Our Tour of the Highlands

Can't wait now. Really excited. Off to order more velvia in a mo. And a new wide angle for the 5x4.

I'll be up in the summer too. But will be driving and camping as Laura will be with me.

She gets massive props for this as I will be away for her birthday!

Can't wait now. Really excited. Off to order more velvia in a mo. And a new wide angle for the 5x4.

I'll be up in the summer too. But will be driving and camping as Laura will be with me.

She gets massive props for this as I will be away for her birthday!

OOOOOH. Cannot believe you managed to swing that!!

Dude, we are in a bit of a pickle on the whole progress vs waiting for light etc. You have clearly mastered the art of good light, what do you recommend, generally?

Gary.

Yeah, it's a bit like selling your soul to the devil though. I could well be paying for this trip into the next millenium and I'd better leave a nice pressie behind before I leave!

As for light......

Long range weather forecast looks good and cold/snowy and sunny after tuesday so should be great wherever we go hopefully. I've got an iphone app called focalware that tells you the azimuth and elevation of the sun for any location and time. I'll have a look for some locations tomorrow and get back to you on that one. The only flight from Bristol to Edi on saturday is well early so we can spend a couple of hours fine tuning and arguing about stuff.

Having been to Scotland numerous times though, I think the best bet is just to mosey about and just make sure you're in good bits for sunrise and sunset. The weather is so changeable and unpredictable it's can really get depressing if you chase the light all the time. Especially at this time of year, sun low to the horizon and all that.

Midges? You learn to love them.

Have you looked over the proposed route Gandhi? Lots on it, not sure we will manage it all.

Gary.

Yeah, it's a bit like selling your soul to the devil though. I could well be paying for this trip into the next millenium and I'd better leave a nice pressie behind before I leave!

As for light......

Long range weather forecast looks good and cold/snowy and sunny after tuesday so should be great wherever we go hopefully. I've got an iphone app called focalware that tells you the azimuth and elevation of the sun for any location and time. I'll have a look for some locations tomorrow and get back to you on that one. The only flight from Bristol to Edi on saturday is well early so we can spend a couple of hours fine tuning and arguing about stuff.

Having been to Scotland numerous times though, I think the best bet is just to mosey about and just make sure you're in good bits for sunrise and sunset. The weather is so changeable and unpredictable it's can really get depressing if you chase the light all the time. Especially at this time of year, sun low to the horizon and all that.

Cracking mate. I believe martin and I are getting there around mid afternoon, so will see ya then.

Good advice above as well. Should be an awesome trip! :D

Right, that's it, the Hasselblad is coming!!!!

I've only got an 80mm lens for it and the wide angles are horrendously expensive. I'm going to waste some film and do some serious stitching!

:)

We have HDTV, Sky, and Laptops on board :D Will be backing up a LOT.

No, we will be changing darkslides, managing film and not worrying about any lack of electricity :)

I have no digital anymore so this will be a mega-challenge of a trip for me!

Midges? You learn to love them.

Have you looked over the proposed route Gandhi? Lots on it, not sure we will manage it all.

Gary.

I could never love something that sucks my blood and ruins photos by pitching in million quantities on my filters!

Itinerary looks grand. Q'uirang is really best at sunrise If my memory serves me correctly. Likewise, elgol may well be best for sunrise also this time of year. I'll get me compass out in a sec and have a looksee.

Going further north over the Highlands and into the last wilderness might be fun if it's snowy.

back in 15 after google earthing for a bit

Right, that's it, the Hasselblad is coming!!!!

I've only got an 80mm lens for it and the wide angles are horrendously expensive. I'm going to waste some film and do some serious stitching!

:)

Do it. You'll only regret not bringing it if you don't!

I'm off to get a 75mm (about 22mm in old money) tomorrow, so that will be insanely wide on the 5x4 and should allow some good panoramic crops out of the negs.

I'm tempted by a fuji quickload holder too now as it will make managing film a whole lot easier over a week.

Oh and I'm gonna need some more velvia, I quite fancy trying provia, and velvia 100f & some rtp64 for blue tinted long night expoures!

