One for the Fomapan processors

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I've only ever tried Fomapan film a couple of times before, and always with a one-shot developer. I've just (unthinkingly) developed a roll of 400 with replenished stock Xtol, and this is what came back out of the tank
20190930_165647_resized-tp.jpg

Given the usually pristine colourless nature of replenished Xtol, I'm guessing this amount is now a total write-off? I've tried filtering it without any improvement, so it's headed for the drain unless anyone has a cunning plan to lose the colour? :eek::eek::rolleyes:

I reckon that's just the anti halation dye, don't think it'll cause you any issues.
This film looks OK, it's just the thought of processing more films with this as I normally replenish it at 70ml per 120 film, so that would be another 7 films for this amount of developer. :thinking:

This film looks OK, it's just the thought of processing more films with this as I normally replenish it at 70ml per 120 film, so that would be another 7 films for this amount of developer. :thinking:

It'll probably be fine for other films too, it's just dye. Maybe keep it for other foma films if you're worried.

It'll probably be fine for other films too, it's just dye. Maybe keep it for other foma films if you're worried.
That might be an idea, as I'm pretty sure I've another Fomapan 400 in the fridge. It also coloured the stop and fixer, plus it stained the filter paper I ran it through, so it's strong stuff!

Foma 400 (in 120 format I'm guessing, given the green from the anti-halation layer coming off) + Xtol = fantastic combo.

I develop Foma 400 almost exclusively in Fomadon Excel (Foma's own Xtol clone, comes in bags for 1L solution) and Fomadon LQN. Both nice though I prefer Excel/Xtol.

I personally use (and would recommend) Excel or Xtol in 1+1 from fresh stock. A bag of Excel makes one 1L and I use it for three 120 rolls. At 3.5 Euro per bag I think it's cheap enough for me.

As for the anti-halation green: try Foma 100 in Rodinal: the solution comes out a beautiful dark emerald hue:)

I devd 2 sheets of fomapan in the orbital today and prewashed it using 7 rinses of 100ml of water , agitating for approx 1 min at a time.
Even then the last last rinse prior to adding dev was still a very pale green as was the dev when it was poured out.
No problem with developing, in fact I've occasionally had negs with some green or in the case of delta, pink remnants on the negative and had to wash for an additional and considerable length of time following deving / fixing.
Tbh the anti halation on delat 100 which runs off pink can at times be a pig to shift in so far as how much washing it requires.

cunning plan to lose the colour?
Prewash, prewash and prewas, in fact peter I've left fomapan 100 sheet film in a water soak to shift antihalation remnants followining fix / wash and accidently forgot about it for half hour or more.
We all know that the fompapn emulsion in comparison to others can be delicate especially when wet but in all honesty even a soak like stated has never posed me a problem and the emulsion has shown no signs of deteriot=ration or peeling away

Back