Online buying at the moment

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
With the lack of shops open at the moment . If you need something usually the only option is to buy online .there are a few camera shops still trading online but they tend to be on the pricey side .. so that basically leaves e.bay or amazon , having needed a few bits this week from both of them I have found myself actively seeking out u.k based sellers . And doing my best to avoid the Chinese, or chinese ones the pretend to be in the u.k .. just scroll down to seller info it should give a good indication of where based .another indicator is if they are registered for v.a.t
Don’t know if this is just me or if any one else is doing this ?

We are buying all our stuff online at present. Personally I avoid Chinese stuff anyway, not because of quality but because of delivery times. I ordered a bit for my motorbike, took over a month to get here, the website indicated it was UK held stock.
Wherever possible I'm ordering from well known UK Companies in an effort to keep them in business for when this damn thing ends.
I wish my local restaurant had gone take-away and my garden centre of choice had an online presence, especially seeing todays forecast re plants etc.

Last edited:
With the lack of shops open at the moment . If you need something usually the only option is to buy online .there are a few camera shops still trading online but they tend to be on the pricey side .. so that basically leaves e.bay or amazon , having needed a few bits this week from both of them I have found myself actively seeking out u.k based sellers . And doing my best to avoid the Chinese, or chinese ones the pretend to be in the u.k .. just scroll down to seller info it should give a good indication of where based .another indicator is if they are registered for v.a.t

Don't be silly, getting your gear 20% cheaper than the UK retailers appears to be perfectly normal practice :)

I was under the impression that buying online was actively encouraged, it's one of the few ways the economy can keep ticking over at the moment.

I've bought a few things, aside from delivery companies requiring an extra day or so than usual everything has been fine. I imagine many smaller companies will just have one person manning the warehouse/store to dispatch items and it keeps them in business. I bought a Turbo Trainer for my bike last week from a small UK company, those things are like rocking horse poo at the moment!

Every delivery I've had the delivery driver has put the item on the doorstep, rung the doorbell just to check we are in and then headed back to the van until they've seen us take the item inside. Dispose of packaging then thorough clean of hands and surface package was on, job done. Having to go to the supermarket (or work, my wife is an SEN teacher) is significantly more risky.

Last edited:
Don't be silly, getting your gear 20% cheaper than the UK retailers appears to be perfectly normal practice :)
It’s not the price ,normally Chinese sites have exactly what you need and can’t get in the u.k , I wasnt even thinking of the virus .simply the amount of time it’s going to take to get here now with virtually no air travel taking place . IF I want something I usually want it a.s.a.p

I know I said I was not making any purchases of camera stuff, until things get back to normal, or as close to normal as can be. As the spare little bit of cash that I have, may be better spent elsewhere, such as on foodstuffs and bills for family members. I have been looking online at used bodies and lenses, and I think prices are more than I want to pay at the moment.

Edited 8th April, I treated myself to something. I should still have a couple of quid left over, for a few odds and sods.

Last edited:
We are trying not to buy anything except food.
Online is better than physical shopping, but still poses some risk when delivered.
My Mrs is Nukeing everything that comes through the front door, if she doesn't kill every germ on it with her regime then we stand no chance :)

Online shopping atm is very much encouraged over here. But some companies are taking the royal p*ss when it comes to delivery pricing. I ordered something from Ikea just before all of this kicked off, and delivery was just 9.99. Went to order something that I very much need the other day [ a lighter package than the previous one, from the same branch] - delivery is now 49.99! [this would be coming from 40mins up the road] .... almost as expensive as the item itself. I'll pass on that for now Ikea, thanks (n)

Don't need anything desperately so will wait until I can spend money locally. However, I have ordered some stuff from Amazon (books and wooden models [U-Gears kits - take up time!!!]) and we have a packet of wipes just inside the front door so packages get wiped before they touch a surface indoors. Hands get washed straight after unpacking and wiping contents. Probably not 100% effective but better than complacency.

Only half looking at a much older body on MPB, just adding a used lens brings the price up. Did not really want to spend any more money on camera stuff, as it is not really essential.

