Ooh, it's here

RobertP said:
Have you asked for and been refused a refund?
If you paid by credit card the card company may be able to advise you.
Not yet, I asked for the procedure and they said send it back for repair. But on their site:
Guarantee
Should a product prove faulty or be incorrectly supplied we will be pleased to make full refund, including return postage. We reserve the right not to accept for credit correctly supplied non-faulty goods. This does not affect your statutory rights under the recently introduced ‘distance selling regulations’.

CT: Thanks, very helpful, that's what I was looking for but could only find the verbage version.

Cheers daz, took me almost two months to find that one, don't really want to go the ebay route and now I'm thinking I might just go for a new one. I do have the option on another but it's private. Hmm, wonder if they would cut me a deal???

I can't believe they didn't pick this up before sending it out. And the sensor wasn't cleaned :bang: Ah well, let the games begin :naughty: :LOL:

good luck - If you where in the US, then I guess you'd get a lot more going through the second hand market...

Have you asked the previous owner if the banding was evident in his photos? If it wasn't, that just gives another strike against the second hand site for bad handling of gear.

Leo

mattski said:
you should have bought mine!! boxed, with manual and only 2426 shots taken!
You didn't post early enough, I'd bought it at lunchtime, you posted in the evening :( Waiting for an email response, have asked for refund under DSR.

Result, it was a forceful email though :D

Rather than become involved in protracted correspondence over a camera that
is faulty I think it would be for the best if you were to parcel the item
up and return it to us for a full refund, naturally we will refund your
return postage.

At least they've got good customer service and have agreed to an immediate refund, it could have been a lot worse. Not much comfort though when you've been waiting a long time.

Colin.

Very disappointing Doddy, but for the best I'm sure mate.;)

Bad luck on the camera, but atleast you seem to have sorted it - good luck in your quest for another (y)

Hacker said:
At least they've got good customer service and have agreed to an immediate refund, it could have been a lot worse. Not much comfort though when you've been waiting a long time.

True, but this is what I sent them, they probably thought Oh, no, lets git rid of this one :puke:

Dear Sirs

Last week I purchased a used Canon 1D MkII from you for approximately £XXXX. It was duly delivered on Monday 22nd May.

Unfortunately I have a number of issues with the camera which need to be fully addressed. I spoke to Mr X this morning and he advised me to return the camera for repair but I feel a more formal response is required.

1. Prior to purchasing the camera I discussed the condition etc with your Mr X. Two of the questions asked were whether or not XXXXX knew who the previous owner was and the number of shutter actuations.

I was advised that it was not possible to determine the actual number of shutter operations but, after consultation with another member of staff, Mr X advised that it was fairly light usage by a “keen amateur”.

On taking a number of test photographs I found that the previous owners name was still contained within the Exif data. Unfortunately it turns out that the owner was not a keen amateur but a freelance professional regularly travelling the world photographing celebrities including the likes of Robbie Williams et al. I’m sure that by checking your records however you will be able to confirm this, along with the original sale of the camera to the same gentleman 18 months previously.

Further investigation fairly easily reveals the number of shutter actuations is approximately 24000, hardly keen amateur usage in the 18 months of prior ownership. The download in the attached link will enable you to easily check this in the future and may well be helpful to you.

http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/min.../download.html

2. I specifically asked for the sensor to be cleaned prior to dispatch. Unfortunately it appears that this has not been done as there are a number of dust particles clearly visible with the naked eye.

3. The final issue is possibly more serious. On carrying out a number of test shots a light banding running horizontally across the frame is evident. Sample files will be forwarded tonight for your reference.

The placement of the abnormality is consistent in both portrait and landscape perspectives and appears when used with a number of lenses. Namely a canon 17-40mm, a canon 100mm macro and a sigma 70-200 F2.8.

In view of this I believe that there is an inherent defect within the camera, possibly relating to the sensor, the processor or shutter mechanism.

Conclusions

The condition and history of the camera have been misrepresented. If I had been fully aware of the true situation I would probably not have purchased the camera, at very least not at the price agreed.
The sensor has not been cleaned, or if it has it has not been done properly nor checked.
It would appear that due to the photographic defect due diligence in a full inspection of the camera prior to delivery has not been carried out.

Proposed Solutions

My preferred solution is that the camera be returned to XXXXX at your expense and a full and immediate refund be given. I believe I am entitled to this under Distance selling regulations and can request the refund be made prior to the camera actually being returned.
2. Under certain conditions I would be prepared to accept a repair and return of the camera.
Should the defect be no more than an optical fault, eg smearing caused by poor cleaning, and this is confirmed by a Canon service report I would be happy to accept return of the camera but only subject to.

