Online orders - Pro Camera Direct

Name
T
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

has any ordered from Pro Camera Direct ?

Link
http://www.procameradirect.com/

Are they a UK based company ! ? :(

I have placed an order ( Wednesday evening, order processed and supposely shipped Thursday ) and I was advised it would be next day delivery, that being today ( Friday ).
I had e mailed the company from mid morning asking for a tracking number.
I repeated the e mails another 5 times through out the day right up to 6.10pm before I left my work place ( as that was the delivery address ) :bang:
So tonight I log on to my company e mail account and now have replies to my e mails date and time from 6.25pm ! ! ! ! :shake:

So if this is a Company out side the UK, then it must be USA based for the time difference ! ! :shrug:

Can some please put my mind at rest ! ? :bonk:

I can't be sure but I think I've read on here a few times that the lens have some sort international warranty. I think this means that you can buy them from anywhere and your coveted under manufacturers warranty.

I think it's different if your buying bodies tho.

AFAIK, Canon L lenses have an international warranty - providing they were bought from an authorised dealer in the first place - and Canon will honour the warranty on all their products if you have a UK invoice. I think they will also service/repair their products on an out of warranty basis if necessary. There's been a fair amount of discussion about this though, and I've never tested it personally.

Is this of any help?

Repton International Limited is the parent company they seem to be associated with a few companies / websites, one, http://www.iradiopop.co.uk, claims to be a UK retailer but all correspondence is to made to Repton in Hong Kong

whois suggests perhaps Canada, but who can tell for sure? :shrug:

whois said:
Domain name: PROCAMERADIRECT.COM

Administrative Contact:
Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0124979120, procameradirect.com@contactprivacy.com
96 Mowat Ave
Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
CA
+1.4165385457
Technical Contact:
Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0124979120, procameradirect.com@contactprivacy.com
96 Mowat Ave
Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
CA
+1.4165385457

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 02-Jun-2011.
Record expires on 27-Sep-2012.
Record created on 27-Sep-2010.

I'm never happy when a company uses a privacy service to obscure their details on whois. Fair enough for individuals, but a company that's trading ought to have their contact information out in the open.

Not listing a postal address on their web site is a big no-no in my book too. Afraid they wouldn't have got my business on that basis alone.

Is this of any help?

Repton International Limited is the parent company they seem to be associated with a few companies / websites, one, http://www.iradiopop.co.uk, claims to be a UK retailer but all correspondence is to made to Repton in Hong Kong

whois said:
whois iradiopop.co.uk

Domain name:
iradiopop.co.uk

Registrant:
Bentonville International Limited

Registrant type:
Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:
306 Victoria House
Victoria
Mahe
Seychelles

Registrar:
Cable & Wireless Limited t/a Demon Virtual Servers [Tag = DSVR]
URL: http://www.dsvr.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 15-Apr-2010
Renewal date: 15-Apr-2012
Last updated: 23-Sep-2010

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns0.serve.co.uk 212.69.220.10
ns0.serve.net.uk 212.69.221.10

Murky

FWIW, if they were a UK registered company (and not that everyone does) they should display their company registration number and registered address on their web site under the terms of the Companies Act 2006.

Hi Musicman, that is what I was trying to do but could not find any reference to registration details !
This makes me wounder about the origin of the company.

On Monday morning I will phone Canon UK and ask about the warranty issues relate to a lens from Hong Kong ! !

Hi Musicman, that is what I was trying to do but could not find any reference to registration details !
This makes me wounder about the origin of the company.

On Monday morning I will phone Canon UK and ask about the warranty issues relate to a lens from Hong Kong ! !

Could you update us? This comes up quite often, and there seem to be a few different opinions on it.

Well I believe import duty use by 5 or 6% which is added to the item then 20% VAT is applied.
This will push the cost off the men's way over what I could have paid if I went to Jessop's !
So all a bit worrying !

AFAIK, duty is calculated on the cost of the goods + shipping + insurance, and VAT is worked out that total + the duty. Another example of paying tax on duty, just like fuel.

Well I think duty is .6.7% that will be applied to the lens of £1,050, then 20% VAT will push the cost way over what Jessop's charge in the high street !
I think I will be cancelling the order and requesting the credit card company to reclaim the funds from Pro Camera Direct.

There is also a documentation fee involved which is circa £10.

wow, yet more costs to add on ! ! !

Update;
I have checked the e mails times from Pro Camera Direct I recieved this weekend.

The lastest ones are saturday at 1.42am ! !

What company in the UK will be working at 2am in the morning dealing with photography equipment ! ! !!

I sent an e mail Friday evening apx 7pm, and Hong Kong I think is 7 hours ahead, so e mail recieved at 1.42am is about right then ! !

The ProCamerasDirect website is one of the hookiest I have ever seen.. with no phone number, address or other physical contact details, no t's & c's, etc. There's nothing tangible or plausible on the page.

The contact email directs to provisualdirect.com which does have a UK contact address and phone number. However that's a business centre in Wakefield home to mail-drop/-redirecting services and some dodgy adult chat lines.

The whole set-up is screaming, "Run away!", to me..

Hi Alastair, I totally agree with you the more I look into this company the worse it gets ! !

I have searched companies house web site for 3 names I know about

Pro Camera Direct
Pro Visual Direct
Kam Kroda.com

Strangely enough no listing at all for any of the names !
I have repeatedly requested from Pro Camera Direct for a UK company registration number. The e mails I get replied to omit any reply to this question and go on about me to stop mentioning they are Hong Kong company ! !!

