Organising Lightroom

JP6

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been done to death, but how do you organise your Lightroom and file structure?

At the moment I just have folders in my photo folder, such as Photos/Pets or Photos/Maldives '09 etc. But I'd like to re-organise it so it's organised into sub-folders by date and place. So for example 2009/Month/Event or something like that.

Thanks in advance.

You can create the new folders within Lightroom, then move them in Lightroom. Or if you move them outside Lightroom you can refind them.

As long as you tell Lightroom where the images are then you get to keep all the processing / tagging / etc.
I fond the easiest way is to move them using Lightroom; one operation, job done.

I have my images structured by category then year then a folder with the date and location.
e.g. Scotland / 2009 / 2009-08-22 Glenuig
e.g. Wales / 2009 / 2009-06-27 Newborough
The tricky bit is picking the categories so that you don't end up with a huge number of folders inside one year - Lightroom copes, I can't.

File structure is by date taken

year / month / day

Everything gets tagged and I use smart collections for everything else.

To me the trick is to keep the folder structure simple, and then use the tags, metadata etc to create all the sub structures without actually moving any files. No need to over complicate things by having folders for activities or locations, let lightroom do the work!

It's much easier that way.

Thanks for the help :)

I've now re-done it all so it is Event/Year/Date and when importing the photos i've had them renamed as YYYYMMDD-photo number and added keywords to them in LR so I can make smart collections.

Much more organised now :)

Back