Oooooops!-thread name change -Why an AE1 costs 99p -AKA the Smelly Cam Thread!

lawrie29

Balloons! Yay!
Name
Lawrie
Edit My Images
Yes
After a late night ebay session, with los of random bids on lots of things, it appears I am now the proud owner of AE1 body for the princely sum of 99p+£3 delivery.

Looks like I need a lens and some of that film stuff that goes in it.......

Seeing as this was an impulse purchase, with no research (I was the only bidder, and really didn't expect to win) could anyone tell me what kind of lens I need to put in the front of it please?!?

Last edited:
Ebay > Canon FD Lens > Find something you like the price and focal length of > Google to see if it's any good

Seems to work okay for most other things :)

Thanks, I just needed to know what lens fitting it took, so I need Canon FD fit.

I am thinking of going for the classic 50mm.....though maybe something wider.

Well before buying a lens I'd check that everything is working.....that's a VG price. If it's ok you have a camera with a versatile mount in that you can buy Tamron and M42 adapters very cheap plus all those lovely FD (breech mount) and FDn (bayonet mount) lenses.

Well before buying a lens I'd check that everything is working.....that's a VG price. If it's ok you have a camera with a versatile mount in that you can buy Tamron and M42 adapters very cheap plus all those lovely FD (breech mount) and FDn (bayonet mount) lenses.

Good idea to check it works OK. The description (which I didn't pay too much attention too ) was : I am selling a Cannon AE-1 Program camera body. The front battery cover is missing although battery still stays in place. The rest of the camera is a bit scuffed and well used.

So it is not a minter by any stretch, but will be fun to play with anyway!

As for the rest of what you say, Kinda understand I can get an M42 adaptor and/or a Tamron adaptor to use those lenses, but the Breech Mount and Bayonet Mount part, I will need a bit more on. Obviously they are different len fittings, but would like to understand how they are different.

.............., Kinda understand I can get an M42 adaptor and/or a Tamron adaptor to use those lenses,

but the Breech Mount and Bayonet Mount part, I will need a bit more on. Obviously they are different len fittings, but would like to understand how they are different.

I suggest you dont complicate matters by buying adapters to fit ''other'' make lenses as the Canon ones are really cheap anyway

the AE-1 has a mount called the ''F''

the Breechmount B/L fit by placing the lens against the body and rotating a chrome 'locking' ring

the next version was the FDnew or FDn - the lens is placed into the mount - and the whole lens is turned until a 'locking' button engages

I have
28mm FDn
35mm FD B/L S.C........£15 on eBay..:LOL:
50mm FD B/L S.C.
35-70mm f4......dont buy the f3.5/4.5 version
135mm f3.5 integral hood
70-210 f4

all are on eBay between 20-40£

the B/L take 55mm filters and the FDn take 52mm filters
so I recommend you look for FDn lenses

also the lens hoods for the B/L are rare/pricey

if you buy a 50mm FD [or FDn lens] - I have a spare original lens hood you can have for either one...free
it locks onto the lens front with little plastic inserts - these are worn down but there's a DIY fix ..i can tell you about

however the filters are usually double threaded - meaning you can use a 52 or 55mm non-original screw-in hood

have a look at www.Ffordes.com in Scotland - bit pricey but has photos to compare

:welcome: to film

Last edited:
standard 50mm 1.8 FDn on eBay ....BIN........''link''

but should be able to bid on one cheaper..!

Last edited:
Hi John

(Sorry OP, a tad off topic)..Can you get FD -EF/EF-s adapters?

Cheers...Russ

I think so - but maybe your metering wont work...:shrug:

i am a Nikon DSLR man..:LOL: [only Canon with film] so dont really know

checkout eBay as the sellers usually put in a good explanation

also post a question up in Basics - always a good response there

Russel, just sent a pm regarding your question sir.

Lawrie, good find if its working... I paid a bit more than that for my ae1, but its more or less minty and I absolutely love it.

Hi John

(Sorry OP, a tad off topic)

Can you get FD -EF/EF-s adapters?

Cheers

Russ

Yes you can, but it's not a great solution.

There are two types.

One is a plain mechanical adaptor. It basically just fastens the fd lens onto a EF camera. No AF (obviously) and the lens will not focus to infinity. They are good for macro work though, as there's no additional glass, the image is not compromised.

The other type has an additional lens, and works as a kind of small teleconverter. On the upside, the lens WILL focus to infinity. On the downside, the additional lens will compromise IQ a little. It also (in the case of the one I've got at least) works as a 1.2x teleconverter, turning a 50mm f1.8 lens into a 60mm f2.5(ish) lens.

