online back up

• Thread starter Deleted member 49549
  • Start date
I have tested my normal upload speed - it is 10mbps. Having said that, maybe my service provider is rate limiting my backup uploads. However, I think this is unlikely as the terms and conditions of my account state that no subscriber traffic management will be applied to my particular level of account.

It is not unusual for offline backup companies to rate limit your upload. I know that carbonite have breakpoints where your upload gets slower and slower to the point where eventually it is really trickling in very slowly. That is why I did not select carbonite. It certainly makes you think about what you want to back up rather than simply selecting your entire hard drive.

Some isp's play on words when it comes to "unlimited" downloads.

Virgin used to throttle me if i downloaded in the day time, but when i called to say i was on unlimited package, they said "we are not limiting the amount you download"....was particularly annoyed at this play on words at the time. grrrr!!

I am familiar with that (i used to sell the equipment that allows ISP's to profile traffic and then apply rate limiting to it - sorry). The virgin 50mb service is not subject to what you described. All other rate services are. I have the 50mb service.

The 50mb service is limited. If you upload more than 6GB between 3pm and 8pm they'll bugger your upload speed for 5 hours!!! The upload speed is also fast enough that you'd be caught by that so when I was doing full large back ups I had to keep pausing it for hours on end to keep within those limits. Made it very frustrating as you just want to set and forget.

Carbonite is great, except when you get to 200Gb backed up, the upload speed falls dramatically.

You need to keep your machine on initially for possibly several weeks to do the initial backup, after that it just churns away in the background.

Carbonite will only backup internal drives.

When I go on holiday, and don't switch my desktop on, I get emails from Carbonite telling me that no backup is being made.

I've only ever retrieved the odd file - no problems.

I like the look of carbonite. Can I ask how it works long term? Does it automatically add any new files to your backup when they're created? What about changes to existing files? Does it automatically overwrite the old versions so that your internal drive and offsite backup are effectively synced? I presume it works ok on a mac?

Ahh you are right.. oh well - just going to leave it running. Will take about 20 days apparently lol.

I doubt it as the data is usually encrypted before it leaves your computer. They'll just see 1s & 0s...

Does anyone know an online backup that backs up NAS drives? I know live drive do but got to pay for an additional computer on the account.

They do just see '1's & '0's BUT these are checked carefully as they are sent over the Internet with a checking algorithm. You can usually rely on the data being stored in the cloud as being the same as the data on your computer. In my case with Sugarsync, this data then ends up on my work computer and I have never had an issue with corrupt or missing files in over two years of constant use.

neil_g said:
as long as thats not your only copy of your data

Absolutely. I had a Netgear Raid box. The PSU died - disks were apparently ok and recoverable, but the proprietary disk format from Netgear meant a normal PC couldn't read it! Fortunately data backed up elsewhere but don't trust stand alone boxes anymore.

Back