Critique One Waterfall - Three Edits

Edit My Images
No
Bridal Veil Falls at Leura.

This was a quick look on the way back up from the base of the falls where I got saturated grabbing a couple handheld shots looking up at the falls. Normally I wouldn't really bother with such a lookout as it's usually too busy but this time it was empty and wet. I do like how the mist envelopes the valley and reveals very little yet the falls are still clear. I've been toying with black and white and different crops. Black and white makes the greenery less distracting?
I would say that the first edit is my preference. The black & white is always something I like, but I never feel comfortable with. The fakey light... well it does add some magic, but its not really my style, just a thing I've been playing with to make the lighting more interesting.

As always just say what you think, if you think the third is an abomination to photography feel free to say. Any critique/comments/advice are always gratefully received!
_IGP2816-2.jpg _IGP2816-6.jpg_IGP2816.jpg

I like all 3, but most pleasing is the first, the standard colour one. With careful mounting and frame selection, it would look great printed. Probably a black mount and black frame. Maybe a thin white or grey double mount to go with the black main mount. A matt print with matt glass/poly in the frame.

Last edited:
Each of the 3 works equally in its own way. What do you mean by 'fakey' light? Are you an inveterate literalist?

Last edited:
These are good and the third is fine too. If me I'd try and make more of that shaft of light going through the trees on all three.

Wondering - and only wondering - if a crop off the right would create more impact?

if you think the third is an abomination to photography feel free to say

As noted, all 3 say the same thing in different ways…
and this is what visual communication is all about!

Being a photographer in the business of publishing of books and
magazines, I can assure you that these interpretations of the shot
are not spelling what you call "abomination to photography".

Last edited:
Each of the 3 works equally in its own way. What do you mean by 'fakey' light? Are you an inveterate literalist?

I think he means an ethereal light, one that doesn't look natural. Has it been manipulated?

I just mean the warming of the light, making it look like the morning sun is shining. Nothing has been overly changed in the scene as a whole in the first shot, just some contrast adjustments etc.

These are good and the third is fine too. If me I'd try and make more of that shaft of light going through the trees on all three.

Wondering - and only wondering - if a crop off the right would create more impact?

Its actually mist in the valley below blanketing out the big view. So I don't really want to (editing skills aren't that good) create a totally fake shot.

I did play with cropping the right, but I prefer the space it gives to the base of the falls and the hint of the trees in the mist.

#1 makes me 'want to be there' so is the winner for me but they are all stunning in their individual ways

Back