Opinions on backgrounds please

As I always say, I am not an expert on this sort of photography. Both are very nice, but for me it has to be the #2 as it is not so bright (y)

Thanks. I just don't know what I prefer, he is actually the same exposure on both, just the background is edited differently. And I feel the ultra white washes him out a bit, but I like the bright background lol.

Thanks. I just don't know what I prefer, he is actually the same exposure on both, just the background is edited differently. And I feel the ultra white washes him out a bit, but I like the bright background lol.

It is a tricky one to pick as both are good imo, hope some one comes along and says :)

Image#2 is more natural, but without your frame the BG will look weird on a pure white background (like TP pages for example)
Which do you prefer? Where are you showing the final edit?

What's the final destination of the image - print & frame or just digital? If P&F then I'd probably stick to white, but digital then I'd choose the second image.

I guess the answer depends on if its from a technical or artistic perspective and like the answer to all artistic questions its personal choice and mine is no 2 .
If its a tecnical answer ive got no idea though im hoping one day to be more enlightened on this aspect of photography.

Number 2 for me, or merge both, darker at the top getting lighter at the bottom.
The child being lighter.
17918-1490275062-734c72c960add330a74a285e4cf73ee8.jpg

Rhodese.

I guess the answer depends on if its from a technical or artistic perspective and like the answer to all artistic questions its personal choice and mine is no 2 .
If its a tecnical answer ive got no idea though im hoping one day to be more enlightened on this aspect of photography.

Thanks, I asked on a group on Facebook, and 99% said darker. So I would assume this is more appealing whether it is technically correct or not lol

Number 2 for me, or merge both, darker at the top getting lighter at the bottom.
The child being lighter.
17918-1490275062-734c72c960add330a74a285e4cf73ee8.jpg

Rhodese.

Ooh I like that actually!

No 2 for me as well! The reason being that the relatively stark contrast of the first image leads to disassociation with the background - i.e. almost as if the image has been dropped onto a white background in photoshop. The second image background matches the general colour hue and intensity of the subject.

Last edited:
No 2 for me as well! The reason being that the relatively stark contrast of the first image leads to disassociation with the background - i.e. almost as if the image has been dropped onto a white background in photoshop. The second image background matches the general colour hue and intensity of the subject.

Thanks Gareth appreciate your feedback

To me second one is better than the first one. Too much white sometimes make the photo look a bit unnatural.

No2 :)

Easier on the eyes and compliments the hair colour.

Personally I think it is your choice . I would go for a darker background.

:agree: for a few reasons

1 - getting a proper white background isn't easy and pretending you had one by 'mopping' it and the floor makes it look obvious you didn't have one

2 - when I had a mini studio and used to do this a lot 10 years ago it was already a bit passed its best as an idea, now it looks positively lame

3 - a darker grey, brown, mottled background is more classy looking and will especially suit a child with blond hair, and if you can lean it back a bit you get a natural gradient too

4 - darker is easier :)

Dave

Back