Beginner Opinions wanted please

Edit My Images
No
Greetings all

I'm after your honest opinions please, I currently shoot aA77 and 70-200 F2.8 and although I get good results for my needs in decent lighting (although the keeper rate is not brilliant due to the A77 autofocus system I believe ) when the light is poor the results are dreadful at anything over ISO 2000.

So I think it's time to upgrade my gear, I mainly shoot Rugby League and Roller Derby - I'm only talking amateur level rugby here with shocking lights and the Roller Derby is always in poorly lit sports halls or similar - I can't decide between a Nikon D750 or a Canon 7D mk2. The 7d frame rate appeals as does the autofocus system but the D750's ISO performance looks so much better than the 7D and the group autofocus looks superb although the fram rate leaves me thinking I may want more.

Will initially start with OEM 70-200 f2.8 glass whatever way I go.

All opinions and user experience would be greatly appreciated - I much prefer to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak rather than magazine reviews.

Cheers

Good luck finding someone who has used both the Nikon D750 and a Canon 7D mk2.in low light situations.... Because without then all you will get is owners of either saying how good they are and be non the wiser...

Thanks Kipax I feel you are right, just thought this forum was my best chance of finding someone who had used both - either would do.

Simon - read that yesterday ta, but there is nothing better than hearing opinions from actual users in real world situations.

Cheers

the D750 is streets and streets ahead of the 7DMKII for what you want to use it for, OK the 7D is a crop but you could stick a TC 1.4x on the D750 and even shooting at F/4 it will still kill the 7DII for AF speed, accuracy and the high ISO will still be a full 1 stop better in low light

I shot pro rugby League for years with a D3S and if i ever went back pro i would even choose the D750 over the D3S

Seriously there is simply no comparisson between the 7d and the D750

Thanks Gary, your pictures always impressed me.

D750 it is then - do you happen to know if the kit 28-120 f4 is any good or is that a stupid question ?

Thanks Gary, your pictures always impressed me.

D750 it is then - do you happen to know if the kit 28-120 f4 is any good or is that a stupid question ?

haha gary will knock canon at every opportunity he gets no matter what the camera is.... you can have the bestest camera ever made in the world and if its got canon on the side then its probably rubish haha... HOWEVER he wouldnt give serious advise on a bias so if gary says the d750 is better than it probably is :)

Given what you're trying to shoot, I'd opt for a D750 but the problem is that you are comparing chickens and eggs.

The 7DII is a crop camera and it's Nikon equivalent is a D7200.
The D750 is full frame and its nearest Canon equivalent is the 5DIII, which sits part way between it and a D810.

For low light I'd always opt for full frame, so your choice now is down to which system you want.

That can only be decided by budget and ergonomics. Go in to a shop and pick up both cameras to get the feel of them.
That should give you your answer.

Toggerman - average 6400 I would say, Sony autofocus struggles in low light and the noise is terrible.

DemitLion - I realise the 7DII is a crop but when I initially started searching for replacements everyone raved about the 7D as a sport camera - I have no brand preference at all, budget obviously as low as possible for amazing gear :)

Cheers

haha gary will knock canon at every opportunity he gets no matter what the camera is.... you can have the bestest camera ever made in the world and if its got canon on the side then its probably rubish haha... HOWEVER he wouldnt give serious advise on a bias so if gary says the d750 is better than it probably is :)
No i wouldnt, dont forget ive been a Canon user twice, nly switched because of infamous AF troubles, simple fact is for low light sport the D750 is excellent if youre happy with the 6.5fps, the AF is as good as anything on the planet and even better in low light, its about a quarter of a stop behind the D3S in low light but actually better if you downsize to the same 12mp size

Canon simply cant touch it in the high ISO stakes and that includes the 5D3 and 1DX

7DII 1082
5DMK3 2193
1DX 2786
D750 2956
D4 2965
D4S 2965
D3S 3253

These are from snapsort but all review type sites give the same results for high ISO, you also need to factor in how well the AF works and tracks in low light and the D750 again is superb, better than my old D3S's

Thanks Gary - purchase is budget limited but the saving on the kit lens as a bundle looks a good deal, my local shop has it for £1750 or I could go the gray route but that's a whole new kettle of fish.

70-200 will just buy separately methinks.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary - purchase is budget limited but the saving on the kit lens as a bundle looks a good deal, my local shop has it for £1750 or I could go the gray route but that's a whole new kettle of fish.

70-200 will just buy separately methinks.
Go with Panamoz, its just a tad over £1000 for the D750

I went from the a700 minolta/sony glass to nikon d3s/d3

af (especial with things coming straight towards you is spot on. Anything out of focus is my fault, and not the camera) and high iso are light years in difference (pretty damn fine camera d3s)

I chose Nikon, as the feel, set out, menu seems similar to the Sony/Minolta, as wells as at the time the d3s was the best around. I shoot mainly rugby, cricket as well lots of other sport at all levels.

Am looking to get a nikon d750 at same time soon, if no 2nd hand d4s`s pop up.

To glass. that is a different story. The old minolta 80-200 hs and 300 hs are super lens. Built in the early 90s and would compare with anything today. Wish I still had them.

Last edited:
Cheers Gary good to know

Pope - yea its the autofocus and iso performance in low light that I'm struggling with - in good light the A77 is very good.

Cheers Gary good to know

Pope - yea its the autofocus and iso performance in low light that I'm struggling with - in good light the A77 is very good.
Yep thats was my problem too. I think the sony sensors are optimist for low iso/ dynamic range.
You wont look back with a nikon(y)

Fingers crossed I won't - just wondering how much use if any I would get out of the 28-128 f4 as I love a bargain and its about £200 cheaper if bought as a kit.

Cheers

Never thought of that !

I'm considering what to do with my Sony kit - all immaculate and boxed, cant get access to the classifieds yet but they do seem a good option to advertise rather than EBay

Thanks for all the advice - went for the D750 with the 24-120f4 kit lens and a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 vr2. Totally blown away with the focus performance and accusation speed even in low light - lack of noise in high ISO shots is incredible.

Back