All things considered, unless you "happen" to have something like a FDn 1.2L 50mm or similar, I'd keep the FD lenses for the A and F series bodies. :shrug:

I think so - but maybe your metering wont work...:shrug:

i am a Nikon DSLR man..:LOL: [only Canon with film] so dont really know

checkout eBay as the sellers usually put in a good explanation

also post a question up in Basics - always a good response there

Thanks for replying John, I think Mads has just answered my question via PM, ...confirmed by mark below (y)

Russel, just sent a pm regarding your question sir.

Lawrie, good find if its working... I paid a bit more than that for my ae1, but its more or less minty and I absolutely love it.

Thanks Mads, you're a star (y):clap:

There are two types.

One is a plain mechanical adaptor. It basically just fastens the fd lens onto a EF camera. No AF (obviously) and the lens will not focus to infinity. They are good for macro work though, as there's no additional glass, the image is not compromised.

The other type has an additional lens, and works as a kind of small teleconverter. On the upside, the lens WILL focus to infinity. On the downside, the additional lens will compromise IQ a little. It also (in the case of the one I've got at least) works as a 1.2x teleconverter, turning a 50mm f1.8 lens into a 60mm f2.5(ish) lens.

All things considered, unless you "happen" to have something like a FDn 1.2L 50mm or similar, I'd keep the FD lenses for the A and F series bodies. :shrug:

Thanks for the extra info Mark (y):clap:

Sorry again Lawrie for pinching a bit of your thread :muted:

Thanks, I just needed to know what lens fitting it took, so I need Canon FD fit.

I am thinking of going for the classic 50mm.....though maybe something wider.

Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/2.8 lenses are very easy to come by and cheap, especially the 50mm as it was the standard 'kit' lens on just about every Canon FD camera sold.

24mm models (principally the f/2.8) seem quite a bit rarer and more pricey. At 35mm, you're looking at the f/3.5 version for cheapness.

Beyond that you're getting into more exotic territory for wide primes, like the 17mm f/4 (though I picked one up for £89 last year).

Last edited:

There are two types.

Mark .. I thought it was going the other way (using FD lens on EF mount ) that you need the glass for infinity :shrug:

EDIT > or maybe I have the question wrong - I am assuming the want to use ef lenses on the camera of the OP

Last edited:
Mark .. I thought it was going the other way (using FD lens on EF mount ) that you need the glass for infinity :shrug:

EDIT > or maybe I have the question wrong - I am assuming the want to use ef lenses on the camera of the OP

That's what I was saying.

As far as using EF lenses on a FD mount camera - it's a non-starter - you can't control the aperture of the lens. There are kludges, like setting an aperture on a EF camera, then pressing DOF preview and removing the lens while still holding DOF down, but it's just a stooopid way of working :LOL: so much so, I'm not aware of any adaptors available :shrug:

AE-1 for a £1, how???????

Using your ears and eyes and perseverance or/and luck...that's how I've got my bargains ;)
My entry into the FD system was about 2-3 years ago:- FTb + 50mm f1.8, + !35mm f3.5, + 28mm f3.5 all breech lock, + filters, + magnifying lenses...all for £10 (it was on gumtree and no one wanted it for £20 :eek: ). The camera needed a service, I just oiled the bottom bits myself but not good enough as I ruined the camera when winding on, after using it a while. :bang:

FTb with FD 28mm lens very useful manual camera esp for night shots:-
pubnight900px.jpg

Last edited:
AE-1 for a £1, how???????

Was delivered today. The battery compartment case is broken, but was aware of that. The body has corrosion on it, is covered in dirt, the light seals seam to be starting to come away, the mechanism is not too smooth, it has dents in it and it SMELLS!!

So all in, not the best £1 ever spent.

Anyhow, I shall try and clean it up a bit then flog it on as I have a much much nicer OM-10 to play with.

So if anyone wants a not very good example of an AE-1..........

Sorry to hear you have problems with your AE-1. Mine is perfect, I sealed it 'cause it had problems with leaking light by buying a kit on eBay. I must say that Canon AE-1 it's a very good camera, the lenses are good and not that expensive.

I recommend you try another AE-1, but from now on read the description of the product before bidding ;D

Good luck!

I've had a smelly camera too! It was unusable for a few weeks until it all wore off, I could'nt stand it! It was an old camera I got off evilbay aswell.

Back