Oulton Park 70-200

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.

I was going to wait a while and get a 150-500mm sigma to shoot motorsports. I only shoot at Oulton Park at the moment.

I checked over my photos and most of them I don't even shoot over 150mm. Im thinking may be buy a 70-200 as a lot of these focus really well and the apertures are very good. I could also use a 70-200mm for other types of photography and not just motorosports.

The big question. Does anyone here shoot with a 70-200mm lens at Oulton Park and get very good results? I would have to get the 70-200mm F4 NON-IS canon lens or maybe an older sigma 70-200. I was concerned about the lens not having IS but with motorsport shots I would want to pan anyway. Ive also heard that if your shooting other fast action sports that you need the shutter speed that high that IS doesn't even come in to play.

I've recently done a couple of days at Oulton.

I'm using a Nikon D3000 with a Nikkor 55-200mm DX lens.
Here's a few samples of it.

I think you can get most of Oulton covered with the 200, but sometimes you want that little more for the close ups. It's all down to how much you want to spend really.

Car Track Day

_DSC7978 by Chris Harden Photography, on Flickr

_DSC8541 by Chris Harden Photography, on Flickr

Bike Track Day

_DSC9826 by Chris Harden Photography, on Flickr

_DSC9843 by Chris Harden Photography, on Flickr

Hope this helps,
Chris

Yeah. Just debating really because I can only afford to get the f4 non IS canon version and to get one I have to sell my 400D + kit lens. Really I may as well save a little more and just go sigma 150-500mm.

You got any shots from down at knickerbrook?

Last edited:
I had a 70-200 F4L (Non-IS) some time ago, and it was good for Oulton (My local circuit). Although, I found myself always using 150mm+ most of the time to get the shots framed correctly (Especially at Cascades/Knickerbrook/Druids).

I got rid of it and didn't have anything for a while (having borrowed and tested both 120-300 f2.8 Sigma, and a 70-200mm f2.8 Sigma), I decided to get another 300mm F4 prime to see how it would work. I used it on my 40D originally, and it ended up being a bit too long (even though it was incredibly sharp) for Oulton.

I ended up keeping the prime in the end though, as I'm now on Full Frame and its the perfect length (true 300mm).

40D + 300mm F4 (not cropped)... Cascades:

#78 Porsche GT Cup by f0xy, on Flickr

Kickerbrook

#78 Porsche GT Cup by f0xy, on Flickr

Back