OU Photography course

Name
Christian
Edit My Images
No
My apologies if this is the wrong section or if it's being discussed elsewhere but has anyone else signed up for the OU course "Digital Photography: Creating and sharing better images"?

Just wondering :)

wow! thanks for the link! I've been looking for a course like this for ages that I could do outside of work, but the colleges around here are all daytime courses! I think i'll be signing up for this later tonight!

*dances*

<edit> gah! it would seem that I need to have my funding sorted 5 weeks in advance of the starting date and it takes 3 weeks for that to sort itself out, so it'll be the october one i'll be on! make sure you report back with feedback on the course though!

Remember: Tesco Vouchers are honored by OU courses.

I'm starting in May too, am really looking forward to it.

Jas

Anyone previously taken the OU course? Would be really interested in comments on it.

John

as i understand it, it's brand new this year, so those who are taking it in may will be the first to sample it. I'm hoping to hear good things back about it though!

Seems as there are 1500 registered "members"
Quite popular then I guess
(y)
I'm in the red group anyone else?
Just a though, how about adding (TP) to the signatures once we get cracking in the forums so we know each other? rather like a secret hand shake :LOL: :LOL:

Did all the software uploading fairly easily and logged in earlier. Didn't notice 1500 others or what colour I was! :shrug:

Did all the software uploading fairly easily and logged in earlier. Didn't notice 1500 others or what colour I was! :shrug:

No problem with the software at all Makes a change :LOL:
I'm still finding my way around the various sections ( & there's a lot!) but it says "somewhere"
That as there are 1500 members they have been split into 2 groups red & blue I think that if you go to the forum section you have coloured flags next to the check boxes this denotes the group, though again the info is there "somewhere" may even be on the home page

Alone again....................Naturally :crying: :LOL:

Well I don't know about you, but I'm lost already. So many bits to click on and things to read!!

It driving me up the bloody wall already!
I find the forums so difficult to navigate and very disjointed that includes the info pages
I think I need an OU degree to understand whats happening
The Mrs worked there for many many years and did her Mphil with them ( not on line though)
I asked if she knew what the crack was and the reply? :shrug:

On the earlier bit....I'm a RED!

I have only had a quick browse and there does seem to be a lot of jumping around. I have kept Thurs afternoon free for reading the material online for this week so will let you know.
Jas

Please keep us updated as to how it goes. I may register for the next course in sept

I'd be really interested to hear what you guys think of this course. I'm too late to sign up for the May 07 one. I was thinking about the October version, but I saw the course subjects set out in another post. The early part looks like its VERY basic (how to get pics from camera to PC, how to crop etc). But the later bits look more interesting

Forums cafe etc seem a little difficult to navigate The course it self seems ok so far, but its only just started
There are tutorials on elements 5 ( supplied) from downloading, organising, tagging etc. I think that it will get more advanced as time goes on but its starting at the idiot level ( some of which has me stumped already :LOL: )
the "show and tell" photo's being posted as prelude makes me think that some are on the course for "point scoring " IMHO

The forum software is awful and I can't work out why you need to install 'FirstClass' on your machine when you can view all the content online via the browser?

I'm trying to come up with ideas for the session 1 photo assignment, going to try the 'letters' option.

Everything very basic at the moment. I'm not that impressed with most of the images being shared, they're not scoring any points here!

At the moment there isn't much interaction with the 'lecturers', seems like a bit of DIY course so far.

The forum software is awful and I can't work out why you need to install 'FirstClass' on your machine when you can view all the content online via the browser?

I'm trying to come up with ideas for the session 1 photo assignment, going to try the 'letters' option.

Everything very basic at the moment. I'm not that impressed with most of the images being shared, they're not scoring any points here!

At the moment there isn't much interaction with the 'lecturers', seems like a bit of DIY course so far.

