Onlyme's Photo52 - Week 8 'Chaos' added

Hi Sanna,
Some interesting shots here. Love the Hard pic, and agree with all the others about light. If your using non flash light sources, you need to get extra light in there. I recommend for a shot like that, just use a CD out of shot to reflect light back under the stones and kill some of the hard shadows.

For your clutter shot, again a great idea. I think the main criticism I have is that the shot looks like it is in three pieces, rather than one image.
Firstly the main focus is the sharp paperclips, and these sit bang in the middle of the shot. I think they would have more impact on the lower third line.
Also the transition from out of focus to sharp is too abrupt for me because there is nothing to help my eye adjust to the change. (I hope this makes sense). Maybe a paper clip on the edge of shot over the transition third, would help guide me onto the sharp paperclips.

Also the top of the shot is empty. Maybe a tighter crop would help frame the image better.

Hope this is helpful, and keep up the good work.

Rgds

Adie

Agree with Dawn on this one, dof is excellent and colours are nice and vibrant :)

your "hard" shot is pretty special too I might add (y)

Thank you very much! :D

Hi Sanna,
Some interesting shots here. Love the Hard pic, and agree with all the others about light. If your using non flash light sources, you need to get extra light in there. I recommend for a shot like that, just use a CD out of shot to reflect light back under the stones and kill some of the hard shadows.

For your clutter shot, again a great idea. I think the main criticism I have is that the shot looks like it is in three pieces, rather than one image.
Firstly the main focus is the sharp paperclips, and these sit bang in the middle of the shot. I think they would have more impact on the lower third line.
Also the transition from out of focus to sharp is too abrupt for me because there is nothing to help my eye adjust to the change. (I hope this makes sense). Maybe a paper clip on the edge of shot over the transition third, would help guide me onto the sharp paperclips.

Also the top of the shot is empty. Maybe a tighter crop would help frame the image better.

Hope this is helpful, and keep up the good work.

Rgds

Adie

Thanks Adie for the comments and feedback! Nice idea too about using a CD to reflect light - MUST try that! :)

I haven't made my mind up on whether or not I'm happy with the 'Clutter' shot. Mixed reviews here on the DOF and composition/crop.
I definitely agree with you on the empty space up top. I chose to leave that in and crop the clips at the very bottom out as they were just too distorted with a very strong bokeh - they were just too distracting and horrible-looking! I really appreciate the feedback - it does help my notice and think about things I perhaps would't do normally! :)

Good set of images so far, really like week 1 in particular.

Cheers! :)

Clutter is a great idea and well executed.

Nice colours and a great simple idea.

Cheers.

Thanks for looking and for the kind comments! :)

hi sanna, lecome aboard... i do like your week 1 as the stairs lead me upwards between these two looming giants of buildings... .. like going into a valley...

and paperclips... good use of DOF... simply and pleasing.. (y)

Cheers Kev! :) That was the idea with my #1, but it was difficult to achieve as nothing in that particular place is actually level. Nice to hear that someone picked up on what I was thinking! :)

I've struggled a little bit this week. I can think of lots of delicate things, but found it hard to come up with an idea that was worth trying. Here's my 'Delicate' anyway! :)

5450667200_bea3910bf7_z.jpg

Last edited:
Hehehe Tina, what do you mean? :p I actually bought these; the Bailey's truffles my other half bought me are far tastier than these, but not as colourful! ;)

Hmm, I see what you mean about light. Let me have a fiddle and I'll come back with a slightly lighter version... Thanks! :)

Not sure that's much better - all I can think about is eating them! :D

Still a little on the dark side, but I don't think it's a problem. What may have worked even better would be a shallllllow depth of field highlighting the heart chocolate. Nice take on the theme, and tasty too I bet.

OK, for a start, this is a great idea for the theme. The chocolates are full of texture, the richness and sheen of the glossy chocolate, and the patterns on the top. Also a good selection of light and dark.
However, a few things let the photo down.
The background seems wrong, and there is too much of it in the top third of the picture. This is dead space, and does not enhance the shot. It is also too dark, as the packaging absorbs too much light. And the chunk of table on the left is distracting.
I think if you removed the chocks from the plastic tray, positioned them on a simple base and background (say and A4 piece of white paper curved up at the back) and used a shallow DoF, lighting with a much more diffused source the real potential of a great idea could be realised. Once you see how much scope you idea has when you just play around with the idea a bit (if you can stop everyone eating them first! ) you can shoot things like this in some very creative ways.

