One Hour Processing

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, another one bites the dust. I went to drop off my film in my local Boots today and was told they will be discontinuing in store processing in September. There is nowhere else near me, as far as I know, that offers a one hour service now. I may have to just shoot black and white and develop myself.

Luckily Im not at work :D

I'd just started using XP2 for my B&W so that I could just take it to Boots and get it done in an hour. I never thought I'd see the end of Boots in store film processing.

I have no idea what chemicals are available now but C41 chemicals were readily available when I processed film (15 years ago). I also used XP2 for B&W then so could use the same chemicals for colour or B&W. Is home processing C41 not an option?

Dave

Is home processing C41 not an option?
There are a few C41 kits out there but sorting out some sort of temperature controlled water bath or getting hold of a Jobo processor or similar might be more of a challenge.

Possibly, I do my own black and white and have some chemistry for that. I've never done colour and have always avoided it. Doesn't it need higher temperatures and have more stages?

Doesn't it need higher temperatures and have more stages?

It needs 38C +/-1 degree so fairly accurate and rotary processing in a water bath is the norm. The stages are developer, bleach, fix, stabiliser, with a couple of washes in between although some kits have a combined bleach/fix (blix). Once you have the kit then there's no magic to it just work through the steps, it does take longer than B&W because of more steps but a lot less than an hour ;-)

Is there a max spielman in the town or close by? Think they still do one hour ish processing.

I always found mail order processing much less expensive than 24 hour. That may be the incentive you need to try it out. On the plus side, doing your own processing gives you the opportunity to experience the creative side of you in that area, as well. Look at it in the positive sense. So many better things may result from it. Keep us posted as your new adventure unfolds.

Is there a max spielman in the town or close by? Think they still do one hour ish processing.

My local Max Spielman is a 3/4 day service as they get sent off :cautious:

Shame. My nearest one did have a machine in in store last time I checked. It's quicker to send to filmdev if they're days now.

Which is exactly what I do :D

Shame. My nearest one did have a machine in in store last time I checked. It's quicker to send to filmdev if they're days now.
I was going to send a roll of 120 to FilmDev as they are quite local to me and do have a good reputation.

c41 is as easy as b&w processing
an extra stage ( bleach) and try keep temp a bit more stable.
it really isn't so "precise" like some folk make out........it's them folk that make others afraid to try.
Fair enough i no longer shoot colour film but only cos i prefer monochrome photographs!

There are a couple nearby, but I don't think they have 1 hour processing, and Boots will still be sending film off for processing.

There is a store finder on Max Spielmann where you can find the nearest 1 hour photo store. Mine is 13.7 miles away in Darlington. An hour on the bus. Hopefully they will keep doing it.

Do Snappy Snaps still do processing?

There is a store finder on Max Spielmann where you can find the nearest 1 hour photo store. Mine is 13.7 miles away in Darlington. An hour on the bus. Hopefully they will keep doing it.

I never knew this existed, looks like there is a town not far from me where they still process in house, good news indeed so thanks for sharing! :D

Yes, they do. The nearest Snappy snaps that does 1 hour processing is 93 miles away in Lincoln. But there may be other companies.

Filmdev are in/near Stockton on Tees aren't they? Maybe they'd do a drop-in service if you asked?

AG Photolab now do a download service for scanned images, which should knock a day's postage off the turn-around time for seeing the results; although I mainly just go for develop only and scan my own to keep the cost down. If I go for a scan I prefer a DVD as it's there as backup without filling a spare hard drive up with dross.

The novelty of having your results back in an hour has largely been surpassed by digital for those in a hurry. I find a wait of a couple of days adds to the more relaxed film experience and adds just a little bit of a Christmas Morning type excitement to it... and, as I've said before, to travel hopefully is often a better thing than to arrive!

Last edited:
AG Photolab now do a download service for scanned images, which should knock a day's postage off the turn-around time for seeing the results; although I mainly just go for develop only and scan my own to keep the cost down. If I go for a scan I prefer a DVD as it's there as backup without filling a spare hard drive up with dross.

The novelty of having your results back in an hour has largely been surpassed by digital for those in a hurry. I find a wait of a couple of days adds to the more relaxed film experience and adds just a little bit of a Christmas Morning type excitement to it... and, as I've said before, to travel hopefully is often a better thing than to arrive!
FilmDev have a download service too. It's one of the reasons I was looking at them.

Shot my first film this week since 1988. Surprised to find there is nowhere in my city that develops black and white (they only do colour). Guess I’m going to learn home developing quicker than I thought.

I’ve been thinking something similar myself! The only thing that’s sticking in my craw a little is the scanning bit, and the potential outlay for a scanner!

If you want black and white but with colour processing you can get Ilford XP2 too :)

I’ve been thinking something similar myself! The only thing that’s sticking in my craw a little is the scanning bit, and the potential outlay for a scanner!

If you want black and white but with colour processing you can get Ilford XP2 too :)

The scanning bit seems harder than the developing. I’m starting with a tripod and a macro lens for scanning the negatives. If I get into it I can look at better ways later.

I've been using XP2 more recently, and the convenience of getting it developed while I was at work was great. Boots finally stopping in-store developing after all this time is a big disappointment as it means I will probably have to wait until the weekend. I would usually be shooting film or looking for more cameras on a weekend or both.

The only thing that’s sticking in my craw a little is the scanning bit, and the potential outlay for a scanner!
Enlargers are quite cheap on ebay :)

I’m starting with a tripod and a macro lens for scanning the negatives.
It works fine as long as you can get an even light source behind the neg

Anyone used Max Spielmann's 1hr service ? What are the negs and scans like ?

The last set I had done looked like the negs had been scraped along the floor under someones shoe. I suspect that the person in the store was largely unfamiliar with the film processing aspect of the shop and made a pig's ear of the job (on more than one occasion), so I started using a pro lab after that.

In fairness to Max Spielmann, I did have a roll processed at a different branch that came out perfectly fine, but that branch was much further away.

I've never had scans done by them, so can't comment on the quality of those.

I've had several films and scans done, but a few years ago now. The 1 hour service was really useful. The scans were typical 1200 ppi over-sharpened full auto scans. The fact that I haven't been back for years should say all you need to know (they weren't even much cheaper than a Filmdev process and scan!).

Last time I tried Max Spielman here in REDDITCH they snapped the film and ruined it. Cheeky t***s even tried to charge me for part processing!

Have never set foot in the place since!

Anyone used Max Spielmann's 1hr service ? What are the negs and scans like ?
The problem with the1hr services in the likes of Max Spielman, Boots, SnappySnaps etc is that it’s not only a case of finding a good branch/franchise you then have to find the good operators within said establishment. The only way is to get to know one that is local to you, test them out a few times and find an op you can build up some sort of rapports with. I have a SnappySnaps branch close to me where the service is a little hit & miss but the Chiswick branch is a much safer bet, they’re both pretty expensive but in an emergency Chiswick will get the job done.

but in an emergency Chiswick will get the job done.

Sounds like the tag line from a 70's detective series about a maverick cop who works outside the rules.... :D

[Sorry not the most helpful reply] I would recommend just avoid using a small store lab. There is no way they are getting enough business now to keep the machine clean and in good working order. You will find it very common now to have scratches and damage on the negatives due to this being caused by less maintenance to the machine than is necessary.

(Assuming they are using one of the common Fujifilm machines which drag the film through the chemical bath's, which I have personal experience with)

Last edited:
Back