Other old stuff

Name
.... Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
One of the things I enjoy about film photography is the opportunity to use old cameras that I could never have afforded new, but are now within reach.

There is something special about the craftmanship, quality and design of these old cameras that I find attractive. My view, that I often see repeated on this forum, is that these old cameras should be used and not just kept in glass cases.

I'm sure I am not the only forum member who applies this to other everyday items of use. I used to drive classic cars before my disability changed things. I always write with a fountain pen and my preference is for the beautiful Conway Stewart pens made in the 30s and 40s. I also listen to vinyl and although the hifi system is a bit of a mish mash of 70s and 80s separates, it has a wondeful Thorens turntable.

So what (if any) other old/classic/vintage/antique items do forum members regularly use in preference to modern items? I dont mean items that are collected as antiques to look at, but items that are in everyday use.

I regularly write with a fountain pen, although it's a modern Parker. Didn't want to mess around with ink wells, and it's incredibly confusing with all the different pens and systems... so I keep it simple, and that's just fine with me. If anyone knows of a decent guide, or how to use modern Parker ink cartridges in older pens, I'd be very interested to know.

I have a turntable and vinyl, but I don't use it much - space is at a premium, and I can't afford to have stacks and stacks of records sadly. A few favourites, and that's it.

If something still works and doesn't become a PITA I'll still use it even if I bought it the late 50s.....and still sometimes use my Pentax S3 bought in 1961.

My legs are definitely old school....and probably analogue as well.

I also use a fountain pen but only a modern cheap cartridge one because I find it more pleasant to write with than a ball point.

I regularly ride my 1986 BMW K100RS, though that's more because it's a cheap commuter bike than any desire to ride vintage machinery (and I appreciate that under 30 years old hardly makes it vintage).

I regularly write with a fountain pen, although it's a modern Parker. Didn't want to mess around with ink wells, and it's incredibly confusing with all the different pens and systems... so I keep it simple, and that's just fine with me. If anyone knows of a decent guide, or how to use modern Parker ink cartridges in older pens, I'd be very interested to know.

I have a turntable and vinyl, but I don't use it much - space is at a premium, and I can't afford to have stacks and stacks of records sadly. A few favourites, and that's it.

Not sure if its posible to convert old pens to use cartridges...probably cost more than the cost of a pen so not worth it. I use a bottle of ink as all the old pens I have use internal ink sacs with a pump handle in the barrel of the pen. It's tricker to refill than a cartridge, but easier then loading a film in my old Leica III :)

I drive a 1992 Eunos Roadster, my mobile has no touch screen or any fancy mumbo jumbo, I like engineering without the initials CNC and if it were up to me would reintroduce steam to the mainlines.

I too write with fountain pens, although I prefer the cheapo modern Parker I was bought a couple of years ago to the nib of my old Montblanc. A fountain pen is surely at its most satisfying when it is being used on a cheque or on other good quality, heavy weight paper.

Which leads onto a contrast; I have always loved books but these days I only go for paper publications if the words aren't available online - and that definitely holds for newspapers and journals!

ALL modern cars are unsatisfying to drive, without exception! The 21st Century's obsession with CO2 emissions and the taxing thereof has meant that all cars have electric power steering that simply can't convey any responsive feeling from their stupidly oversized tyres! My young daughter's old Megane convertible has more feel from its hydraulic PAS! I have a pre-war Derby Bentley that is not usable everyday but my Issigonis Mini is just superb around London - no power steering at all to dilute its go-kart responses and tiny to manoeuvre and endearing enough that other traffic tends to smile and let you out in front of them! A perfect example of old being better than new for modern urban use!

Cameras - I love occasionally using our old Kodak Retina rangefinder and Retinette both of which have clicky metal controls. In large part, the appeal of my Fuji X10 is its retro styling ... which quite honestly means the only real reason for trading up to an X20 would be its even more retro chromed appearance!

For preference I wear old fashioned gentlemen's shoes with renewable leather soles - though we're running out of craftsmen to renew them.

And finally I smoke a pipe which is old fashioned in itself. So that a couple of years ago, a little boy hissed 'sotto voce' to his father "Look Daddy, an old fashioned smoker!" :LOL:
My favourite pipe is an 80 year old Dunhill whose briar bowl smokes better than my second favourite - a 30 year old Savinelli - and much better than my modern Milleville or Peterson or Parker!

Blimey, fountain pens 'r' us eh? Me too! Currently a great big Rotring Core. One in my desk at work and another at home.
I used to collect and shoot historic military training rifles so mostly pre WWII. Lots of lovely oiled wood, properly engineered metalworks and a delight to shoot.
Becausme these were live-firing rather than deactivated ornaments they had to be kept on a firearms certificate and kept in properly secured storage. What tempted me towards film cameras was the relative delight of being able to use and display these cameras without having to lock them away, take them to designated places to use them and so on. (Just imagine if you could only shoot film at your camera club premises: see what I mean?)
Clothing? Well, if you count bowties, knee breeches and sensible leather Brogues and Oxfords (though not all at the same time) as "old style" then that's me too.