I hope this has been OK, and not too harsh, but I don't see the point in not offering ideas if something just doesn't grab me.

Rgds

Adie

Hi Adie,

I don't think you're being harsh at all. I relish in the advice and thoughts from everyone; I have so much to learn, and I can't do it all on my own! :)

I initially considered using a far more shallow DoF, but felt all the chocolates were far too appealing for that. You're absolutely right, the plastic tray does not do the chocolates any justice really, so I do like your idea of removing that and using something lighter. I do need to start taking lighting into consideration, BEFORE I put the camera down and transfer my photos... It always ends up being an "Oh yeah...Should thought of that"-moment later on in the process...

Thank you for your C&C, it is muchly appreciated. :)

Hiya Sanna,

Indeed a delish take on the theme, so well done for thinking of the idea.

I pretty much agree with Adie's comments and suggestions of the various options one could have used to help with the composition and lighting.

The table and plastic container are quite distracting, especially as the light is reflecting off the plastic in places.

However, I do like how you have all the chocs in a place to form a pattern (not sure if it was intentional, but it works).

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hey

Webby 962 kinda gave you all that needs said in my mind about the shot too... its just to dark and def think the composition needs work... I'm not sure if im being honest the shot shouts delecate to me... I would not say the chocolates look all that delecate... its def my big stumbling bl,ock here though with crit... does the pic shout the theme... and for me it doesn't... that said on the positive at least it is an idea I still have come up with nothing... well one idea but I need a macro lens to shoot it... so that's me goosed!

Mark

Thank you all for the feedback. Have had another go. A little lighter, different composition, and no plastic tray! Think it might be working better, but not quite there yet...!

5450770219_956c8469ac_z.jpg

Hiya Sanna,

I much prefer your 2nd image, well done!

Love the colour of the base/background too, which brings out the colours of the chocs much better and I like the DOF and angle at which you have shot this.

Good on you for taking all the comments on board and doing another photo.

BTW I get the theme .... i.e., the delicate taste and flavour of chocolate (yummy!)

Cheers

Last edited:
Much much better... But to me still not saying delicate... SORRY!!!!

M

Thanks, and that's OK! :p We're all different, and interpretation of any theme is subjective, so don't apologise! ;)

Hiya Sanna,

I much prefer your 2nd image, well done!

Love the colour of the base/background too, which brings out the colours of the chocs much better and I like the DOF and angle at which you have shot this.

Good on you for taking all the comments on board and doing another photo.

BTW I get the theme .... i.e., the delicate taste and flavour of chocolate (yummy!)

Cheers

Thank you Dawn! :) I'm glad I had another go, feel much happier with the second take and the revised composition.

One dictionary definition of 'delicate' that I found said 'pleasing to the senses' and 'exquisitely fine or dainty'. Then I looked at the chocolates and thought 'hmm...' :D

Right, might have to go and grab that box now... :p

2nd take is better.

Not saying delicate to me though - just eat me!

And I have no chocolate in the house...:crying:

One improvement to the second one would be to loose the right hand, white chocolate (and give it to me!!).

Cheers.

Hi Sanna, nice pics and I can see how it fits the theme (delicate taste of good chocolate).

The original pic is quite appealing for its natural look and nice lighting. The chocs look very tempting.

But the second version is just brilliant. I really like the colours and the great use of DOF. The pink background works well for this subject.

Well done for taking the time for a re-shoot - it was definitely worth it (y)

Cheers, Patrick

Sanna,

Well done on the reshoot. Hopefully you can see the value of thinking about the shot and visualising the shot before you even turn the camera on. And thinking about lighting more is a good thing. Lighting is more important (imho) than the subject.
Good subject, poor lighting = poor photo
Poor subject , good lighting = good photo
Good subject, good lighting = excellent photo :)

Hi Sanna, the reshoot is much better, if anything, I would move the middle row of chocolates over a little bit, so the left hand chocolate would be within the dof. It does fit delicate very well, although I can only imagine how they must taste, I have not been able to eat chocolate for a very long time now.

