OOI,why do you look but not comment on a thread ?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I see this all the time on TP.

A new thread gets posted, laods of view but not a single comment ?

How hard is it to just pass a few sentences - be it positive or negative ...

I think we are all getting a little lazy and also saturated with quality, therefore unless its perfect, noone CBA to actually to comment ?

Could you write in English please? I have no idea what that means.

I See What You Did There.....

IE, Retune was trying to be funny by being obvious that he had viewed the thread but not posted any repsonse.....

01000010 01100101 01100011 01100001 01110101 01110011 01100101 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01100100 00101110

01000010 01100101 01100011 01100001 01110101 01110011 01100101 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01100100 00101110

:D :D :D :D

I see this going on funny track rather sooner than later... :)

so a few people like to be funny - which is fine - up to a point.

Surely if you can be bothered to make a few comments and you CBA to take the p***, then good or bad crit is more worthy ?

Or is TP now down to standard FB levels of pure attention whoring ?

Last edited:
I think we are all getting a little lazy and also saturated with quality, therefore unless its perfect, noone CBA to actually to comment ?
I think saturated may be the right word, but I'd put the mark closer to saturated with mediocrity. If you want to fire off a post without any reflection or self-editing of the material being posted, don't be disappointed if it doesn't get a comment. And when you do share an image or set of images it's usually not enough just to let the images stand on their own. Putting some thought into providing a context will get you more responses and more thoughtful responses.

tl:dr - you get back what you put in, and dump'n'run threads get ignored.

This has been going on for a long while and I intentionally post photos that I regard to be of a lower standard than I am happy with :D

I think saturated may be the right word, but I'd put the mark closer to saturated with mediocrity. If you want to fire off a post without any reflection or self-editing of the material being posted, don't be disappointed if it doesn't get a comment. And when you do share an image or set of images it's usually not enough just to let the images stand on their own. Putting some thought into providing a context will get you more responses and more thoughtful responses.

tl:dr - you get back what you put in, and dump'n'run threads get ignored.

I fully agree, and I guess to some extent, we are all guilty of that to some extent.
But as long as the content has some half decent content,even a like doesnt hurt ?

What have I got to add other than inane, mindless chatter? Chances are there's enough of that already, just look on here!

the subject lines are so decieving sometimes.. it looks interesting then when you get inside its soemhting completly different so you leave..

A lot of my time is spent on TP just idle browsing. Something to kill time, reading/looking at threads.
I do agree with what @Alastair has said above though, essentially one reaps what they sow.

Sometimes it is difficult to think what to say but generally 'interaction' has been declining from TP ever since the introduction of the 'Like' option ... the drive to be 'popular' like Facebook & Twitter has not really been to the benefit of a photography community style.

1744 Posts in 8 years, so not a prolific poster yourself, but that's your choice.
Too many folks starting to moan about lack of comments on images etc.
Good knows how we all coped before the internet and forums etc.

Last edited:
1744 Posts in 8 years, so not a prolific poster yourself, but that's your choice.
Hertsman makes plenty of contributions in the forum he is interested in, captive animals.

If I can add a point that hasn't been made before I will, I always try to be constructive in the nicest possible way without completely shattering people's confidence. Like others have said I'll click on a title sometimes it'll be something different to what I was expecting and leave straight away - not through ignorance but not having sufficient knowledge of the subject matter.

My view is similar to some of the sensible ones above :D

1 - people ask for crit on an image, but it needs so much commentary to be really helpful that it'd take too long and I haven't the time. "Go read a How to take better photos book" is rarely considered helpful but is often highly appropriate

2 - title looks intriguing, post is boring

3 - someone else has already answered well enough, I have nothing to add

4 - CBA

5 - mostly CBA

6 - there's probably more reasons but No:4 has cut in already

Dave

To be honest, I see images and quite often think, I really like that. Usually for what it is, a good picture. Then someone offers genuine crit, and I then think how i'd never noticed the issues with the picture.

To be honest, I see images and quite often think, I really like that. Usually for what it is, a good picture. Then someone offers genuine crit, and I then think how i'd never noticed the issues with the picture.

