Oooh, it arrived.

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Postie arrived today with a parcel I didn't think would be arriving till tomorrow, maybe saturday. :)

There's now a nice shiny 17-40 sitting on the desk, but I've got jobs to do, can't see me getting the chance to try it out tonight at all :(

I am sure that when you do get a minute free to have a look and play with your new purchase, you will be totally happy. Thats another L lens added to your growing collection.

just a little bit pleased, managed 5 minutes and this is very nice. Couple of quickies just to test it at F4, hand held. First at 40mm next at 17mm. No processing, RAW and at ISO100. First one looks noisy though, not the first time I've thought that :(

1740at49f4.jpg

1740at17f4.jpg

Good and sharp mate ! :) colours look good too ! the out of focus bits in that first one do look noisy, is it like that in the original un-cropped image ? ! maybe me though !

What camera is that with ?

(adds 17-40L to list) lol

What RAW processing software did you use?

I have noticed a couple of my 20D shots contain noise that I wouldn't have expected at low iso's but some of the higher iso's shots are much better than I would have thought. This seems strange to me and I am currently playing with camera settings, lens combinations and different RAW convertors to see it there is a pattern or if it is just the camera?

I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Steve said:
What RAW processing software did you use?

I have noticed a couple of my 20D shots contain noise that I wouldn't have expected at low iso's but some of the higher iso's shots are much better than I would have thought. This seems strange to me and I am currently playing with camera settings, lens combinations and different RAW convertors to see it there is a pattern or if it is just the camera?

I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Thanks Steve. I tend to use the software in CS. What I have noticed is that it's normally in images with shallower DOF with greenish backgrounds. Also a 20D.

dod said:
What I have noticed is that it's normally in images with shallower DOF with greenish backgrounds. Also a 20D.

I have to go out in a few minutes but when I get back I will go through some of my recent shots of flowers / macro and see if these are showing the noise signs more or less than the other shots. Luckily I have amassed many different shots from the 20D at all ISO's in a relatively short time, certainly enough to find a pattern if there is one.

I'd love to help with samples but I lost my back up drive last night. I'd just moved everything across to it to clear up some space, all I have left is what's on web space just now, even the two tryouts above are gone. :crying: You would not believe the pelters I'm getting from the wife.

Funny thing was I was updating my webspace last night and I got a message saying one file couldn't be processed as the sector couldn't be found. It was late though so I didn't fancy transferring the data and swapping out the disk. This morning the drive is gone.

We know what the moral of the story is.

Thats really tough mate. Is the drive still working but not showing any data, if so try some of the recovery software that is available, you may not get all of your images back but some will be better than none.

As you say, we all know what the morale of this tale is and we are all equally as guilty of the crime as the next person. it's just that some of us seem to be more unlucky than others.

Steve said:
Thats really tough mate. Is the drive still working but not showing any data, if so try some of the recovery software that is available, you may not get all of your images back but some will be better than none.

As you say, we all know what the morale of this tale is and we are all equally as guilty of the crime as the next person. it's just that some of us seem to be more unlucky than others.

It is still showing as a drive which gives me some hope. I think it's probably just the FAT which has gone. Can't access it at all through windows management but have still to try from a command prompt. To be honest right now I'd live with getting the wife's stuff back.

Not sure if it's any good to you dod, if the drive is knacked, it probably isn't, but I have a CD called Bart PE, which runs XP direct from your CD drive. I was very grateful of it the other day when my system crashed, I was able to start Windows (from the CD) and rescue some stuff I'd no doubt have lost otherwise, before I did the re-install of XP.

CT said:
Not sure if it's any good to you dod, if the drive is knacked, it probably isn't, but I have a CD called Bart PE, which runs XP direct from your CD drive. I was very grateful of it the other day when my system crashed, I was able to start Windows (from the CD) and rescue some stuff I'd no doubt have lost otherwise, before I did the re-install of XP.

Thanks CT but it's not the OS that's gone, it's my secondary drive. Only used for some data and backup so I'm a bit surprised it's corrupted like this.

I don't know if this will help as it is designed for recovering images from a cf card, however I presume it treats it as a drive and therfore may help with your situation.

Full credit goes to Matt for originally posting this..

I recently had a compact flash card report it needed formatting in the camera, this was after filling it up with images.
I couldn't access the images at all, not even when I returned home to view them on the PC.

What I believe I had done to cause this was down to my technique at the PC with the last set of photos I had taken.
My method in RSE was:
I select all images on the media card, then move them to a file on the PC.
This empties the memory card of all of the images, leaving the usual canon eos folder.
However I forgot to format the card before re-using it.
I beleive the data left in the CF folder was telling the camera that there were still images there.
After filling the card to the point where the camera thought it was full, I could no longer use the card or view the images.
The camera returned the message media error, formatting required.

Recovery.
I downloaded a free program called PC Inspector
This program supports most of the major camera RAW formats aswell as jpg, tiff, etc......
I set it running, backing up anything it found to my HDD.
After almost an hour it had recovered 140 images from the card.
One thing I did notice, the image number sequence was out.
Which is why I came to the theory above.

Conclusion.
Always format your card before using again in the camera.
Always transfer your images to your PC/Mac ASAP, then back them up.
Download PC Inspector just in case this happens to you.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

thanks for the link, just away to try it now. If it doesn't work I'll put the drive into the guy who does our work stuff. I was speaking to him today while getting a new HDD and DVDRW :eek:ops: and it turns out he does data recovery for the Police up here. If anyone can recover the files hopefully he can

Hmm, it can see it but not read it, again. Chkdsk /f cant get into it either. I'll take it in and see what happens

Well from the sounds of it if anyone can recover your pictures its him. Keep us informed on the progress. Best of luck.

Steve said:
Well from the sounds of it if anyone can recover your pictures its him. Keep us informed on the progress. Best of luck.

Woo hoooo, just got a phone call, they've managed to recover about 24Gb of the 25 which was on the disk. :) Just for the record if there's anyone else up in this area in need of the same service try PCWarehouse in Inverness, back of the units opposite the college.

dod said:
Woo hoooo, just got a phone call, they've managed to recover about 24Gb of the 25 which was on the disk. :) Just for the record if there's anyone else up in this area in need of the same service try PCWarehouse in Inverness, back of the units opposite the college.

Let us know what he charges you matey, I have a dead hard drive that has some stuff I'd rather not have lost. Nothing vital but if I can get it back without breaking the bank it might be worth it.

dod said:

Thats great news dod, don't forget to back everything up this time just incase you are really unlucky :wink:

Steep said:
Let us know what he charges you matey, I have a dead hard drive that has some stuff I'd rather not have lost. Nothing vital but if I can get it back without breaking the bank it might be worth it.

Speaking to the guy who actually recovered the data I asked him how much it would be and he said probably 1 hour labour which is £47. Having said that we've got all our work stuff off him for the last 6 years and I buy most of my personal stuff there as well so you never know, he might be kind. Not too cheap at £47 but to get most stuff back is worth it, to me anyway.

he charged the full price, cant blame him really.

24.3GB recovered, problem is the file structure on the disk was trashed and the way the software works is that it creates numbered folders and dumps files into them as they get recovered. Looks like I've got about 300 unnamed folders with files to look through. Never mind, could have been worse :)

Good work on getting the data back.

Really, you didn't get charged /that/ much for the data recovery (relatively speaking), a client of mine managed to never backup their business transactions (before they became a client of mine, I might add!) and ended up paying somewhere around £80/GB for data recovery :O

Backups, backups, backups :)

Rob

Back