Online shopping atm is very much encouraged over here. But some companies are taking the royal p*ss when it comes to delivery pricing. I ordered something from Ikea just before all of this kicked off, and delivery was just 9.99. Went to order something that I very much need the other day [ a lighter package than the previous one, from the same branch] - delivery is now 49.99! [this would be coming from 40mins up the road] .... almost as expensive as the item itself. I'll pass on that for now Ikea, thanks (n)
Teach ya to live in a third world country :beer::beer:

Doing some buying online but nothing directly camera related.
Have needed some food items, hand gel (this hand-washing lark takes its toll! :LOL: ), couple of iPad stands for the video-conferencing and as I've cancelled the visit to Bempton in June I've treated myself to a new iPad Air + Pencil that should come from Apple on Thurday.
I'm with @MatBin 's Mrs though ... nothing gets in until it's been bleached, made to stand to attention in the sun, removed from its packaging, washed & dried ... the front porch is like a scene out of 'Bridge on the River Kwai'!

Only half looking at a much older body on MPB, just adding a used lens brings the price up. Did not really want to spend any more money on camera stuff, as it is not really essential.

I misread that as "OTHER half looking at a much older body"! Made me nearly spit out me teef!!!

Missus is disabled and can't physically get out to shop on her own, so she loves online shopping. I don't really like online shopping, as I don't like having to wait for that knock on the door, as I am always waiting in anticipation. I am even like that when the missus orders online, I still have to wait for the delivery knock at the door.

I misread that as "OTHER half looking at a much older body"! Made me nearly spit out me teef!!!

Both me and the missus could do with a body replacement, both of our bodies are knackered. Ahh, we both have to laugh about it. :)

MUCH healthier than crying about it! Keep safe and smiling.

I have managed to save £167.00 in the last four weeks without any effort just by staying indoors. Suggests that I am wasting £167.00 each four weeks on stuff I do not need. That is nearly one week's state pension!

I looked my online banking today and almost had a heart attack.
Not in a bad way either!

Ive more money now than I’ve had for ages, I haven’t bought a single thing online or otherwise for 2 weeks. Usually I’d be buying some tat on amazon I don’t need every few days, Getting something on eBay once a week, buying food and drinks when out working that usually costs £10 a day. I’m still working but wife is making me lunch and Im taking coffee with me..
Saving a darn fortune.

I'm experiencing similar here, I didn't really realise before the amount of useless junk I buy and how often - not online but just every day spends. Take away food for the family to take a break from cooking at least once a week, the money I spend on lunches for work, buying random crap just because I happen to be in town etc ... I have actually saved a nice little bundle and I'm right up to date with all bills to boot.

In more normal times, I'd have lunch at the golf club twice a week and be in the chair for coffee afterwards at least once (I'm crap at golf but enjoy the company and exercise!) so that's at least a tenner. Then, we tended to have pub of café lunch 3 or 4 times, probably another 60 - 80 quid. These outings are often in one of the ICE cars so probably another 20+ per week (including golf commuting).

I can afford to take up smoking again!

Ye gods your wife and mine must be related mike

As someone who delivers your online shopping (DHL) I can honestly say thank you, as I'm busier now and for the last week or so than I was over Xmas! ££££'s :D

The place of origin on ebay is no reliable guide.

I've bought items that say "Despatched from UK" and they have been sent from China/HongKong.

That is why some businesses are struggling, because we have not been out to spend our money in their shops. When things get back to the norm, or as norm as can be, if I have ant spare cash left over, I may treat myself to something.

PS

If I have any spare cash left, after having treated the missus first of course.

I looked my online banking today and almost had a heart attack.
Not in a bad way either!

Same. I filled up my car with petrol 2 weeks ago and have driven about 6 miles since, so that's likely to last me about 3 months rather than 3 weeks. No temptation to 'pop to the shop', our weekly shop is all we are getting. No coffees at work etc, no days out, non-essential Amazon items all have about a month lead time so there is no urge to buy anything random.

I have a limitless cinema pass and we have an annual Longleat pass, both of those are suspended so we will gain quite a bit of time on those later on which is good.

I've bought items that say "Despatched from UK" and they have been sent from China/HongKong.

'Switzerland' is a common one for photography stuff that is actually coming from Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Same. I filled up my car with petrol 2 weeks ago and have driven about 6 miles since, so that's likely to last me about 3 months rather than 3 weeks. .