This is a problem I see all the time as a Club Judge - many photos are lovely, nice, good etc. and those comments alone can, should, be enough; but where someone is asking for crit then giving it often spoils the image for others as what was once lovely can now be full of faults (even though they are probably very minor ones or even just personal preferences)

Its a bit like having a favourite wine which you always enjoy, then some d******d who's been on a wine-tasting course comes and tells you its crap. However much you want to ignore them it still taints your appreciation

Proper full photo crit takes a lot of effort and is best in a (private) two-way conversation with the author and its primarily technique led, the art & meaning etc. is so personal as to be very difficult to give meaningful crit to IMO

Hence a really good image is hard to comment on just as a poor one needs too much commentary. I tend to go for ones where a single point or question was asked rather than a general crit

Dave

Is there a question in the hypothetical thread like you asked here? As a newbie I see a lot of the comments as needing to say something nice when the photograph is so good that nothing needs to be said (but that is OK as it is the norm for the forum). But when photographs are snapshots and there is no question it is even harder to say something. Blast the person for posting rubbish that I would not dare post, be nice and waffle, or try to explain what is wrong when the person obviously thinks it is fine.

What do you say in new threads (sorry not looking at your posting history)?

Would post more, but a bit wary because people seem much more sensitive these days and so easy to upset with a seemingly innocuous comment.

Would post more, but a bit wary because people seem much more sensitive these days and so easy to upset with a seemingly innocuous comment.

Surely that's just like a text message, sometimes the tone of a statement can be read wrong? Least that's what I tell my missus :D

I think some take the number of views too seriously. I don't believe the number is specifically made up of members, a lot of them will be bots for example. This is the reason they were originally removed, they only reappeared when we moved over to Xenforo.

Only 1 in 8 views have left a reply to this thread. I generally just browse and will follow threads of interest, occasionally leaving comments. Posting a comment for every view is just not feasible, life is too short.

I don't believe the number is specifically made up of members, a lot of them will be bots for example.
When I did web stats for some very high volume sites there were screams of anguish when the final figures came out. Once you take out all the noise, twenty thousand hits a day dwindles to the hundreds and even they thin down when you apply historical smoothing.

Well we recently had one member said they wouldn't comment unless full exif information was provided.

Realistically, sometime the thread title attracts attention, but the images/content fails to deliver the expected interest. It's the internet so it's move on and read/comment elsewhere.

What do you want - just to collect 'likes' and nice pic comments? Stick to social media for that surely?

Good knows how we all coped before the internet and forums etc.

We all used to go and visit friends and relatives, but we do not do that anymore. Friends and relatives no longer talk to their visitors, they are too busy talking to their friends and relatives online. May as well stay at home and online, that way friends and relatives will talk eagerly then. I tend not to visit anymore, probably why I am three stone overweight. :eek:

I think some take the number of views too seriously. I don't believe the number is specifically made up of members, a lot of them will be bots for example. This is the reason they were originally removed, they only reappeared when we moved over to Xenforo.

I wasnt aware of that, thanks.

Sometimes it is difficult to think what to say but generally 'interaction' has been declining from TP ever since the introduction of the 'Like' option ... the drive to be 'popular' like Facebook & Twitter has not really been to the benefit of a photography community style.

I think the 'like' button has probably reduced the number of 'nice shot' responses, which isn't such a terrible thing

A very valid point. Id not considered that people will often take the quick and easy option.

Still think most people want praise and not honest opinion with good and bad points raised.

Amount of times I have seen small birds sharpened to within an inch of their lives, that's not feather detail its artifacts from too much sharpening.

When I did web stats for some very high volume sites there were screams of anguish when the final figures came out. Once you take out all the noise, twenty thousand hits a day dwindles to the hundreds and even they thin down when you apply historical smoothing.
There are lies, damn lies, and the statistics you find displayed on forum homepages.

If you drill into those statistics for most established forums you'll find that over 80% of accounts won't have accessed the site in over two years and 95% will have made 20 or fewer posts since registering. There's nothing remarkable about this, but I've known forum owners loudly protest it isn't the case for their forum when trying to get new advertisers on-board.

Back