Otters, Gavin Maxwell & Terry Nutkins RIP

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I know we had a Terry Nutkins RIP thread but thought I'd elaborate a little and chuck this into the 'talk nature' part of the forum as there may be a whole heap of younger folk out there who may like to learn a little more.

Sad news today that Nauturalist and TV presnter Terry Nutkins passed away aged just 66

I guess most folk will remember him for his time spent on TV with Johnny Morris in 'Animal Magic' and later 'The Really Wild Show' but for me he was always part of the whole 'Gavin Maxwell' story......

Author of 'Ring of Bright Water' Gavin Maxwell (1914 – 1969) became the legal guardian of Terry Nutkins who (aged 12) went to live and study with Maxwell (and the otters) at the remote cottage at Sandaig. To avoid public attention the location of Sandaig was always referred to as Camusfearna (bay of the Alders)

I'd happily tell the whole story of Gavin Maxwell, his books and the otters, one of which (Edal) was responsible for the loss of Terry Nutkins' fingers but Maxwell's story (a very troubled man) is more than I can sum up in a few words so I'll swipe from the web in italics.

Anyway - I had the pleasure of meeting Terry Nutkins a few years back at Glenelg (close to Sandaig) and whilst I've not been back to Sandaig or 'Camusfearna' since 2010 I've a few very crappy compact snaps from a dog walk we had down to the bay.

Loch Drabhaig and the house at Upper Sandaig, which was where Gavin Maxwell's friends Morag and Calum MacKinnon lived.

7952551022_48f6884cec.jpg

Kathleen Raine & the Curse of the Rowan Tree

Despite her representation in 'Ring of Bright Water' The curse of the rowan tree is almost the only part of the relationship acknowledged by Maxwell in his writings, apart from a photograph or two of Kathleen with Mijbil.

Kathleen Raine's relationship with Maxwell ended in 1956 when she indirectly caused the death of Mijbil. Raine held herself responsible not only for losing Mijbil but for a curse she had uttered shortly beforehand, frustrated by Maxwell's homosexuality: "Let Gavin suffer in this place as I am suffering now." Raine blamed herself thereafter for all Maxwell's misfortunes, beginning with Mijbil's death, the house fire in which Edal died and ending with the cancer that took Maxwell's life in 1969.

A couple of the bay looking pretty grim if I'm honest

7952530264_b6248e6c51.jpg

The burn (from the novel) behind the site of the house.

7952518102_83e8883c2b.jpg

The bridge

7952511484_0afa9556ef.jpg

All evidence of the house have been completely removed. Two stones remain.

7951450692_1ec5d708c1.jpg

7951436480_50c1582c1a.jpg

Anyway - RIP Terry Nutkins and if anybody wanted a wee taster before delving into the life / works / novels of Gavin Maxwell (including Terry Nutkins if you can pick up 'The Rocks Remain') then this is a good place to start

http://www.eileanban.org/gavin-maxwell.html

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back