Outdoor clothing recommendations.

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to buy some suitable outdoor clothing that will keep me dry and warm in the winter months. Not really sure what to go for and i plan on doing a trip to the Farne Islands in May.
Some i have seen is really expensive, about £250 for a jacket for example which is far too much as i was thinking more like the £75.00 mark.

Thanks.

Hi, what items are you after? You mention a jacket you have seen but don't say if that is all you're after or if there are other things?

On the jacket front, if you truly want to stay dry and you might be in some very wet conditions then a jacket whose only job is to keep the water out - i.e no insulating properties - would be your best option. Berghaus do a couple of decent jackets that may not be as good as the more expensive ones but are still good. The following may be cheaper elsewhere - http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/berghaus-mens-stormcloud-jacket-a1113361?id_colour=98

Then, to keep warm is best done by layering. A good fleece is not a great fashion statement but is good at insulating, being comfy and letting moisture out when it warms up. If it gets towards freezing you may want something else as well, such as a down jacket.

You may find a 3-in-1 jacket which is basically a fleece that zips in and out of a waterproof 'shell'. Sometimes a good option if you can find a combo that works.

Also, it is not just about keeping water out, but letting your sweat out. A good base layer I would say is almost as important to keep comfortable. If you're wearing a cotton t-shirt and hiking at a good pace and get warm you will sweat, the t-shirt will get wet and will not dry out, then when you stop or the wind picks up or the temp drops you will be cold and won't be able to warm up. Another reason why layering is a good idea.

FWIW I have been happy with my Regatta coat

It is what is now called a three season coat ~ a lined fleece and a wind/rainproof outer coat. I have found it more than upbto keeping out the rain and strong winds. If I recall I paid about £65 for it in 2010

Depending on the usage it has had each year I wash & reproof it once a year.

Agree layers are the way to go, fleeces can be cheap and a good waterproof top ... Regatta, Berghaus or similar (as above).
When in May are you visiting the Farne Islands and with what express purpose?

Agree layers are the way to go, fleeces can be cheap and a good waterproof top ... Regatta, Berghaus or similar (as above).
When in May are you visiting the Farne Islands and with what express purpose?

Well it will be around May. I want to photograph Seals and Puffins and anything else that takes my fancy.

Regatta isn't a fancy brand but it will keep you as dry/warm as any other, the more expensive brands also perform well but to an extent you only are paying for the brand. To get good basic functionality doesn't cost that much.

However, with these things I find it best to just go and try stuff on as fit is really important for all day comfort. I have a Goretex Katmandu Jacket which is now older than any other coat I use but I still love it, it cost more at the time but it was the one that fitted me best and looked smart so I wear it all the time. Yes it was expensive as a one off but four years of heavy use later it is still in great condition and I have no intention of replacing it.

If you live near a Decathlon store I would definitely recommend paying a visit, their cheap stuff is decent enough and their top of the kit is excellent and about half the price of a 'brand' of the same features/quality.

Agree about the fit being important. You really can get away with cheaper brands for things like fleeces too, I have a couple of the £12 Mountain Warehouse ones which I can't see a difference in compared to my £60 Rab fleece, aside from the Rab is definitely wearing better and is a better cut for me.

That is where the more expensive brands usually show their quality is with general fit and how well they last.

Well it will be around May. I want to photograph Seals and Puffins and anything else that takes my fancy.

Best Puffin time is middle June to early/mid July when they are feeding the chicks, you'll also see young Guillimots, Shag etc ... really great time. :)

Aye, fleece and a regatta will do fine, look for some w/proof trousers that aren't the pull on type, there's plenty about that are just like cargo type but comfy

Regatta isn't a fancy brand but it will keep you as dry/warm as any other, the more expensive brands also perform well but to an extent you only are paying for the brand. To get good basic functionality doesn't cost that much.
I tried a regatta jacket recently, then tried a trespass 'clip' padded jacket. Not much in it, but I went for the trespass option, wore it on a days motorsport shooting at Croft where the heavens opened 4 or 5 times and the wind was blowing all day. I stayed warm and dry. Not bad for £30.
I have no doubt its not up to the performance of the more expensive kit, and wouldnt be breathable if I was exerting myself so might cause its own issues, but for a sedentary day out I was very happy with it

Jack Pyke are affordable, I have their countryman trousers, the knees and bum are waterproof, just what you need out and about.

If you have a Mountain Warehouse near you, they are well worth it, reasonable prices and does what it says.
Been out for over 5 hours in waterproof jacket and leggings, in down pour, kept bone dry

However, with these things I find it best to just go and try stuff on as fit is really important for all day comfort. I have a Goretex Katmandu Jacket which is now older than any other coat I use but I still love it, it cost more at the time but it was the one that fitted me best and looked smart so I wear it all the time. Yes it was expensive as a one off but four years of heavy use later it is still in great condition and I have no intention of replacing it.