Pro Camera Direct can not give me a delivery date, or dispatch date, no UK land line number, not company registration number, no name to who I am communicating with on the e mails. A complete void of basic information !
Also on both web sites there is no PayPal link which I did not notice before and that it self should have started my alarm bells ringing !
The web site stated next day delivery so, the following I requested the UPS tracking reference and that is when all the problems started !

The lasted e mail I received ask me to stop going on about them being a Hong Kong company and I am getting them confused with simply electronic and they have no control on what is posted with in forums ! ! !

Another thing that worries me I get e mail replies from Pro Camera Direct from 1am to 10am in the morning, and I get no replies from apx 11.30am ! !
Who in the UK works from one in the morning, I know we all work harder and longer, surely not that amount of hours.

I am really annoyed with this web company as I feel I am being lied to all the time

What worries me is there are a lot of transactions going through Amazon, link below is the feed back page
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/sel...etplaceSeller=0&seller=A9ZI92C3JD23L&isPopup=

What is gong on !

I bought a Sigma 120-400 from their website. I paid by bank transfer to save another 3%. After I'd done it, I realised that I had ZERO come back if it was a scam site. I have to say, their communications was superb and the lens was delivered 2 days after the money had gone into their account. I don't know what the score is with warranty though. Worryingly, their returns policy indicates you only get 30 days from the receipt date to return faulty goods. They say that the sale of goods act still covers you though. Hopefully I won't be in a situation to put this to the test.

Well there a few fundamental things that worry about this site.
I ask Paul ( the e mailer did eventually put a name at the bottom of an e mail ! ) for a UK company registration number several times. To be fair he did not lie, not did bother to answer my question.
I did find this though;

http://www.alibaba.com/member/paulwrightlogistics/aboutus.html

Again another person having issues with funds !
The other thing that worries me is that is seems PCD ( Pro Camera Direct ) take orders and supply you with stock from Hong Kong or Singapore. Which leaves the big question over warranty !
Again I asked Paul of PCD is the Canon Lens a Canon UK supplied lens, which he relied yes.
However on some reviews left on Amazon it appears people have received international warranties or no warranty at in the box.
If I wanted Hong Kong I would order direct from a Hong Kong supplier and pocket the margin of the middle man.
There are just to many grey areas with this Paul and KamKorder, Pro Visual Direct or Pro Camera Direct.
The company address for KamKorder is a house in Burton On Trent !

I ma just not prepared to take the risk on such an expensive item as a Canon Luxury grade lens.
For £50 more I can buy it from a High Street Camera shop in my home town.

Eyewhy,

You're not confusing this site with

www.procamerashop.co.uk

by any chance? I ask because they have a couple of good priced lens and I'd be interested to know how good they are (warranties and delivery). Not sure about the 3% off for paying by debit card though.

You gave a thousand pounds of your money to a company you know nothing about, not even there whereabouts and without doing any research?

:thinking:

Well to be fair I did post on another forum about PCD and I read all the feed back on amazon.
I did ask PCD some basic info. It was literally minutes after I sent the order that realise I did not finish all of my checks.
I do now have the credit back on my credit card.

Eyewhy,

www.procamerashop.co.uk

by any chance? I ask because they have a couple of good priced lens and I'd be interested to know how good they are (warranties and delivery). Not sure about the 3% off for paying by debit card though.

Yup you are right! It was procamerashop I orderded from. :bonk: Delivery from Procamerashop was really quick and as I said their communications were great.

Oh god yes I am relieved !
I think most people put trust that these type of shady on line suppliers will beliver the goods, and I think I would have got the lens after some waiting !
However it would have been a grey import and it would have taken a while to get the lens.
All is unacceptable really considering the value of money envolved ! !

Eyewhy,

www.procamerashop.co.uk

no I am not confusing it with this company at all.
The company I placed the order with was kamkorda.com which also had web sites call Pro Visual Direct and Pro Camera Direct.
The web site I used was Pro Camera Direct.:thumbsdown:

I have looked at Pro Camera Shop web site and the lens I am after is £53 cheaper than the shady grey site I initially ordered from ! :)

Kamkorda.com, Pro Visual Direct, Pro Camera Direct.

No offence intended but all those names scream scammer with bright flashing warning lights to me.

Hi Tysonator,

I was actually directing my question to Eyewhy who has replied above.

The procamerashop site looks a better site altogether but I'm assuming its still grey imports :shrug:
I'm not sure about import taxes either :shrug:

I may give them a call sometime when I have the cash ready

Crainum head has mentioned ProCameraShop.co.UK
I have phoned them and they do supply my lens and have stated it is s grey import, hence the price.
The shop despatch the lens but keep the warranty on site. If I have problems with the lens they will ditct me to a canon service center Colchester Cameras.
Would I be right to ask for a photocopy of warranty if I purchased the lens, as I suspect it will be an international warranty.
Also can any inform of consumer rights regarding returning of returning goods in the warranty period ?
I believe the retailer has the contract with the customer for re supply of replacement goods, then the retailer will have contract with the manufacturer for returned goods !

If you are concerned about warranty, I would urge you to pay a bit more and get a UK supplied one from a bricks and mortar shop.....(y)

Back