Thank you! :) Not being able to eat chocolate? Allergies? I do feel sorry for you... :(

Your 'hard' photo is a cracking shot - nice one.
The 2nd version for delicate is a marked improvement on the first as well. It looks much more like a 'composition' than the first (if you know what I mean). Well done for managing to not eat the chocs before the reshoot as well - I would have polished them off after the first shot and then not been able to reshoot!

Thanks Tim! :) 'Hard' is definitely the one I'm most pleased with. The chocolates were definitely worth waiting for - they were TASTY! :D

There's one area in our home that's chaos most of the time. I tidy it pretty much every day, but it usually doesn't take more than an hour before my effort is unnoticeable; our porch!! There are six of us in the family so lots of shoes. I give you my/our 'Chaos'! :)

5473478138_d9c407a315_z.jpg

Hiya Sanna

I love your take on this week and a great photo too. Especially like the way you have the wellie with the butterflies on (adds to 'the butterfly effect', i.e., chaos theory) (y)

Now I have to say that looks organised compared to what my entrance looks like, and there are only two of us living here :LOL:

Well done

Cheers

Hey... I LOVE your chaos shot... It looks just perfect... the lighting... the angle... really tells a story of your families life... one of those real simple shots that is just PERFECT!!!

The shot gives a great reflection of LIFE

Mark

lovely colours and DOF, I think it might look a bit more interesting with some softer light - maybe diffused through something and off camera to make some interesting shadows on the shoe on the far right?
lovely detail on the yellow boot :)

Hiya Sanna

I love your take on this week and a great photo too. Especially like the way you have the wellie with the butterflies on (adds to 'the butterfly effect', i.e., chaos theory) (y)

Now I have to say that looks organised compared to what my entrance looks like, and there are only two of us living here :LOL:

Well done

Cheers

Thank you Dawn! :) I knew as soon as the theme was announced what I was going to shoot. I didn't know however, if I could make it work, so I really enjoyed shooting this one (love a challenge!). Tried all sorts of angles of our shoe rack, scarves hanging off it etc, but eventually settled for this one. :)

Hey... I LOVE your chaos shot... It looks just perfect... the lighting... the angle... really tells a story of your families life... one of those real simple shots that is just PERFECT!!!

The shot gives a great reflection of LIFE

Mark

Hi Mark, and thank you ever so much for your comments. :) I did try and keep it as simple as 'Chaos' allowed. I had the idea ever since Saturday, and just hadn't got around to shooting it, and yesterday there was lovely light coming in through the window so quickly got set up and camera clicking! :D

lovely colours and DOF, I think it might look a bit more interesting with some softer light - maybe diffused through something and off camera to make some interesting shadows on the shoe on the far right?
lovely detail on the yellow boot :)

Thank you Maria! :) Interesting point about the lighting. I do agree some shadows could add to it. I was happy with the light, but I just need to learn to get more creative with it I guess! I'm learning so with using the camera a lot more often (and with the weekly themes to shoot for) than I normally would, so I think tend to focus on composition and exposure first at the moment. There's definitely scope for some more creativity in regards to lighting, I just wouldn't know where to start! :D

I take it your chaos was a zoom in an there's squillions of shoes outside the field of view...;)

Well composed and, for some reason, I'm really drawn to the lethargic lace on the walking boot, looks like it's really chilling out..:wacky:

Cheers.

Oh yes, it was indeed one of three shelves on our shoe rack... :D

A lethargic shoe lace that's chilling out... Hmm...:thinking: :p

Cheers Michael, much appreciated! :)

Hi Sanna, The Chaos shot is right on the money for me. Good colours, good lighting. i like the angle of the pic and the crop works really well.

Hi Sanna.
Thats a great representation of the theme and very well shot. The Chaos is further emphasized by no two items being paired up. Nice work Sanna:clap:

Thank you muchly! It really does represent chaos in our home. :D

Hi Sanna, The Chaos shot is right on the money for me. Good colours, good lighting. i like the angle of the pic and the crop works really well.

Thanks for the comments! I wasn't sure about the crop at first, but after trying a few different ones this seemed to work the best. :)

Back