OU Photography course

I have both but am using Elements for the course. (And have realised that I don't really need full Photoshop.)

Clint,

thanks for your reply, probably not spotted by the others on the course yet.....I have discovered, after a little badgering of Adobe that as students on the course we are entitled to buy adobe products at student prices :clap: :clap:

This means Photoshop CS3 is only £140 as an example. Therefore, for those people already on the course or thinking of joining it can make it pay for itself if they were ever going to buy photoshop latest version of cs3 anyway!

Clint,

thanks for your reply, probably not spotted by the others on the course yet.....I have discovered, after a little badgering of Adobe that as students on the course we are entitled to buy adobe products at student prices :clap: :clap:

This means Photoshop CS3 is only £140 as an example. Therefore, for those people already on the course or thinking of joining it can make it pay for itself if they were ever going to buy photoshop latest version of cs3 anyway!

Good stuff. How do you go about redeeming this offer? I would search the OU forums....if they had search functionality.....

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=290610#post290610

Just posted on the other thread above....

I went on to the Adobe website and went through purchasing a student version and you get to a point where they will process the whole thing but not take payment until they are able to verify that you are indeed a student.

I ended up getting a phone number to contact and they wanted a student ID card. After stating i didn't have one due to being an online course, you can email (if you can scan your documents) or fax through the Course Enrolment Acceptance along with a photo id like passport or drivers licence. They accepted this from me and have taken payment although still waiting for the software, hopfully sometime this week.

Davec uk,

without knowing your existing level of experience, it may be hard for you to compare. I regularly shot it Aperture priority before the course started and hardly used Auto.

I was spending around 10 hours per week including the shooting of photos and post processing, posting the photos and critiquing others. Some weeks more, some weeks less. For me, my objective was to have a structured way of learning how to edit pictures as well as having a weekly assignment for taking photos to broaden my experience.

Good luck with the course.

10 hours a week sounds about a good average to me too

I've enrolled for the course this time round, but I can't for the life of me remember what date it starts!

The OU site will tell you, failing that you will have had contact details sent to you surely?

because the closing date for registration has passed, there's no longer a starting date on the site for the october course, and helpfully, none of the paperwork i recieved has a date either! Hence my problem.

Thinking of signing up for the May 2008 kickoff of this course...

Not sure if its worth the money, or whether simply entering more TP comps, posting and getting feedback will pretty much give me the same kind of experience?

hi elmo, I'm on the OU T189 course too, it starts tomorrow, tho if you log into studenthome page it gives you assignments for the first few wks and what to do before it starts, eg install elements etc.
good luck.
i'm in green team!
mrs tc

Thinking of signing up for the May 2008 kickoff of this course...

Not sure if its worth the money, or whether simply entering more TP comps, posting and getting feedback will pretty much give me the same kind of experience?

As has been said a few times, it realy depends on your "level" Its a good basic course I signed up around the time I joined TP, pretty much as a Dslr virgin. I learned a lot from TP in the few months before the course started, The course did teach me a little about manipulation. there is a disc tutorial that runs you through Elements 5 (supplied) which I found very useful. I then went on to claim my student discount and like a few others got CS3 extended for about £150 instead of the advertised £880.

I don't regret signing up
HTH

Thanks for the advice, For the relatively low entry fee, I think I may as well signup. My current skill level is very limited, ive had experience with motorsport photography and thats about it...

I want to develop my ability to frame shots in my head, take landscapes, portraits and still life type shots.

Ive already bought CS3, but, im sure I can make use of the student discount for other software and hardware im interested in buying.

hi elmo, I'm on the OU T189 course too, it starts tomorrow, tho if you log into studenthome page it gives you assignments for the first few wks and what to do before it starts, eg install elements etc.
good luck.
i'm in green team!
mrs tc

cheers! I think my problem was i hadn't received any conformation from the uni itself, i'd only received conformation from my funding body that i'd enrolled on it, so hadn't received a password or joining instructions etc.

Found my way about now though :) - Not a fan of the forums though, very confusing to navigate!

I finished the course with the Open Uni yesterday, i thought it was great, i learnt loads, but then i didnt know much to start with. The Elements tutorials were good, weekly assignments actually made you take photos & edit them. Recommend it only downside is lack of feedback, critique but i guess that can come from elsewhere.
TJ

i've just finished the course as well, and really enjoyed it. I found that i could easily fit in around all my other commitments, and it was great to receive feedback on my photo's. I definately learnt an awful lot, i did struggle to retain some of the infomation on the more technical areas, but thats just me! I would def recommend this course to anyone who is thinking about it.

I have just completed this aswell and would recommend it to anyone who wants to get to grips with Elements 5. The photo sharing was a good giggle aswell and has encouraged me to do the same on here when I pluck up the courage ;) as the standard on here is so high.

Highly recommended to anyone................:canon:

On this subject has anyone who has completed this had any thoughts of what they could do next inthe OU on related subjects?.....am at a dead end and not sure how to carry on with anything useful :thinking:

I finished the course with the Open Uni yesterday, i thought it was great, i learnt loads, but then i didnt know much to start with. The Elements tutorials were good, weekly assignments actually made you take photos & edit them. Recommend it only downside is lack of feedback, critique but i guess that can come from elsewhere.
TJ

I found that from a feedback point of view, the course was lacking. Hopefully, the course will give all of you the confidence to enter competitions here and also put up pic's for feedback. I learned more that way as this site is excellent for constructive feedback.

On this subject has anyone who has completed this had any thoughts of what they could do next inthe OU on related subjects?.....am at a dead end and not sure how to carry on with anything useful

For me, it wasn't another course, I joined a local camera club and it has proved to be really excellent.

Interesting. So did you get any qualification/recognition from it?

Yes, although only basic. If you get really high marks, you can apply for joining a recognised photography body (forgot which one!) LPS rings a bell :shrug:

Back