In the event that the defect is not as a result of a critical component, in view of the confusion over the actual condition, ownership and history of the camera I would expect a partial refund should be made to reflect the true situation. I would have considered a value of £XXXX including VAT would have been more representative.
Obviously there are a number of checks you will have to carry out at your end to confirm the details I mention above but in order that I can comply with the requirements of the Distance Selling regulations it would be appreciated if you could respond within 24 hours.

If you are unable to do so I will have no alternative but to ask for you for a full and immediate refund and you to arrange collection of the camera at your leisure.

I've just looked at my original invoice - £3021 !!! makes me weep the tears of a child!

Very well written dod, if you want to get anywhere with a retailer/complaint that is the way to go about it. :)

excellent letter, firm but not rude.

good luck getting it sorted :)

What a blow dod......hope it gets sorted as quickly as possible(y)

Ta guys, have arrived at an agreement with Matski so hopefully alls well that ends well :)

Great letter dod, I know where to come if I should have a problems. Hope it gets sorted quickly.

mattski said:
I've just looked at my original invoice - £3021 !!! makes me weep the tears of a child!

Ouch! That's more than I paid for my N version, and that's still come down in price considerably since I bought it. Can't say I really give a toss though - the camera performs faultlessy, and that's the main thing at the end of the day. :D

CT said:
Doddy, have a look at this post and download the little exif reader file. It should tell you how many shutter actuations your camera has had.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/72050/0_

Format a card, take a pic then open the pic in the exif reader file.

CT, does this exif reader only show the number of shutter actuations on the 1D series?. Out of interest I've tried it on my 5D, but doesn't seem to show how many shutter actuations it done. :thinking:

I'm not sure Ash. I just tried with the 20D and it doesn't seem to work with that either. :thinking:

CT said:
I'm not sure Ash. I just tried with the 20D and it doesn't seem to work with that either. :thinking:

Won't work with my 1DMkII. :(

Well it works as an Exif reader but no mention of shutter actions as on the link I read..:thinking:

Curious then Tim! It works fine with my 1D. I've tried it several times and that number shown in the example (1043) increases as it should with the number of exposures.

busterboy said:
Won't work with my 1DMkII. :(

Well it works as an Exif reader but no mention of shutter actions as on the link I read..:thinking:
I noticed it didn't work on a raw file but was fine with a jpeg :shrug:

Well I've tried raw, tiff's, and jpegs and it doesn't work on any of them. Anyone know of any other readers or programs that can tell you how many shots you've taken?.

The 5D doesn't work, only the 1 series

edit: The 5D can take a Tiff photo?

dod said:
I noticed it didn't work on a raw file but was fine with a jpeg :shrug:

Tried both dod but still no info..:(

But I have got an idea..:naughty:

dod said:
Anyone using anything other than canon batteries for this thing? I'll need a spare, maybe two depending on how many shots you get from them.
As you know dod, I got a 1dmkII a month or so ago, I ghot mine off ebay refurbished and it showed only 800 shots had been fired using the exif software above, ive bought 2x Compatable batteries[/ur] for a total of £33.93 for both. The original battery lasted 4000 photos before the gauge dropped from Full, and is still going strong, the compatables DO have a weather seal and seem to be fine, ive not actually had cause use one yet though.

Not a bad service overall, disappointing initially but good recovery :)
There is unfortunately nothing automated about our refund procedures we do them all by punching numbers into a machine. That said the refund was done today at 10:05, please be aware that it might take two days from close of
business today for it to appear on any on-line statement you view

dod said:
Not a bad service overall, disappointing initially but good recovery :)

Sad it happened but a good result dod..:clap:

busterboy said:
Sad it happened but a good result dod..:clap:
Even better mate, the one from Mattski arrived today, absolutely minty, nicer than the one I had to put back, out of the box the minute I got home :D

DreederUK said:
As you know dod, I got a 1dmkII a month or so ago, I ghot mine off ebay refurbished and it showed only 800 shots had been fired using the exif software above, ive bought 2x http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=100918]Compatable batteries for a total of £33.93 for both. The original battery lasted 4000 photos before the gauge dropped from Full, and is still going strong, the compatables DO have a weather seal and seem to be fine, ive not actually had cause use one yet though.

Link fixed for anyone who can't be bothered :)

Everyone round to Doddy's to play with his new toy. :)

Result! Great camera mate, and you'll really exploit it.... which is the main thing. ;)

Back