Opinions on the Nikon MB-D12 Battery Grip

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I have been reading varying reviews on the MB-D12 battery grip for the D810, so I need some real world opinions from you guys on here, the biggest bone of contention is the price, however it does appear Nikon of late seem to be taking the pee with pricing of battery grips in general, so basically is it worth shelling out for, or is their another 3rd party one out there which will be just as good, bearing in mind I like my grips and it will stay on the D810 most of the time when I get it shortly :D

I got two D810; I my big paws, the MB-D12 battery grip
is a must on each of them. I use mines with great plea-
sure and no drawbacks. Got for it confidently!

I got two D810; I my big paws, the MB-D12 battery grip
is a must on each of them. I use mines with great plea-
sure and no drawbacks. Got for it confidently!

Thanks for the reply Kodiak, do you find they are a good fit as one of the things I read is they tend to rattle a bit, not sure if that's the tray inside though, and another thing was the joystick was a bit small and flimsy, hence me wondering about just getting a 3rd part one at the fraction of the cost

do you find they are a good fit as one of the things I read is they tend to rattle a bit, not sure if that's the tray inside though,
The thread of the mounting screw is too wide and it
tends to losen a bit. I keep an eye on it… no problem.
another thing was the joystick was a bit small and flimsy
I read about that but it never happened to me and do
not understand how can anyone have problem with it.
wondering about just getting a 3rd part one at the fraction of the cost
… never an option for me in my operations.

Reactions: TG.
I have the grip and the D810 feels like a toy now without it. Which is funny because I had a D7k before with a grip and now that feels like a toy even with the grip.

I recently went to venice and could go out all day with just the camera and a lens. Knowing I wouldn't run out of power. Even doing loads of LE shots at the end of the day. Actually I think over the 4 days I only drained 1 battery completely.

I'd have a grip with any camera now. It just seems to balance the camera. Yes it adds to the weight but it fits so much nicer in my hands.

Reactions: TG.
Yes I must admit I've never had a camera without a grip, and I've never used a 3rd party one, I've always been of the mind why spend a small fortune on a camera and compliment it with something cheap, good to hear some good positive comments about the MB-D12 then, I still think Nikon are now really taking the PI$$ though with their recent range of grips, although they know they can get away with it.

Thanks very much for the comments :)

large hands makes holding a D500 difficult for me .. got the grip and fell in love with it straight away .. lot of money but very happy with mine

I guess with all add on grips you need to make sure the connection is true (ie no dust or anything as this can affect the function of the grip

Mine doesn't leave my D800 unless I'm really pushed for space on holiday etc. I love the handling with one fitted [and a fps boost in DX mode running AAs for the D800]. Had a third party grip back in my Canon days and it felt nasty compared to the camera, have stuck with the branded variety ever since, even if they are considerably more expensive.

Mine doesn't leave my D800 unless I'm really pushed for space on holiday etc. I love the handling with one fitted [and a fps boost in DX mode running AAs for the D800]. Had a third party grip back in my Canon days and it felt nasty compared to the camera, have stuck with the branded variety ever since, even if they are considerably more expensive.
What do you do about the battery in the camera and recharging it. Does it come off for that?

What do you do about the battery in the camera and recharging it. Does it come off for that?

Forget it and go for the big battery the EN-EL18 needs BL-5 cover, if that runs out of power you are taking too many images

Not used a Nikon without the genuine grip for about 10 years so that will be at least 5 different grips

Mike

Forget it and go for the big battery the EN-EL18 needs BL-5 cover, if that runs out of power you are taking too many images

Yeah, I do that with my D300 [EN-EL4 and MH-22 charger], but I drew the line at the cost of the battery/charger combo for the EN-EL18. I usually just use another EN-EL15 and use the AAs only occasionally if the fps are an issue.

Last edited:
Back