"ooh, doesnt that camera take good photos"

If they were a professional wedding photographer I would assume they were shooting RAW, in which case you can't SHOOT in B+W (only select B+W as a picture style) but the image will still show up on your computer in colour.
As raw captures all the details about the colours, etc.

So in a word it's a daft question :p

Never assume. Why would people neccessarily shoot in raw?

I'm amazed at how many people take umbridge at non-photographers saying what normal people say. These days on TP it seems that once you've joined a photography forum you have divine right to look down your nose at people who don't have an inkling about photography. I love it when people ask me about photography, no matter who basic and obvious the question. If anything, it makes me laugh because I can't wait to explain to them just what I'm doing.

I do this for a living and I want to give people the best impression of me as possible. If that means putting up with a few questions that to us photographers sound silly, then so be it - have a reality check guys...

I had a vaguely similar situation early in the week.
When I was down at the harbour taking my sunset shots I had the camera on the tripod with the remote release attached. On the front of the lens I had my cokin filter holder and my Hitech ND's slotted in.

A gentleman who walks past (nice pleasant chap) started talking to me. First thing he asked was "is that a 550D?"
My first thought in my head was what makes you think that???? Does he see the slot in filters and assume its an expensive camera????

The look on his face when I told him it was just Canon's entry level 1000D was priceless. He then wen't on to mumble something about having a 30D before walking off!

As someone with a 4 year old D50 and still learning i would say the only stupid question is the one i didnt ask. I have many time asked apparently daft questions and been given answers, each time the questions get less and less daft as my knowledge expands. Sometimes people ask me daft questions and i give them the benefit of my (little and ever increasing) knowledge or point them in the direction of this forum if they seem keen to learn.

A little fun in answers from pro's or experianced togs is ok but belittling comments will just put people off photography. Knowing the OP i would not have thought his answer would be belittling just his kind of humor.

I'm amazed at how many people take umbridge at non-photographers saying what normal people say. These days on TP it seems that once you've joined a photography forum you have divine right to look down your nose at people who don't have an inkling about photography. I love it when people ask me about photography, no matter who basic and obvious the question. If anything, it makes me laugh because I can't wait to explain to them just what I'm doing.

I do this for a living and I want to give people the best impression of me as possible. If that means putting up with a few questions that to us photographers sound silly, then so be it - have a reality check guys...

I agree with Specialman, this looking down your nose at people who ask a civil question about you camera daft as it may be to you cos you were born with the knowledge, why make out these people who obviously have no knowledge of photography terms to be plonkers. With attitudes like that is it any wonder you see terms like camera snobs etc.

How many of you take your car to a garage to be fixed and when the mechanic tries to explain the problem because you don't understand the gubbins of the engine etc does that make you know it all's a idiot too ?

I couldn't agree more,and not only this but do you not think that sarcastic replies just gives togs a bad name. Do you really want people to think your head is permanently wedged up your own derriere. I am by no means as good as a lot on here,but I still try and explain and help anyone no matter how daft the question. Its better to be a teacher than a prima donna.

Lets make it clear guys, I have no problem with people asking genuine questions and I go out of my way to help them and also help people with the P&S at weddings take better pics.

I've had a few comments about the cameras and I usually smile and hand it over and when they realise I've been hefting around a ton of kit with a smile on my face all day they usually have a laugh.

The time to spin a few dials is when someone is having a little bit of a dig. I do get it sometimes being female and blonde and it usually comes from a bloke funnily enough. And they don't let it go if you ignore them, they just get louder! If someone is going out of their way to take the **** forgive me if I bring them down a peg or two. It's rare thankfully but it does happen.

I've been in the situation once, someone complimented one of my photos, and someone else said 'yeah, he's got a HUGE camera!'

Ahh that must be why I've got two such wonderful kids!! :D

Just for my penny's worth.

I can see why some people would feel aggrieved when someone else is trying to score points off or belittle you whilst doing the job someone has paid good money for your services. But surely that's where your professional attitude to the job comes in. Smile, be polite and show no emotion whilst thinking in your head how much you'd love to shove their out of date Diana up their rear... and with the flash attached!!!

And you'll always get the guy who can afford a decent camera standing there thinking they're the dogs doodahs. Well let them, so what? It's you that's being paid for your camera skills while they stand there wafting 3 kilos of camera about looking the part. It used to be medallions and chest wigs back in the eighties, but now they've got money to buy cameras.

I'm a total newbie compared to some of you guys and even I get compliments based on the size and price of my camera. But I try to explain this to them. Assuming I could afford a top notch supercar, you know a Jag :)love:), I could drive it fast, yes, we all could do that. But could I just go off and powerslide it around a corner in perfect control, no. I'd need to learn how to do it first and more than likely put a few dings in it beforehand; if I ever got it right.

