On1 Photo Raw experience

I am still open to he idea it's something to do with my PC and I can get it to run better.

Can I ask about the specification of your machine and what type & resolution of files your editing? Hopefully it may highlight something that makes the experience better for you compared to me.
I have a self-built desktop system with the following spec:
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-UD5H-BK
Processor: 4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790K
Memory: 16230 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
4500.90 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
Drive 0 : Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)
Display adapter: Radeon RX 560 Series 4GB

One thing I find vital, and that is to keep your graphics driver software up to date.
Recently AMD seem to introduce driver updates almost weekly, the most recent of which was yesterday.

I'm just wondering if the clue here is the Windows operating system.
I may be a dinosaur but I'm used to Windows 7 and it appears that most people who are experiencing problems are on Win 10.
I'm quite happy to continue with Win 7 for as long as it will run.
I know that MS are withdrawing support from next year, but that doesn't mean it will stop working.
I have received several Windows 7 updates in the last couple of weeks, so it ain't dead yet.

My raw files are from a variety of cameras, my main system is Canon and my 5D4 raw files are around 30MB in size, and I'm also using raws from 6D2 and 80D.
I also have Sony A6000, RX100 and Olympus Pen 20 Mp raws.

Everything performs similarly in terms of speed and performance.
I normally use the default "On1 Standard" camera profile as a starting point when processing and the first step in my workflow is cropping the image.

One thing I do not use is the On1 file downloader, which does not suit my filing system.
Instead I normally use "drag and drop" from my card reader to organise my files into my preferred arrangement.
Not that the latter are going to affect the performance of the editor.

All I can say is that I'm completely happy to use On1 as my main raw processor, and I've actually deleted Lightroom from my system, since I have not used it in over a year.

I have a self-built desktop system with the following spec:
Memory: 16230 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
4500.90 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
Drive 0 : Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)
Display adapter: Radeon RX 560 Series 4GB

One thing I find vital, and that is to keep your graphics driver software up to date.
Recently AMD seem to introduce driver updates almost weekly, the most recent of which was yesterday.

I'm just wondering if the clue here is the Windows operating system.
I may be a dinosaur but I'm used to Windows 7 and it appears that most people who are experiencing problems are on Win 10.
I'm quite happy to continue with Win 7 for as long as it will run.
I know that MS are withdrawing support from next year, but that doesn't mean it will stop working.
I have received several Windows 7 updates in the last couple of weeks, so it ain't dead yet.

My raw files are from a variety of cameras, my main system is Canon and my 5D4 raw files are around 30MB in size, and I'm also using raws from 6D2 and 80D.
I also have Sony A6000, RX100 and Olympus Pen 20 Mp raws.
Everything performs similarly in terms of speed and performance.
I normally use the default "On1 Standard" camera profile as a starting point when processing and the first step in my workflow is cropping the image.
One thing I do not use is the On1 file downloader, which does not suit my filing system.
Instead I normally use "drag and drop" from my card reader to organise my files into my preferred arrangement.
Not that the latter are going to affect the performance of the editor.

All I can say is that I'm completely happy to use On1 as my main raw processor, and I've actually deleted Lightroom from my system, since I have not used it in over a year.

Your the first person I have ever spoken to who has the same motherboard as me!

I have the below:

Memory: 31800 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (1866MHz)
Operating System: Windows10 Pro Version 1903
1.4 TB total SSD storage
Display adapter: Nividia GTX 1060 6GB using Studio Driver for 10 bit Colour display.

Think your correct the OS version could be it, also I wonder if AMD graphics make any difference also.

I'm running it from an SSD on a core i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1050 GTi graphics card, so it shouldn't be slow, IMO. When I listed those specs on the ON1 forums, someone (not an ON1 employee), more or less told me to get with the big boys, i.e. upgrade. So I did a sideways upgrade to the iPad Air 3 and different software.

Strange.
It's been so long since I used Lightroom that I cannot recall what it was like, but using On1 exclusively these days, I've never been aware of any speed issues.
All the sliders seem very responsive and adjustments are visible instantaneously.

I’d say that is the case with me as well. (Edited to add that I’m using an iMac.)

Last edited:
I got a few more troubleshooting steps to test based in some things I found online and replies here, will report back on how it goes.
Problem is I can't do until later as it's so hot in my study, my performance drops in high temperatures.

Your the first person I have ever spoken to who has the same motherboard as me!