Same here, only journey was yesterday also about 6 miles round trip to a farm selling free range eggs
None in the supermarket, but loads where I went yesterday, cheaper, fresher and nicer tasting too
Farm just over the road from them selling sacks of spuds, surprised people are not using these places more

Only online buying has been films to stream, music to download plus one Ocado shop booked ages ago
We are not only saving on everyday stuff, but cancelled holidays too, should be in Munich now.
To be honest would rather be enjoying the cash, never been keen on saving just for the sake of it

Last edited:
wonder how many of these practitioners also berate the like of Amazon for creative accounting calling them "tax dodgers" (wood for the trees comes to mind)

As someone who delivers your online shopping (DHL) I can honestly say thank you, as I'm busier now and for the last week or so than I was over Xmas! ££££'s :D
There does seem to be a shift in the economics with all of this. Supermarkets are seeing bumper q4s and as stated online delivery services also seeing an upshift. A couple fo weeks ago they were saying at the supermarket that the stock was in warehouses but they couldn't get any more drivers (from Europe) to actually get the stuff from A-B

It’s not the price ,normally Chinese sites have exactly what you need and can’t get in the u.k , I wasnt even thinking of the virus .simply the amount of time it’s going to take to get here now with virtually no air travel taking place . IF I want something I usually want it a.s.a.p
I suspect there will be reduced availability of some photo stock especially if its made in the east. Will be interesting to see the lag time for this to materialise and whether its no stock coming out of the factories, no way to transport stock out of the country of manufacture. Either way I also suspect prices might fix or even increase if the supply chain costs rise with competition for global logistics.

Last edited:

if before you place your order you scroll down to the business details . then bring them up it tells you the where they are based , obviously yingtongpilleyepo is not a English name where as James smith and co usually is .. it just means a bit more research before buying ..
at the moment I'm having more problems with amazon than e.bay to be honest ,ordered a book the other day supposed to be direct from amazon now giving the 9th April as delivery and not even posted yet

Same here, only journey was yesterday also about 6 miles round trip to a farm selling free range eggs
None in the supermarket, but loads where I went yesterday, cheaper, fresher and nicer tasting too
Farm just over the road from them selling sacks of spuds, surprised people are not using these places more

Only online buying has been films to stream, music to download plus one Ocado shop booked ages ago
We are not only saving on everyday stuff, but cancelled holidays too, should be in Munich now.
To be honest would rather be enjoying the cash, never been keen on saving just for the sake of it

Yep same here re: farm shops. Plenty there but they physically don't have the staff to do their usual deliveries to the local shops, so we just go direct to source. We've also found mid-sized stores (such as Budgens and Co-op around here) are really well stocked and quiet compared to the carnage in Tesco.

I forgot about holidays, we had three booked that we are getting money back for at some point. Also going to be stacking up masses of annual leave!

Don't need anything desperately so will wait until I can spend money locally. However, I have ordered some stuff from Amazon (books and wooden models [U-Gears kits - take up time!!!]) and we have a packet of wipes just inside the front door so packages get wiped before they touch a surface indoors. Hands get washed straight after unpacking and wiping contents. Probably not 100% effective but better than complacency.
We do the same - paranoia is required at the moment.

We are avoiding the largest local supermarket in our market town as the customers in there take very little notice of minimum distance. My 2nd and last visit during this situation had me flattened against shelving trying to avoid people who didn't give a damn.

wonder how many of these practitioners also berate the like of Amazon for creative accounting calling them "tax dodgers" (wood for the trees comes to mind).

The thing is if you are working withing the law then there is no problem, everyone would pay less tax if they had a way to do it legally, most if not all the grey imports are illegally avoiding tax, there is a huge difference.

The thing is if you are working withing the law then there is no problem, everyone would pay less tax if they had a way to do it legally, most if not all the grey imports are illegally avoiding tax, there is a huge difference.
Indeed. I’ve seen a number of justifications by posters that they are just breaking the manufacturers “cartels” on price fixing by going grey. Not sure if they are fully aware that in most cases the price reduction of 20+% is by bypassing VAT and import duties in most cases (in some its due to a sales region over predicting demand leading to over stocking and they get rid at reduced cost). Yet in the same breath saying if Amazon can tax dodge then I will too.

Back