Oh, the agony of decision.

Do you think we can get the dev tanks in Gary's sink in the gin palace? lol

He'll kill us if we turn up with chemicals! :)

Really looking forward to a day or two with you guys but I'll need to get back to Manchester for teatime Friday so it won't be the full monty for me but I'll come up anyway. I'm sure I'll learn loads, landscape is hardly my forte! lol

Definately recommend the Loch Maree route, my aunt and uncle own a farm and B&B right opposite 'Victoria Falls' there. Might be worth it carrying on that road (A832) past Gairloch and Poolewe, to Dundonnell.

Might take a while longer, but the views would be better IMO. The road above Gruinard Bay is quite something: http://www.flickr.com/photos/krmuir/494791024/

More info: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areagair/index.html (The top photo on that page is one of my other aunt and uncles houses).

Sounds an epic journey, but sounds like it will be well worth it! Hope you get some good weather too! :)

Ok,

Generally sunrise is at 8:20 am and sunset 4:20 ish. If you imagine a clock with 12 as north, sunrise is about where 4 is and sunset about the 8. This will impact on what we can shoot, as will the fact the sun wont get above 15 degrees above the horizon. It does mean lots of lovely side-light and plenty of shadows!

Day 1 : Saturday

Arrive in Edinburgh
Shoot Edinburgh Street, and an Edinburgh sunset
Have meal
Leave for and wild camp at Glenetive (Edi to Glenetive: 114 miles – about 2 hours 51 mins)

Don't know about Edi having never been there so can't comment on this one

DAY 2: Sunday

Wake in Glenetive, shoot Buachaille Etive Mor

Shoot Glencoe

Take in Sunset in Glencoe

Needs to be the other way round maybe? Sunset will be straight down Loch Etive Sunrise is almost straight down Glencoe at this time of year

DAY 3: Monday

* Wake in Elgol. Good visibility is a must, or a wasted waypoint. One of the most epic scenes in Scotland, IF visibility is good.

* Once finished in Elgol, we aim for "The Quiraing, near Staffin". The route will be littered with fantastic scenery, and as a result, we will do a lot of stopping.

* Shoot the last of the days light at The Quiraing.

* Head for Eileen Donan Castle, for a good nights sleep!

Elgol will be sweet for sunrise as the sun will be hitting the Cuillins over the bay directly almost. However, sunset at Quiraing will be a bit of a non-starter I think as the sun will be behind us directly. Glenbrittle would be good to get the other side of the Cuillins at sunset or Dunvegan is another alternative. Nice castle and the sun should be coming down the loch at sunset. And there's always the Coral Beaches if you're feeling brave!

DAY 4

* Wake at Eileen Donan Castle. Hope for good light, sun behind us I think.

* Head for the "Pass of the Cattle" (Bealach na Ba)

* Head for Applecross Beach.

* Head for Upper Loch Torridon, avoiding Bealach na Ba, once is enough!

DAY 5

* We wake for sunrise over Upper Loch Torridon.

* We head to Torridon and Liathac and see if we can make good of a lower viewpoint

* After we have taken in Torridon, we make the long drive to Stac Pollaidh (and in fact: Loch Lurgainn), via Ullapool. We should arrive with ample time to catch the last of the days light.

Days 5 & 6 all good IMHO!

DAY 6

* We spend the morning taking more shots of Stac Pollaidh, before leaving for Achmelvic for some coastal scenery.

* We head to Quinag (and Loch Assynt) for some photos

* Once finished at Quinag (Assynt), we make the trip to Durness and take in any scenery on route.

* We shoot the sunset in Durness.

* Spend the remainder of the night in Durness.

I think sunset in Durness is gonna be a bit of a non starter due to angle of sun. Might be better off heading back south towards Ft William again. I might suggest Loch arkaig. Crazy drive but beautiful place

DSC0891.jpg

DSC0840.jpg

DSC_1721.jpg

All Arkaig ;)

DAY 7
Sunrise at Loch arkaig?

This all my humble opinion of course and should be taken with a hefty pinch of salt!

