Outdated film at Analogue Wonderland

Cheers Nick, just got a pack of t-max in 54 for £18... bargain.

100ft roll of Tri-X heading my way... Guess that's my 35mm needs sorted for 2020.

Though I may just get another roll of Polypan for the summer...

£52 for a pack of 5 rolls of Acros seems a bit on the steep side, especially seeing as it's out of date. Ignoring processing cost, that's over £10 per roll and in 6x7, over £1 per picture. No doubt that's down to them having tweaked the formula for Acros II. I'm glad I bought my packs before that price hike. (22.97 + vat for a 5 pack)

£52 for a pack of 5 rolls of Acros seems a bit on the steep side, especially seeing as it's out of date. Ignoring processing cost, that's over £10 per roll and in 6x7, over £1 per picture. No doubt that's down to them having tweaked the formula for Acros II. I'm glad I bought my packs before that price hike. (22.97 + vat for a 5 pack)
Yes, that made me leave the Acros on their shelf, £10 a pop for outdated 120 film is a bit too steep for me even if it is original Acros. £50 for the tri-X is a bargain as is £18 for the 5x4 T-Max.

Last edited:
I have a big pile of outdated film, thanks to buying slightly outdated film on eBay a few years ago to test cameras - is it possible even to use slide film with a 2002 expiry date?

I have a big pile of outdated film, thanks to buying slightly outdated film on eBay a few years ago to test cameras - is it possible even to use slide film with a 2002 expiry date?
Welcome to the F&C section Gillian. Use beyond the expiry date is heavily dependent on how the film was stored, so you'd really need to have a decent idea of that. 2002 E6 slide film may well be reasonable if it has been frozen or stored in a fridge, less so if it was at room temperature. If you check out posts by @pentaxpete you'll find he's very good at sharing results from old film, and others may be along with their thoughts on giving extra exposure and such like.

I shot some Ektachrome that had expired in 2003 a couple of months back and the results weren't terrible. There was a strong purple cast to the images, but I managed to remove that quite easily in Photoshop. The shadows also have notable purple speckling.

In short, I wouldn't use it for anything you want guaranteed good images from, but if you're happy to experiment you'll probably be fine and get some photos.

Thanks both - I'll have a look. It wasn't stored in a fridge, and who knows where it was stored before it got to me...so maybe one to just experiment with and see what happens. I'd really like to try slide film plus cross-processing, but am nervous because I hear it's finicky and is fairly expensive and/or hard to find to begin with.

Well you've already got the film so that side of the cost is covered. I'd happily put a roll through C41 for you just to see what happens with absolutely no guarantees of anything coming out at the other end.

Thanks both - I'll have a look. It wasn't stored in a fridge, and who knows where it was stored before it got to me...so maybe one to just experiment with and see what happens. I'd really like to try slide film plus cross-processing, but am nervous because I hear it's finicky and is fairly expensive and/or hard to find to begin with.
Filmdev processed a roll of expired Sensia in C41 for me, and I really liked the results. As others said, not for something you really want, but good for fun.

Back