Options for portable changing room?

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
What are my options for a portable changing room? I am picturing some sort of metal frame with a curtain on wheels but don't know if that type of thing exists. I know you can get those camping popup toilet tent things but they're too small and not very professional looking.

When shooting on location and not privacy is
readily available, we use the cars and truck
to achieve this.

Maybe a gazebo with sidewalls? Otherwise a changing/privacy screen is what you're describing, they definitely exist but in not sure how portable they are off-the-shelf if you just want to buy something in. Wouldn't be hard to design and make something more portable.

I've used a large reflector before as a privacy screen in the past . Set up in the right location and using natural barriers such as trees , hedges and the like as extra sides it works quite well .

I've used a large reflector before as a privacy screen in the past . Set up in the right location and using natural barriers such as trees , hedges and the like as extra sides it works quite well .
That's exactly what I do, big reflector with the model in a suitable corner so that her modesty is is screened, I've never had any complaints.

I was looking for something to go into an open studio, something that could be moved around as necessary.

I was looking for something to go into an open studio, something that could be moved around as necessary.
Relevant details help you get a better answer more quickly..

.. just try putting "changing screen" into Google, you'll probably get bored after the first 1/4-million results, but you should find something suitable very quickly ;)

Have a look at camping toilet/changing tents, sounds like just the type of thing your after as long as your not wanting anything too big.

To be honest I think I'm going to have something custom made. It needs to look professional and I don't think those camping ones do. The camping ones are also very small and won't be big enough for a parent to go and dress a child or for models to put on a dress.

How about a Japanese or Victorian style screen. Could double as a backdrop or prop.

Yes really. They may be good for some purposes but they are not going to work for me. It's OK if they're being used in a corner or next to a wall but in the middle of a studio I would need to use 2 or 3 to create an enclosure and they're also easily knocked over by children.

I thought you wanted something portable. So something semi permanent at a studio?

I thought you wanted something portable. So something semi permanent at a studio?
That was my understanding too. I guess our error was in trying to answer the question as asked rather than getting out the psychic hat to figure out the question intended.
What are my options for a portable changing room? I am picturing some sort of metal frame with a curtain on wheels but don't know if that type of thing exists.
If it does not need to be portable/temporary/collapsible, then some simple studwork and board would create a semi-permanent installation. It could even be on casters/wheels.

That was my understanding too. I guess our error was in trying to answer the question as asked rather than getting out the psychic hat to figure out the question intended.

Are you unable to answer a question or give advice without the sarcastic attitude? I posted a question in the 'studio' section of the forum asking for suggestions of a portable changing room and explicitly mentioned that camping toilet tents aren't going to do the job. I also mentioned that I had something on wheels in mind.

If this wasn't clear enough for you, either politely ask me for clarification or take your remarks elsewhere.

Don't know what your budget it, but have you considered a large Cubelite?

Ah - just saw your post about wheels... ignore my suggestion, that looks cool.

No width dimensions I can see on that folding room divider (aka screen...). Looks like it's about 1/5th of the height so approximately 15" per panel - not huge when shaped into a pentagon.

I reckon a couple of 8x4s and some hinges in a corner of the studio would be a better bet and probably cheaper than those screens room dividers.

Just had a thought.

A couple of V flats on the bicycle stands would be ideal, obviously multi purpose:
Reflector
Flag
Background
Changing room.

If it's not to be fully portable/pop-up it sounds like a job for a tinker tubes style build. You could make a frame from pvc tubing and get someone local to make a curtain to go around it, should be easy enough to add cators if needed. It could also double as a massive softbox if you got ripstop nylon panels made for it as well.

Just had a thought.

A couple of V flats on the bicycle stands would be ideal, obviously multi purpose:
Reflector
Flag
Background
Changing room.

Exactly what I have used in the past, works well. :plus1:

Back