out of date film / exposure query

Name
Edit My Images
No
Ok I have some out of date Fomapan 200, dated Nov 2016. I never keep any of my film in the fridge so this has been at room temp since the day it was bought. Knowing its rather "extended" exposure times anyway would a few months out of dateness really affect it in any way?

Ok I have some out of date Fomapan 200, dated Nov 2016. I never keep any of my film in the fridge so this has been at room temp since the day it was bought. Knowing its rather "extended" exposure times anyway would a few months out of dateness really affect it in any way?

In a nutshell.....NO I very much doubt it

Just shoot it as if it was fresh.

Some folk tend to shoot it at a slightly reduced speed as a matter of course

I think the usual formula is to compensate by a stop for each decade the film is past its expiry, so you'll probably be alright shooting it at box speed. ;)

Though that's probably with optimal storage, if it's been left on a south-facing windowsill for a decade one stop probably wouldn't do the job!

I shot some old jessops colour that had been in the loft. Did nothing different. Sent to filmdev and it came back fine.

I have a couple of SupaSnaps films that expired in 2001 and a Truprint one that expired in 1990, the last one is closer to 3 stops than 2, though 2.5 would do.

Back