Plans always change cos of the weather but between us all we should have some good ideas of great places and couple that with a sun compass and we cant go wrong? can we?

well, I've never been further north than Newcastle upon Tyne, so this will be awsome for me :D

Gandhi mate, you do realise that the questions and brain picking will not stop over this entire trip :)

The photo I hope to beat:
20090116011856_isle%20of%20skye%20-%20elgol.jpg

This this is my best Skye photo to date, and I would be chuffed I could better it.

Gary.

well, I've never been further north than Newcastle upon Tyne, so this will be awsome for me :D

Gandhi mate, you do realise that the questions and brain picking will not stop over this entire trip :)

Dude! No matter how many photos you've seen, you will **** yourself at the sheer awesomeness of the place.

Feel free to question all you like and pick over whatever meat is left on the bones!

Interesting to hear different ideas on where to be for sunrise/sunset. When I was in Elgol I arrived for sunset and it was fairly nice/damn cold, the light still hit the Cullins:

DSC_5539.jpg

The Quiraing is ideal for sunrise from the bottom, however when I was there the other week I aimed for sunset from the top of the Quiraing but unfortunatly rained an aweful lot, but still my aim for the summer. I couldnt get up the top of the road as the ice on the road and poor car traction did not go well as seen here from the 1st time december 08:

DSC_5585.jpg

Ahh this thread is killing me:puke::love:

I'm bringing the RZ67 + some Velvia (though I'll do the majority of colour work on the D300) + some black and white film. I've got a 110mm f/2.8 for it, and I might get a 50mm or 65mm before the trip. They aren't cheap, but I do need to decide this weekend whether or not I'll go for one.

Also a little worried about wide angle for the D300. The Sigma 10-20 is good, maybe great but not excellent. I might see about renting a 14-24 before the trip, logic being that by the time I get a FX body + 14-24 (later this year/early next year) the 14-24 will have depreciated in value by the week's hire cost.

And now I'm considering hiring a 14-24, I'm considering hiring a 24mm PC-E. Argh!

Cool.

Flight booked.

Blapto, been looking at your blog. Some really nice shots on there!

Thank you! I like the shots of yours that I've seen.

Where are you flying from? I settled on the train which takes a bit longer but should hopefully be more sedate. First class for £70 which isn't too bad.

Bath. Didn't think of the train tbh. Bet it'll be bloody cheaper too lol. Flight is only an hour and I don't have much baggage so easy really. Just ordered up some more film stock for the trip. Just gotta work out how to manage it all on the trip now!

Aaarrrggggghhhhh!!!!

Blooming camper failed it's MOT!! Still, it could be worse, a couple of discs needed on the back with some new pads, a brake compensator valve which is mysteriously missing??? and a reg plate light out.

That's what I get for not using it enough because it is kept in storage! I'll get the parts sorted and the van is back in the garage next Friday to get sorted. I'll make it by hook or by crook! :)

Not good news, but at least it's nothing serious.

I'm determined to get everybody on the trip to shoot some frames of LF goodness which I will then duly dev/scan/mail to you on CD with the Negs!

btw Ali, I'm sure Gary will have some coffee and some salt. We need nothing more to dev B&W save a tank!

he he he, I can bring a tank :)

Go for it guys! Camper now MOT'd and I can get an early start on Tuesday so I hope to make it that far North on Tuesday. It's a heck of a drive from Manchester to Torridon but I'll give it a bash and if I fall short I'll catch you on Wednesday. :)

he he he, I can bring a tank :)

Go for it guys! Camper now MOT'd and I can get an early start on Tuesday so I hope to make it that far North on Tuesday. It's a heck of a drive from Manchester to Torridon but I'll give it a bash and if I fall short I'll catch you on Wednesday. :)

Excellent!!! :D

3 people dead!

They aren't us! Weather has turned out well, photos are great.

Miss you all.

Xxx

Hi guys, still alive!!! :D

We have managed the schedule, and are already half Way back from north coast. Decided to come home via glencoe instead of inverness as more shots to be had. We shoot our last day tomorrow around glencoe and rannoch Moore. Had lots of good weather, and seen some sights.

Can't wait to post,

Gary.

Back