Being new to the DSLR world, there is much to learn.

If you remember back to your early days at school, if you want to ask a question you should do, as probably 90% of the class have the same question, stupid or not :shrug:

A couple of times, I’ve tried to chat to “pro” togs, obviously not when they were busy, but they seemed uninterested in helping

It seems with some people “knowledge is power” :LOL:

You should not confuse genuine interest or seemingly daft questions as a threat or an insult to your abilities.

I have just spent 25 years in the RAF as an aircraft technician and have lost count of the times I’ve been asked “are you a pilot?”
This never bothered me, as it’s an innocent question mostly posed as the main face of the RAF is the Red Arrows.

I agree, it seems a shame to react to people like that when they are asking genuine questions and showing an interest or just making conversation. It must be hard for the people that know everything about everything, but for the rest of us mere mortals its nice to find out about something from someone that obviously knows about it.

Agree with this.

From what Ive seen on this forum there are some people asking some pretty stupid questions too. On the whole they get a reply without sarcasm and trying to score points off them. I dont see the point in trying to make someone look small by changing settings so the questioner, who obviously has little or no knowledge of the camera cant take a usable shot.

Agree with this as well.

I don't get why everyone gets so upset over this. If someone says to me 'great pictures, you must have an amazing camera' I take it as a compliment and say 'yeah it's really good'.

Of course it's not just about the camera but is it really something to get upset over?

Most of us do have really good cameras don't we? Which help us to take better pictures? :shrug:

I'm amazed at how many people take umbridge at non-photographers saying what normal people say. These days on TP it seems that once you've joined a photography forum you have divine right to look down your nose at people who don't have an inkling about photography.

There is a strong element of that on this forum. Sometimes I think it's the old story of talking a good fight - "If I tell people how superior I am often enough, maybe I'll even start to believe it myself."

I don't get why everyone gets so upset over this. If someone says to me 'great pictures, you must have an amazing camera' I take it as a compliment and say 'yeah it's really good'.

Of course it's not just about the camera but is it really something to get upset over?

Most of us do have really good cameras don't we? Which help us to take better pictures? :shrug:

It is odd isn't it given how much of this forum is populated with talk about what kit is better/best.

Choosing and haivng the right tools for the job is a vital part of any profession.

Definately agree with this one, especially since I use back button focussing and other people with lower DSLR's dont understand why it wont focus and then why it's under/ overexposed on manual when they are used to using Auto
As someone who has a "lower DSLR", I certainly don't understand this term, and I assume I am not the only "lower DSLR" owner on here who doesn't understand this term.

What is back-button focussing?

As someone who has a "lower DSLR", I certainly don't understand this term, and I assume I am not the only "lower DSLR" owner on here who doesn't understand this term.

What is back-button focussing?

I assume he means the facility to assign focusing to one of the buttons on the back of the camera rather than to a half press on the shutter release. I have this option on my E-3.

Sometimes it's a bit like the Magic Circle here, with magicians reluctant to divulge details of their illusions. :D

Goody, he's basically saying that because on the rear of his camera there's a focus button that activates the AF (meaning you don't have to use the shutter release to do this), it confuses people who have cameras without this function. He also means that because he uses manual mode, plebs who try to use the camera will be mystified over the results because they only use full auto mode.

Here is the AF-ON button on the rear of a Nikon. They have them on other makes too. Press it and it focuses the lens....

D300_vs_D200_back_controls.jpg

This attitude to others is what's wrong with TP these days - because they have loads of expensive kit they believe they're the nuts and can act like ****s to people with lesser knowledge.

I assume he means the facility to assign focusing to one of the buttons on the back of the camera rather than to a half press on the shutter release. I have this option on my E-3.

Sometimes it's a bit like the Magic Circle here, with magicians reluctant to divulge details of their illusions. :D
Thanks. I was hoping to get a non-sarcastic answer, and that is what I got! (y)

Funny, I have that facility on my "lower DSLR" as well.

Thanks. I was hoping to get a non-sarcastic answer, and that is what I got! (y)

Funny, I have that facility on my "lower DSLR" as well.

I have back button focusing on my D90 (y)

Back on topic

I've had some numpties come up to me once when I was doing some architectural photography, they said "oh thats a big camera", to which I replied "well thats a big building"

:)

Goody, he's basically saying that because on the rear of his camera there's a focus button that activates the AF (meaning you don't have to use the shutter release to do this), it confuses people who have cameras without this function. He also means that because he uses manual mode, plebs who try to use the camera will be mystified over the results because they only use full auto mode.