Oh dear a pattern emerging here, Waterman, Mont Blanc and Parker Fountain Pens, Ox Blood Brogues and Black Brogues, Shirts that require cufflinks and I really had better stop there:LOL:

Hmmm,

• Selection of fountain pens (not the new fangled cartridge types) ...................check
  • Leather Oxford Brogues..............................check
  • Wrist watches that require winding and servicing rather than a battery...........check
  • 1954 Ariel Red Hunter in the garage................check

• F & C = fogey and crusty..................check

and long may it last :):)

I'd love to use fountain pens, but being left-handed, I smudge everything I write! If I could afford two motorbikes, I'd have a classic Enfield or an old 70's Honda. Older bikes are beautiful things, but don't quite have the reliability of my current CBR.

Compared to you lot I am a regular techno whore! I adore my iPod and iPhone. Read newspapers digitally. Read books on a kindle!

I do make some concessions though! Guitars have to be acoustic and I only write in moleskine notebooks. Spend more on notebooks than I spend on photography!

Does a 70's Goblin Teasmade count? It doesn't get used since I went to Nights only but I loved being woken up by the alarm (as much as one can) knowing that my first cuppa was ready to just pour :)

Does a 70's Goblin Teasmade count? It doesn't get used since I went to Nights only but I loved being woken up by the alarm (as much as one can) knowing that my first cuppa was ready to just pour :)

I had one of those. I never woke to the alarm but 5 minutes earlier to the kettle boiling which, when it was about 3 feet from your ear, sounded like a jet engine taking off :)

I had one of those. I never woke to the alarm but 5 minutes earlier to the kettle boiling which, when it was about 3 feet from your ear, sounded like a jet engine taking off :)

And in Suffolk that could be one of many things from a Blackburn Buccaneer to an SR-71 Blackbird.

Sub-thread: name all the jets past and present which have flown out of air bases in Suffolk? All I think we're left with now are USAF KC-135, KC-10 and F15. It's very quiet up there.....:thinking:

And finally I smoke a pipe which is old fashioned in itself. So that a couple of years ago, a little boy hissed 'sotto voce' to his father "Look Daddy, an old fashioned smoker!" :LOL:
My favourite pipe is an 80 year old Dunhill whose briar bowl smokes better than my second favourite - a 30 year old Savinelli - and much better than my modern Milleville or Peterson or Parker!

Ah the good old days when you could go to the Dunhill or house of Bewley (IIRC that was the name or similar) shop and choose from stacks of different tobacco....for a pipe

Ummm..

Ford Cortinas, 12 inch picture disks, Pernod & Black or Malibu & Coke.
Pastel Chinos and CB radios.....lol

10 - 4 rubber duck

I have all these items.....except a mk3 Cortina, cos there is non

Interesting correlation between film users and fountain pen users...wasn't expecting that.

How funny, I still write with fountain pens (one of which was an 18th birthday pressie) my watch needs no battery, my car has triple Weber carburettors (and is on a historical tax disc) my turntable is quietly turning in the background (it’s on permanently to keep warm) and I listen to valve amps. Even now I buy mostly vinyl. I don’t own a kindle and still buy books and magazines.

Now I have typed it out like that I feel quite old (and I am not yet 50……)

Mark

Technophobes the lot of you......:LOL:

I have a Kindle, an I-pod, a flat screen tele and I barely ever write anything, typing is the way forward.

My only nod toward the past is my film cameras, although I would love a proper old Morgan.

Andy

Here's a link that posters to this thread might find interesting:

http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/

I particularly agree with the article on the ridiculous price and design of modern razor blades. They look more like Yagi antennae than shaving implements and I have reverted to old fashioned blades in a Gillette safety razor.

The main trouble with old stuff is that we need the internet to locate a source of spares. In this way I have managed to find new bearings for my 20 year old washing machine and a new cartridge for my Rega Planar 3 turntable. The leaky Parker Duofold is awaiting attention and is therefore suitable for in house use but not alas safe for the shirt (Stephens Brothers naturally) pocket.

Toodle pip, Abyssinia!

I do like my safety razor. You can get everything you need to get a proper shave from boots, but much like their film selection, it's limited.

Last edited:
I do like my safety razor. You can get everything you need to get a proper shave from boots, but much like their film selection, it's limited.

