Our Tour of the Highlands

Looks like a cracking trip Gary - I'm insanely jealous!

One dark, morbid thought though, your journey times seem very optimistic! Hope you've allowed yourself a bit of leeway on the timings;)

Looks like a cracking trip Gary - I'm insanely jealous!

One dark, morbid thought though, your journey times seem very optimistic! Hope you've allowed yourself a bit of leeway on the timings;)

Absolutely, I am aware that if light and weather is not kind, the list will shrink.

Looking forward to it so much, leaving in just over a week!

Gary.

DAY 3

* Wake in Elgol. Good visibility is a must, or a wasted waypoint. One of the most epic scenes in Scotland, IF visibility is good.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&ss=2&w=all&q=Elgol+Cuillins&m=text

* Once finished in Elgol, we aim for "The Quiraing, near Staffin". The route will be littered with fantastic scenery, and as a result, we will do a lot of stopping. (Elgol to Staffin: 57.1 miles – about 1 hour 28 mins)

* Shoot the last of the days light at The Quiraing.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&ss=2&w=all&q=The+Quiraing&m=text

* Head for Eileen Donan Castle, for a good nights sleep! (Staffin to Balmacara: 54.7 miles – about 1 hour 21 mins)

I'd suggest you swap quiraing and elgol around chief, you'll get lovely light hitting the quiraing in the morning, sunset would favour elgol as the hills will be illuminated as the light fades, whereas at sunrise the early low light will be blocked.

I'd suggest you swap quiraing and elgol around chief, you'll get lovely light hitting the quiraing in the morning, sunset would favour elgol as the hills will be illuminated as the light fades, whereas at sunrise the early low light will be blocked.

Thanks,

Has been suggested a few times now, so will do that for sure. Really really looking forward to this :D

Gary.

Guys,

I would like to welcome Gandhi on board :) This trip just entered into a new level of awesomeness. I absolutely love this guys work, and I hope we can have a vulcan mind meld so I / we can steal his talent :D :D :D

Gary.

How interesting, not sure when you are going, but I will be in Scotland for at elast a week, all West Coast for the week of the 7th feb, maybe see one of those campers.

I'll be in Skye also, so I'll keep my eyes peeled!

We are leaving in approx 10 days...for a week. Looking forward to your photos though!!

Gary.

Looks like I might be able to catch up with you guys sometime latish Tuesday so I'll be keeping my eye on the itinerary!

Last time I drove the van North I ended up racketing into Glencoe at some ungodly hour with deer lining the roads it was truly terrifying, if any of them had moved onto the road.................... It was pitch dark and I woke the next morning to a positively glass like Loch Linneh.

I'm just glad I have my own van after tales of "The curry incident" :)

Looks like I might be able to catch up with you guys sometime latish Tuesday so I'll be keeping my eye on the itinerary!

Last time I drove the van North I ended up racketing into Glencoe at some ungodly hour with deer lining the roads it was truly terrifying, if any of them had moved onto the road.................... It was pitch dark and I woke the next morning to a positively glass like Loch Linneh.

I'm just glad I have my own van after tales of "The curry incident" :)

We should swap mobile numbers before you leave. Our route is hugely flexible due to light and weather...

Looking forward to meeting you!

Gary.

I bet it is lol! My route and planned stops changed last time I did part of this route in January, because it was snowing heavens hard. I ended up spending more time in Aviemore and walking in the Cairngorms where they were husky racing, it was fab :)

I'll pm you my number.

Look forward to meeting you lovely lot too, what a learning opportunity!

Gary, if you are planning something in the summer can you keep me in mind? I'd love to do something like this.

You guys are going to have the time of your lives. Me and my friend went in december to west coast of Scotland and a little of Skye, was amazing fun but wasn't happy with my results so went back on my own last week for 4 days. Weather unfortunately was terrible most of the time apart from on the way up when I stopped off at the lakes and subsequently my shot plans out the window that I had planned. Still great to get away and hitting that road, plan to be back maybe in march.

Have fun all, and take it easy:woot:(y)

Kayjay,

For sure. I plan to do this 2, maybe 3 times per year. The summer trip already has the places taken, HOWEVER, you can still come. We need to find a driver for the 2nd camper van and then 10+ can go.

Gary.

I can drive, and I'm careful. Can you link me to the thread and I'll take a look?
Cheers mate. I'll owe you a big highland steak or something :D

I can drive, and I'm careful. Can you link me to the thread and I'll take a look?
Cheers mate. I'll owe you a big highland steak or something :D

There is no thread :D See the thing is, all this **** gets talked about in the IRC chatroom, before any threads are created. As a result, the IRC guys always book a place before the thread even has a chance. I was going to create a thread for this trip too, but as soon as it was mentioned, it was full. I had a friend pull out, hence Gandhi nabbing a space.

Still, with 2 campers, there is plenty space left. What age are you? Just for insurance purposes.

Gary.

28 :)

I need to get in on that IRC stuff. I was in there a week or two ago.

Awesome RE 28. The camper, need to be 25 or older to drive. Okay, the summer trip (dates TBC, we need to get 3 bodies (or more if you want) into the van you are driving, and you guys split the cost of the petrol for that vehicle). It seats 6, although I would suggest taking NO MORE than 3 in it, based on personal experience.

Gary.

The trip sounds great, really wish I was closer?

Hmmm, Exeter to Glasgow about £10 return for the summer at the moment (plus baggage and taxes).

I can drive, a little over 25, have held a PSV too! Maybe, Maybe?

Just for the record. There is a 2nd camper sitting in my drive, during this trip we are about to embark upon. It will allow for 3, or 4 more bodies. Or 6, if people do not mind a REALLY uncomfortable sleep (or a tent).

Anyway, the offer stands.

Gary.

Just for the record. There is a 2nd camper sitting in my drive, during this trip we are about to embark upon. It will allow for 3, or 4 more bodies. Or 6, if people do not mind a REALLY uncomfortable sleep (or a tent).

Anyway, the offer stands.

Gary.

Not an automatic by any chance is it?

I'd be interested in the summer trip if space available?

I'd be interested in the summer trip if space available?

If I have NOT forgotten anyone from IRC then I think it should be OK.

I need to get an updated IRC list. So far I think:

- Me
- Woodsy
- Foggy
- Justin
- Blapto
- Jimmy Lemon
- Pete Carr *possibly

And mentioned here?
- KayJay
- You

I need to look back over the thread to see who else expressed an interest.

First come first serve on the BIG camper I am afraid. It can sleep 4 in comfort, and transport 5. The smaller van, can sleep 4, and transport 6.

Gary.

Cool, if it comes off it will be great.

No problems with me owning Canon kit then?

Funnily enough I was talking about going up to Scotland with my wife this year, but she said "as long as I don't have to wait around all the time waiting for you to take photographs" well that would kind of defeat the object really, so she would be more than happy for me to go off on my own.

Just spoke with HimUpNorth! Top bloke and lots of friendly and extremely helpful advice.

Gary.

:LOL:

Any more bodies, will it will be a squeeze. That is not a NO, as I am a very very nice guy, but trust me, it will be tight.

Gary.

There is no way I could go unfortunately because id miss a weeks money, if that wasnt the case though I would find out where you live, find your palace on wheels and attach myself to the roof for a week :)

Back