Here is the AF-ON button on the rear of a Nikon. They have them on other makes too. Press it and it focuses the lens....

D300_vs_D200_back_controls.jpg

This attitude to others is what's wrong with TP these days - because they have loads of expensive kit they believe they're the nuts and can act like ****s to people with lesser knowledge.

Sorry If I wasn't clear in my first post. In no way at all do I have a go at people for asking questions regarding camera equipment and I actively let guests have a go and try to explain a couple of things. Just have a chuckle to myself at the end of the day :LOL:

I like to help people out into the realms of Photography, I was just merely stated that it confuses sooo many people and they get even more confused when I try to explain how to focus.

I got this yesterday, "wow, that's a really good camera" when they saw the image on the LCD. It's a compliment really.

Everyone was taking pictures at a sunny garden party. Harsh sun, and they were all struggling with horrible shadows, squinting eyes, blitzed out backgrounds and silhouettes.

I just turned them around, the girls that is in pretty posh frocks ;) against the light and dialled in -2/3rds with E-TTL flash, high speed sync, Lumiquest - sorted.

Sure the equipment helps, but you've got to know how to use it.

I think, in fairness, what some people are getting at is the perception that the camera is the be all and end all of taking good photographs. I accept that having top notch gear helps, but there is also a lot of input from the user with regards to experience ,talent and skill.

I think, in fairness, what some people are getting at is the perception that the camera is the be all and end all of taking good photographs. I accept that having top notch gear helps, but there is also a lot of input from the user with regards to experience ,talent and skill.

Thats very true, but the perception of what type of camera being the most important factor is very strong even on this forum, judging by the number of Nikon v Canon and anything else is rubbish debates. :D

Even though I'm not a pro on any level, I get these comments as well.. most often I reply something along the lines of.. "Yes it's a great camera, BUT"

- the best camera is the one that's with you
- it doesn't make people smile more or stop babies from crying unfortunately
- it's still up to me to see the photo op and press the button
- the pictures are utter crap if I don't concentrate on what I'm doing
- took me 6 months to learn how to use it, but it's worth it

I know it's a bit of a self-demeaning and "roll over and die" way to treat it, but I just want to bump the discussion off the kit track into something more meaningful that they can relate to.

its funny when you turn up with a pentax in your hand,
the first thing that is said when you wip it out are you not using a nikon or canon.
(i say na there to low end for my liking)

I just say, "No, I'm not good enough to use one of those." That usually kills the conversation. :)

My mate has a set of industry-standard DJ decks, a fantastic mixer, a very capable amp, some very powerful speakers, and a lot of excellent music. He mixes it superbly.

I say, "Wow, that's some pretty good equipment, the music sounds really good!" and he replies, "Go on, have a go, if it's the equipment that makes it good then, well, I guess anyone could do it."
I was 'mixing' for about 30 seconds before I said, "Okay fair point mate :p"

One time my friend and I were chilling out, he was playing his guitar and I was taking pictures. He is very good at guitar, and then he asked to see one of the pictures on the screen. He says, "Wow... that's a really good camera, it takes really good pictures!"
I replied with, "Cheers. Your guitar must be really good, the music it's playing is amazing!"
He pauses, looks confused, then a wave of understanding washes over his face and he laughs and says, "fair enough mate! haha"

My point is, you will always have a better understanding of the equipment and skill needed for your hobby/profession of choice than someone whose choice is not your hobby/profession, take it tongue in cheek and explain that while, yes, the camera is good, it wouldn't be taking great pictures by itself, would it?

I must be missing something. You're getting annoyed because someone says your camera takes nice photos? Sure it's the person behind the camera etc but it's hardly an insult and pretty normal for someone comment with no real interest in photography? :)

and what's wrong with asking if you are shooting B&W? were you? :D

Totally agree, they are ONLY asking usually in AWE or genuine interest, sarcastic or flippant comments just get you the reputation of a smart @rse and maybe lose some business (they were maybe opening a conversation then offering business) but not with that attitude.

As basic amateurs see me driving a golf ball 290+ they ask about my equipment (ooeerr missus) and I let them try my clubs but I dont bend the shaft or give them the one with bad loft/lie etc to see them fail.......

Be proud they are seeing you as the expert and you can enlighten them about how difficult it really is without making them feel small...........
Just my opinion but its the bigger men who show respect to anyone

I was asked a few months back to take some photos of my works opening - it was a joint agency affair and the other agency brought along a professional tog - I had my D90 with me . The guy was really nice and friendly to me. He had better gear than I did - I felt smaller than him not due to the gear but because of his vast range of experience + better photos ;) But throughout he was really pleasant to me and not once was he rude!