Poundland sell a pack of Gillette or Wilkinson, two blade razors IIRC eight in the pack...does me although I must admit the three blade razors my wife uses on her legs are better.
Interesting in how you can get a longer life out of your razors i.e. resharpening:- one guy strokes the razor in the reverse direction on his forearm, and another does the same thing on denim jeans. I've tried the forearm one, but haven't made up my mind yet.

A double edge safety razor is a different beast from the big name disposables, much better shave once you get the hang of if. It's the opposite of cartridge razors, a good handle can cost between 20 and 100 pound, up. But a fivers worth of blades can last a year, buy n bulk and 50 quid would probably last the rest of your life depending on how often you shave.

Double edge safety razor for me too.....cannot get on with modern stuff and what's with this 4 blades for a closer shave??...Wilkinsons sword double edge blades are more than close enough thank you, ....I wish to keep some skin on my face :D

My old faithful shaving brush is sadly gettiing old ( and thin on top! :D:D)......Does anyone have any suggestions for a GOOD replacement.

Tbh I don't know what make this one is , however it is badger hair and has served me extremely well since I received it on my 21st birthday.....24 years ago!!!

It will be sad to say goodbye to it!

Asda aerosol can shaving foam for 26p is good...my wife even uses it on her legs :)

Asda aerosol can shaving foam for 26p is good...my wife even uses it on her legs :)

I tried a product like that years ago...did little to make my shaving comfortable and left my skin really dry.

The whole idea of brush and soap is to lift the hair follicals (spelling?!) and "soften" the bristles for a close, comfortable shave....takes a little time "preparing" but the end result is rewarding.

Perhaps there are much improved products on the market now, however i'm quite happy wth my present set up.

Maybe i'm just old fashioned?!!

Tbh I don't know what make this one is , however it is badger hair and has served me extremely well since I received it on my 21st birthday.....24 years ago!!!

It will be sad to say goodbye to it!

i have a feeling the market might be flooded with badger hair quite soon

The 21st Century's obsession with CO2 emissions and the taxing thereof has meant that all cars have electric power steering that simply can't convey any responsive feeling from their stupidly oversized tyres!

How does power steering reduce CO2 emissions?

Personally, I don't see why any cars need power steering. I have driven trucks without power steering and whilst it takes a bit of effort manouvering at low speed, it's not really a problem.

And now to add to this this thread, I listen to vinyl and 78 RPM shellac, I play my guitar through a 1970s WEM valve amplifier and my bicycle is a 1970s Hercules Balmoral with three speed hub gears.

Steve.

Last edited:
1965 MG Midget in the garage, which would be joined with a few other things if I had a bigger garage and lots of cash. Hi-fi is the big thing though, Sugden A48 and T48 amp and tuner. Quad 33/303 and FM3. Sugden T21 tuner. Thorens TD125 turntable. Leak TL12+ monoblocs (two of). Some old Sony stuff as well, and a Garrard 401 and SME 3009 in a cupboard waiting for me to build a plinth.

I assume old to be pre-1980, meaning anything made when I was a teenager.

As for pens, used a Parker fountain until mid-80s but it was falling to bits. Somebody bought me a Dunhill, but the Parker was always better. Now I seldom write other than scribbles.

Also carried on using a slide rule to the bitter end but in the end 3 sig-figs were no longer enough.

Funnily enough I prefer to write with a fountain pen as well and use an original Parker Sonnet that my Grandad left me.

How does power steering reduce CO2 emissions?

Personally, I don't see why any cars need power steering. I have driven trucks without power steering and whilst it takes a bit of effort manouvering at low speed, it's not really a problem.

And now to add to this this thread, I listen to vinyl and 78 RPM shellac, I play my guitar through a 1970s WEM valve amplifier and my bicycle is a 1970s Hercules Balmoral with three speed hub gears.

Steve.

Power steering is necessary if you're anything but a big strong man, I'm afraid. Especially bigger cars.

Record player - check
Valve amp - check
Old wharfedale speakers - check
1978 Knockando single malt - check
WW2 binoculars, windup clock, a handful of leatherbound books, got a fountain pen but I don't use it and I'm writing this while listening to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

God I'm an old fart and I'm only 21...

my dad has a bunch of old lathes and milling machines and tools that are pretty old.

lush do a shaving cream, its ok with a modern 23 bladed razer.

I'm left handed so fountain pens feel horrible, and I rarely write :-O

Nonsense. When I was learning to drive, hardly any cars had power steering.

Steve.

^^ WHS^^

A vehicle is only supposed to be steered when it is physically moving forward/backwards.....at least that what I was taught when learning to drive.

If it is done like this then the actual steering manouvere is not physically demanding.

Much as power steering has it's advantages, for many ( including myself at times!), it simply means they can turn from left lock to right lock whilst the vehicle remains stationary with relative ease.....I'm pretty sure that cannot do the steering column and other mechanisms much good can it??!

Last edited:
Back