Opening files from an external HD on a MAC

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
it depends on the format of the drive, it would need to be MS-DOS (FAT32) to work with OSX and Windows

it depends on the format of the drive, it would need to be MS-DOS (FAT32) to work with OSX and Windows

FWIW, there's a 4GB file size limit on FAT32, which won't affect your photographs, but it might if you try to put video on the disk.

actually OSX can read NTFS, if just cannot write back without an app.

Yes it can.

Native read/write support since 10.6, just needs enabling.

First, uninstall NTFS-3G, Paragon or whatever else if you're using an app.

Then

1. In Terminal, type diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name, where volume_name is the name of the NTFS volume. From the output, copy the Volume UUID value to the clipboard.
2. Back up /etc/fstab if you have it; it shouldn't be there in a default install.
3. Type sudo nano /etc/fstab.
4. In the editor, type UUID=, then paste the UUID number you copied from the clipboard. Type a Space, then type none ntfs rw. The final line should look like this: UUID=123-456-789 none ntfs rw, where 123-456-789 is the UUID you copied in the first step.
5. Repeat the above steps for any other NTFS drives/partitions you have.
6. Save the file and quit nano (Control-X, Y, Enter), then restart your system.

After rebooting, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works with both 32- and 64-bit kernels.

Job done...

Or, just found that there's an app to do it for you

Clicky Here

Last edited:
Yes it can.

Native read/write support since 10.6, just needs enabling.

First, uninstall NTFS-3G, Paragon or whatever else if you're using an app.

Then

1. In Terminal, type diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name, where volume_name is the name of the NTFS volume. From the output, copy the Volume UUID value to the clipboard.
2. Back up /etc/fstab if you have it; it shouldn't be there in a default install.
3. Type sudo nano /etc/fstab.
4. In the editor, type UUID=, then paste the UUID number you copied from the clipboard. Type a Space, then type none ntfs rw. The final line should look like this: UUID=123-456-789 none ntfs rw, where 123-456-789 is the UUID you copied in the first step.
5. Repeat the above steps for any other NTFS drives/partitions you have.
6. Save the file and quit nano (Control-X, Y, Enter), then restart your system.

After rebooting, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works with both 32- and 64-bit kernels.

Job done...

Or, just found that there's an app to do it for you

Clicky Here

i was unaware of that thanks for the info

I'll second neil's :whistle:

Very useful bit of info and I'd never seen it either ;)

I had a pain shifting files between Mac & Win computers before I set them up with shared drives, http://www.dropbox.com/ is also an easy way to sync files between computers, free 2 Gb account.

Back