I have the below:

Memory: 31800 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (1866MHz)
Operating System: Windows10 Pro Version 1903
1.4 TB total SSD storage

Think your correct the OS version could be it, also I wonder if AMD graphics make any difference also.
Your spec is quite similar to mine, apart from the OS and video card.
I've used Gigabyte motherboards previously and the "Black Edition" seemed like a good 'un.
I've used Nvidia graphics cards in the past but I've gone over to AMD for no particular reason, probably cost/value for money.
I don't play games and I built the system for photo editing using Lightroom and Photoshop CS6, which it handled well when I was using them.
I only use a simple 2D graphics card since it is fine for photo editing.
Those mega expensive 3D graphics cards with accelerated rendering are strictly for game playing and are a waste of money if all you are doing is photo editing.
I did upgrade the video card about a year ago because the (AMD) one I had only met the On1 minimum specs (Open GL 3.3 - my current card supports up to Open GL 4.5) so I thought I'd anticipate further development. I didn't notice any improvement after the upgrade.
I thought long and hard about the video card spec before I purchased, but I'm happy with my choice, and it didn't break the bank.
I suppose the ultimate test would be to dual boot, with the choice of W7 or W10, which would settle things.
However, with the system running fine as it is, I'm a bit reluctant to explore that avenue.

BTW I also run Affinity Photo, and Topaz Studio 2, for those occasions that I need that little extra that On1 cannot provide.

Your spec is quite similar to mine, apart from the OS and video card.
I've used Gigabyte motherboards previously and the "Black Edition" seemed like a good 'un.
I've used Nvidia graphics cards in the past but I've gone over to AMD for no particular reason, probably cost/value for money.
I don't play games and I built the system for photo editing using Lightroom and Photoshop CS6, which it handled well when I was using them.
I only use a simple 2D graphics card since it is fine for photo editing.
Those mega expensive 3D graphics cards with accelerated rendering are strictly for game playing and are a waste of money if all you are doing is photo editing.
I did upgrade the video card about a year ago because the (AMD) one I had only met the On1 minimum specs (Open GL 3.3 - my current card supports up to Open GL 4.5) so I thought I'd anticipate further development. I didn't notice any improvement after the upgrade.
I thought long and hard about the video card spec before I purchased, but I'm happy with my choice, and it didn't break the bank.
I suppose the ultimate test would be to dual boot, with the choice of W7 or W10, which would settle things.
However, with the system running fine as it is, I'm a bit reluctant to explore that avenue.

BTW I also run Affinity Photo, and Topaz Studio 2, for those occasions that I need that little extra that On1 cannot provide.

Thanks, I have tried a few more steps including the two articles below and not fixed it. I got a higher spec graphics card just to support my 4K 10 bit screen. I have submitted a ticket to on1 support will post back here what they say.

https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022662611?input_string=poor+performance
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205308008?input_string=poor+performance

I am going to stick with using on1 Photo RAW for now as I purchased a plus subscription for a year so will be getting the next version. If that is better I will be sticking with it long term, if not I might have to look as some alternative options.

I do have Photoshop, Luminar 3 & Aurora HDR 2018 and not had any problems with them however I have yet to do much in Luminar 3 & Aurora HDR 2018 so may not of stretched them enough to tell.

Have to say On1 support very quick to communicate taking into account of the time zone difference.

Think I pinned it down to the Perfect Brush, after I have used it on a Dynamic Contrast effect along the horizon it starts to slow down a lot.

Still working on it with support, updates to follow.

Have to say On1 support very quick to communicate taking into account of the time zone difference.

Think I pinned it down to the Perfect Brush, after I have used it on a Dynamic Contrast effect along the horizon it starts to slow down a lot.

Still working on it with support, updates to follow.

I can confirm it appears if I turn off the Dynamic Contrast effect before doing any masking it performs much better, on1 did ask for samples and did suggest a few more things to try but no luck. They have said it has been passed to their dev team to fix in a future release.

Here are all the articles they directed me to to try:
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022662611?input_string=poor+performance
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205308008?input_string=poor+performance
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000138471

Just to add a little personal observation to the thread, this year I brought a low-powered tablet computer for backup and surfing on holiday with the current version of photoraw loaded. It was very slow to just scroll through thumbnails and loading a full image to 100% took a couple of minutes (50meg uncompressed A7III images). Switching from accurate to fast previews made it much more usable. [emoji6]

Editing like this is bearable too, for one-offs.

To add to my ramblings..... Loaded up Capture One today to test it. I am not suggesting on1 photoraw should be as good seeing the price difference.

My observation is that CPU & GPU use when making changes in photoraw go up but nowhere near as much as when you make changes to an image in Capture One. At least on my machine & the way I am using it I can see that Capture One is making much better use of the hardware resources available to it where photoraw is using little of the amount it has at its disposal. It poses a couple of questions, potentially rhetorical:

Would it perform better if it was using more I do wonder?​
Will the next version coming out soon make better use of my CPU & GPU?​

To add to my ramblings..... Loaded up Capture One today to test it. I am not suggesting on1 photoraw should be as good seeing the price difference.

My observation is that CPU & GPU use when making changes in photoraw go up but nowhere near as much as when you make changes to an image in Capture One. At least on my machine & the way I am using it I can see that Capture One is making much better use of the hardware resources available to it where photoraw is using little of the amount it has at its disposal. It poses a couple of questions, potentially rhetorical:

Would it perform better if it was using more I do wonder?​
Will the next version coming out soon make better use of my CPU & GPU?​
I have created a new thread with my thoughts of photo raw 2020 so far https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/on1-photo-raw-2020-early-thoughts.701452

Back