Beginner Online courses

Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know of any free online photography courses that are any good? After picking up the camera again after a few years one of the problems I have is trying to learn it all at the same time, and taking in too much info and getting confused. I thought if I had projects to focus on and stick to I'd maybe actually remember instead of veering off trying different things every 5 minutes.

Thanks gramps, never thought of YouTube. Will have a proper look tonight, hoping to get out in a while with the camera. I remember your name from way back when I first joined here too!

Thanks Chris, not sure what my 'thing' is yet, probably landscape and action shots, try not to use flash much as only have the pop up flash, still, wouldn't hurt to learn :)

Don't try to learn it all at once. Learn the very basics and practice until you start thinking 'I wonder how..........' then learn the next step. Surprisingly, camera manuals are very good (well, I think mine is anyway). Somewhere along the way you should find out what your 'thing' is.

Don't try to learn it all at once. Learn the very basics and practice until you start thinking 'I wonder how..........' then learn the next step. Surprisingly, camera manuals are very good (well, I think mine is anyway). Somewhere along the way you should find out what your 'thing' is.
Yeah I should have read through it on day one. I flicked through last night and now know what every button does which is making everything a lot easier! I'm mostly using auto, or shutter priority, but I'm also trying to watch what auto uses as the settings in certain situations, I quite like the way the d3300 screen is laid out, much easier than my previous nex c3. Think I'm going to order a full manual with projects book I've been told about specifically for my model, that should help too.

Keep an eye on the Creativelive website. They have live webcasts on various subjects that you can interact with whilst live, and occasionally rebroadcast courses. They are free to watch, though you can pay to download the videos and any resources.

They have had some good Landscape course recently, and have Landscape Photography with Marc Muench on Jan 8+9. Never heard of him, but it costs nothing to have a look. ;) They also have a rebroadcast of The Art of Nature with Art Wolfe on Jan 10+11. I've heard of him. :D

As a more general Photography course the have the Fundamentals of Photography 2015 with John Greengo. That's a 5 day course, and I've watched them over the last few years and they have been excellent. I even bought the course a few years ago, but they get updated every year.

Be aware that the times of courses on the site are Pacific time as they are based in Seattle and San Francisco. They are normally broadcast in the UK from 5pm till around midnight, though they are repeated throughout the night and next day till the next live broadcast starts. If you register you can set the courses to reflect your timezone when logged in. You can also enrol for courses, which commits you to nothing, but they send you reminders before any courses start.

Creativelive have also started to do guides to cameras, where they go through all the body features and all the menus during a one day course, and give advice on how and why to set some settings in the camera. They have done one for the D3*** series. That would have to be purchased to watch though, as I doubt they would rebroadcast that.

As for Youtube, I've found that there is a lot of good information on the AdoramaTV channel .

Thanks very much, creativelive sounds intriguing! Will definitely be having a good look on there, though paid for will have to wait, 35mm first on the list.

Thanks for all of your suggestions :)

Thanks very much, creativelive sounds intriguing! Will definitely be having a good look on there, though paid for will have to wait, 35mm first on the list.

Thanks for all of your suggestions :)

Like I said, you don't have to pay to watch live, or a rebroadcast. They do have a sale on for the next couple of hours where you can get some courses cheaper, and you can get the D3*** guide for $19 instead of $29. Sounds like I'm a Creativelive salesmen, :eek: but no unfortunately, :( :LOL: I just think they do quality stuff for the most part. I've watched loads of stuff on there over the last few years.

This year (last year depending on when you read this ;)) they have started to get out of their studios, and so there are more Landscape, drone and video courses that they have been able to do, amongst other things.

Back