"First class" is supposed to have "extras" but I am buggered if I can see what they are either
Have you checked through all the galleries Clint?
there are some stunners there
I Know what you mean about a DIY course there is though a "little" input from the "tutors" on the forums occasionally but with 1500 students I guess it got "oversubscribed?
Oh well give it time its week one, maybe it will be like wine and improve with time :shrug:

My past experience with OU courses is that they do indeed start easy but get tougher quickly. The OU is pretty good at what they do though so if you find you need help just ask.

My past experience with OU courses is that they do indeed start easy but get tougher quickly. The OU is pretty good at what they do though so if you find you need help just ask.

There are a lot of "help" files on the discs provided plus general on line help via the OU website or phone numbers
The info ( discs) we have allows us to look ahead which is good. The Mrs did her degree with them and it kept her on her toes :LOL:

"First class" is supposed to have "extras" but I am buggered if I can see what they are either
Have you checked through all the galleries Clint?
there are some stunners there
I Know what you mean about a DIY course there is though a "little" input from the "tutors" on the forums occasionally but with 1500 students I guess it got "oversubscribed?
Oh well give it time its week one, maybe it will be like wine and improve with time :shrug:

Will have a look around tonight and see what I can find point scoring wise.
I suppose one good thing about the course is that I've paid for it and will therefore force myself to take my camera out and do the assignments.
Been a bit lazy photography wise lately.

Hello, new here ...

I'm thinking of doing this course in October, so am very interested to read your views on it. I am pretty much a beginner on the DSLR front so doubt it would be too basic for me :eek: Will read your views with interest!

Just thought - anyone who is on this course, tell the other students about TPF! :D

I have just ordered some OU vouchers from tescos and will be going for this (only costs £45 with clubcard vouchers) so even if it is not brilliant I am sure I will learn something from it!

Hello, new here ...

I'm thinking of doing this course in October, so am very interested to read your views on it. I am pretty much a beginner on the DSLR front so doubt it would be too basic for me :eek: Will read your views with interest!

I think you will find enough to keep you interested
A lot of it revolves around manipulation and elements 5 is provided, with tutiorials, to get the most from it.
There is photo sharing and comments on the OU website
It starts very basic, but then Some of the weekly tutorials become a little technical but there is enough information supplied and also in the form of outside links to help you through it.

I find that an hour or two a night ( average) is plenty of time to read through but you are also looking a couple or so hours, as well for your weekly photo assignments.
I am not sorry I started it.

Thanks for that Cobra - very helpful. On another forum I visit (not photography related) there has been a lot of moaning about this course - mainly technical difficulties with the forum it seems. I'm still thinking of going for it though. Best get shopping at Tescos! :)

Thanks for that Cobra - very helpful. On another forum I visit (not photography related) there has been a lot of moaning about this course - mainly technical difficulties with the forum it seems. I'm still thinking of going for it though. Best get shopping at Tescos! :)

It seems that some are having trouble accessing certain areas or the tutorial discs are not up to scratch. ( this now has been rectified with new discs being supplied to those who asked) I have had no problems though,Oh and the web site can be extrexmley slow to respond at times. Concidering how many courses are running at one time, and how many people must be doing the courses (1500 on the photography one alone) its not really surprising!

Can only echo what Cobra says, if you are a beginner to DSLR then the course is useful, especially if you want to learn post processing in a structured way. I rarely had technical difficulties, apparently Mac users were finding things hard going with the use of Elements 5.

As we are the vanguard, i guess most of the issues will have been ironed out by the October course.

That's what I was hoping - I figured the OU have such a good reputation, I'm sure they will iron out any teething problems encountered :) Ooh, can't wait now!

It's probably worthwhile the main downside of the course for me...To improve, it really helps to have constructive critique and the course relies on students critiquing each others work. As you can imagine, as all are students, they are either very reluctant or not confident in doing this.

Most of the time (as a hobby photographer), I will know where my pics could be improved so wasn't a massive issue for me. In my opinion, this forum is a much better place for that critique! The rest of the course is pretty good though.

In my opinion, this forum is a much better place for that critique! The rest of the course is pretty good though.

Agreed 100%(y)

To all the current TPF people on the course......how many of you already have photoshop rather than elements?

Back