You would think those of us hobbists who have SLR would know when to shut up and perhaps learn something. Which I did that day the way he worked the crowd was a real eye opener and a learning experience for me (y)

I dont get this at all, I thought if you had lots of knowledge you would share it with people, I find it very immature to get a kick from making them look or feel stupid, I just dont get that at all.

Ive been working with disabled people, would you act the same with them if they asked about your camera or asked what you see as a stupid question, would you get a kick out of making them look or feel stupid?

Dont know why anyones boasting about how they have made people look because they have asked questions that you see as stupid or not very clued up.

I dont know why you feel the need to treat people like that, while all they are doing is showing an interest in what your doing or using, or this might sound foreign, but just making polite conversation.

Like I said before, it must be hard being perfect and knowing everything about everything. I thought most photographers would appreciate this sort of conversation and interest, looks like I got that one wrong!

I had a best man scoffing at me for using (fill) flash; 'Do you know you've got your flash on? It's day don't you know!'

Upon inspection of some of his shots during the evening (f8, 1/40 etc) I had the last chuckle when he couldn't understand why my shots were sharp and his were a dark, blurry mess!

A post like that coming from an Olympus owner? Doesn't surprise me!

;) :LOL:

I'm afraid I don't follow.....:shrug:

....probably in more ways than one. :D

BTW you must agree that it's the photographer who is important and not the camera if you are still using a 30D. :)

I dont get this at all, I thought if you had lots of knowledge you would share it with people, I find it very immature to get a kick from making them look or feel stupid, I just dont get that at all.

Ive been working with disabled people, would you act the same with them if they asked about your camera or asked what you see as a stupid question, would you get a kick out of making them look or feel stupid?

Dont know why anyones boasting about how they have made people look because they have asked questions that you see as stupid or not very clued up.

I dont know why you feel the need to treat people like that, while all they are doing is showing an interest in what your doing or using, or this might sound foreign, but just making polite conversation.

Like I said before, it must be hard being perfect and knowing everything about everything. I thought most photographers would appreciate this sort of conversation and interest, looks like I got that one wrong!

No Ben, you are right - most togs do appreciate a chat, it's just a few with over inflated opinions of themselves who prefer to strut like peacocks.

The most common question I get asked, particularly by non-photographers, is what I am taking a picture of. As my camera is often mounted on a tripod I invite them to look through the viewfinder and then I explain why the view attracted me. They love it. I appreciate why some pros haven't got time for that, but a cheery smile and a friendly comment never does any harm. :)

There is a strong element of that on this forum. Sometimes I think it's the old story of talking a good fight - "If I tell people how superior I am often enough, maybe I'll even start to believe it myself."

And yet, those who are very good at their jobs (i'm not saying superior - as I think we all still want to learn - and I don't want to sound "better" than anyone else) tend to keep quiet about it. I certainly don't boast about my employers, and nor do a number of other guys who are pro togs here...I'm thinking of Scottcampbell, The_Bionic_Dan, Andy*, Rovers_Andy, purpleclouds, Edtog etc.

You don't see many people saying "I work for XXXX, therefore I have a right to speak down to you". There is this element of people wanting to seem superior to other people, and it does extend into real life...I take great pride in speaking to other guys at small events and helping out. The other week I was out at the American Football and one of the players girlfriends had been given his D300 to use to get some shots to send back home...and she was way out of her depth. Do you think I a) belittled her to such an extent that she thought all pro togs are "anchors" or b) helped her out so she could get some decent shots? The other photographer there had already been asked and had given the reply of "why have you got it if you don't know how to use it?".

Incidentally, I never get "ooh that camera takes good pics" I get "oooh, are you from Sky TV or BBC"

I went to my mate's wedding a month or so ago. I've got my D40, which as you all know is a 5 year old entry level slr.

I got comments like "you have a very impressive camera" "bet it takes good photos" after letting someone have a go "how do i put it on auto"

I think the perception is that a 'big' camera will just do everything for you.

It is even better when someone sees your photos and asks you what camera you are using, how much it costs etc. And you say about 400 quid for the Camera & lens, the look on some peoples face is amazing :LOL:

Did the exact same thing this morning "it's only 6mp, really" :LOL:

I suppose if bigger, better cameras didnt take better pictures, all the camera mags wouldnt waste at least 10 pages each doing camera reviews and head to head tests.;)

My camera does take nice pictures, in fact if you put it on a tripod and take a picture of just about anything then swap it for my compact and take the same picture with equivalent settings I bet i know which one is better. Might still be total rubish but definately better quality rubish!

Back