to make it a "plugin" for On1 as well when they release it. Like an upgrade to make it 2021.75 that they can charge more for and then include it in 2022...

I'm considering getting "On1 Photo Raw 2021" after reading several reviews and watching some YouTube vid's I must admit to figuring that it's very good.
I've already got "On1 Photo Raw 2020" but I just wondered if there is anyone on TP that's using the 2021 version and if so what's your opinion on it.
I'd be really interested to hear your findings.

George.

I'd say trial it and see. I really liked the 2020 version but I found DXO was more "me" in terms of what it does, and doesn't have and I found it laid out more to my liking - but it's very good indeed.

I'd say trial it and see. I really liked the 2020 version but I found DXO was more "me" in terms of what it does, and doesn't have and I found it laid out more to my liking - but it's very good indeed.

Thank you Steve, appreciate your reply.

Absolutely agree. Give it a trial and see if it suits you.
I auditioned several LR alternatives before changing and I remember that Dxo was a strong contender, although I'm afraid I cannot remember why I eventually rejected Dxo in favour of On1.
One other Lightroom alternative I would recommend trialing is Exposure X6, which is very like LR in look and feel, although nearly all the alternatives lack some of the cataloging features of Lightroom.
Personally, I was happy to do away with the necessity to "Catalog" all my images before I could work on them in Lightroom. On1 allows you to simply browse your hard drive for images and allows you to edit them without "Importing" them and also search images by title and keywords.
With On1, someone can bring you an image file on, for example, a USB drive and you can open it and work on it very easily.

Last edited:
I find the way they talk about it very weird, as if it's a standalone product that works as a plugin for photoshop etc. but they never actually mention it working within ON1 Photo Raw.
The way the email was worded, I assumed it was a forthcoming upgrade to v2021.5
On1 normally announce major upgrades (v2022?) to the program late in the year (Nov/December).
It's far too early in the year to be introducing a new revision, so I assume any enhancements are to the existing (v2012.5) edition.

Absolutely agree. Give it a trial and see if it suits you.
I auditioned several LR alternatives before changing and I remember that Dxo was a strong contender, although I'm afraid I cannot remember why I eventually rejected Dxo in favour of On1.
One other Lightroom alternative I would recommend trialing is Exposure X6, which is very like LR in look and feel, although nearly all the alternatives lack some of the cataloging features of Lightroom.
Personally, I was happy to do away with the necessity to "Catalog" all my images before I could work on them in Lightroom. On1 allows you to simply browse your hard drive for images and allows you to edit them without "Importing" them and also search images by title and keywords.
With On1, someone can bring you an image file on, for example, a USB drive and you can open it and work on it very easily.

100% LR and C1 used Catalogues which I don't like - On1, Silky Pix and DXO don't and store all the edits in sidecar files in the original folder you stored the image. Organise your folders well - and it beats any catalogue IMHO. Back it up - easy - copy and paste the folder and job done.

DXO has less features than on1 - but IMHO has a slightly better RAW engine (comparing 645z PEF files) and UI (that's down to opinion).

I could use on1 raw and be very very happy with it.

On1 Photo RAW 2021.5 now purchased & downloaded. I've not had a chance to play around with it just yet but hopefully later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
I can't stand sidecar files - they might be tiny in size, but the effect is that they fill up picture folders with litter. With DxO Photolab, however, there's a choice - you can eschew sidecars and elect to use a database only.

I can't stand sidecar files - they might be tiny in size, but the effect is that they fill up picture folders with litter. With DxO Photolab, however, there's a choice - you can eschew sidecars and elect to use a database only.

You can - but if you move the folder into another drive...boom...edit lost. Copy file + side car to another drive and back up done.

I agree they clog up the folder but it's a small price to pay for the ease in which they work.

You're not a Mac user - EVERY file has a sidecar file.

You're not a Mac user
Only when it's raining!
You can - but if you move the folder into another drive...boom...edit lost. Copy file + side car to another drive and back up done.

I agree they clog up the folder but it's a small price to pay for the ease in which they work.
Why do they "clog up" a folder?
The access time is not affected, and, as is often pointed out, storage is cheap.

Been using it ever since version 10, so I guess I like it. Im a ON1 plus member as I found all the training material really useful and the option to own it outright was important to me...

ON1 2021 is my only RAW editor (apart from Olympus Workspace) and I love it - and sometimes get frustrated by performance issues. The step up from 2020 to 2021 and 2021.5 was incremental rather than significant. Unless you've upgraded to a new camera that wasn't supported by the previous version I'd probably say leave it for now and wait for the noise reducing plug-in.

Back