If you live near a Decathlon store I would definitely recommend paying a visit, their cheap stuff is decent enough and their top of the kit is excellent and about half the price of a 'brand' of the same features/quality.

It's funny how one group of hobbyists will properly geek out over the minutiae of the kit involved in their activity but then dismiss the kit involved in another group's chosen hobby as being all the same and claiming you're just paying for the name. It's even funnier when in the same post they give a prime example of one of the benefits of buying something other than the cheapest available option...

For general photography use in the "a bit of a wander followed by some standing around" style then yes the cheaper kit will be more than adequate but as you start going further, higher and in crapper weather you'll soon see the benefit of buying something more expensive. That's not to say that the law of diminishing returns doesn't exist but next time you're tempted to say the £20 walking boots are "just as good" as the £200 boots just ask yourself what you'd say if a mountaineer told you that you didn't need the latest F0.7 Nikkor L series prime woteva because the kit lens was just as good and you're basically paying for the fancy colour.

F0.7 Nikkor L series prime woteva because the kit lens was just as good and you're basically paying for the fancy colour.

Which is equally a valid point for many many situations and if you read any of my posts you will see that I apply the same type of recommendations to camera kit (have been though pro FF kit and now using m43).

However, the OP was helpful enough to describe the use scenario and a trip to the Farne Islands in May is hardly Everest base camp.

I've done my fair amount of reasonably hard trekking (e.g. Kilimanjaro, NZ trails, Sapa, Machu Picchu etc) and I've owned an awful lot of different gear and, as with camera gear, it's about knowing what is appropriate for a given situation. For example Machu Picchu is fine in trainers, Kili needs serious hiking boots and good down insulation for the summit (it was -17 when we were there - see my avatar!).

I can tell you that in my experience in all but extreme situations kit that fits well is far more important that a brand or 'special' performance gear - the law of diminishing returns starts far lower than lots of people are made to believe by advertising. Just as with camera gear.

This doesn't mean I don't have good kit but I am aware that it isn't generally necessary, as with 99% of people and their camera gear.

I also do a lot of running (5 marathons so far, countless halfs) and cycling (London - Edinburgh in 4 days) and again, the Decathlon kit has outperformed some of my much more expensive branded kit for half the cost. I am fortunate enough to live near a Decathlon store and now I am past the brand snobbery it is always my first port of call for any 'sports' gear, I don't always buy it from there but it is always worth a look.

edit: Just to add, one of my favourite out-doors things is a pack-kagool and I use it for travelling in Asia as it is handy for the on-off showers you tend to get and stuffs into itself into a nice small package so fits in a bag easily. It is lightly rubberised internally so not the most breathable but is big enough to move freely in (so tend not to boil in the bag), has taped seems, a good hood and so far been 100% waterproof (including a recent visit to Hong Kong where I wore if for around 8 hours in heavy rain). Best thing is that it cost £6.99 in Decathlon.

I also have an expensive Goretex jobbie which I love and use a lot but it just isn't necessary a lot of the time and not so handy for travel.

Edit 2: It's only £5.99 now https://www.decathlon.co.uk/raincut-mens-waterproof-jacket-black-id_8300326.html

Last edited:
And more affordable gear like Regatta and Trespass has come on beyond all recognition from 5 or 10 years ago.

And more affordable gear like Regatta and Trespass has come on beyond all recognition from 5 or 10 years ago.
Regatta yes, Trespass no (imo). Would recommend Mountain Warehouse over Trespass. Also had some good stuff from Karrimore at Sports Direct (and elsewhere), but it's Sports Direct so make your own decision.

If you have a Go Outdoors near you they usually have some good deals - look at the gear they have suggested for Duke of Edinburg award - basic but good quality.

Generally you do get what you pay for, more so in longevity though.

But Farne Isles in May: a pair of good boots, some wind proof trousers, a fleece and a waterproof.

Last edited:
Many thanks everyone for the suggestions i really do appreciate it. I need to speak to the wife as they will be Crimbo presents.

Errrmmm... not sure to be honest, 'derwent' seems to be floating in the old memory bank...

they're green (not that that helps! LOL!) come up to my knee, neoprene (but not fleece lined) with the whole foot area up to ankle waterproofed.

HTH?! :)

Clothing wise - My advice is to go cheap on base layers and fleeces - performance wise there isn't a huge difference between no-brand ones and branded, Berghaus or North Face ones, except that my couple of North Face ones still look pretty much as new after 4 or 5 years of continuous use. Invest everything in a good quality lightweight waterproof breathable "shell". Keeping the rain out is easy. A refuse sack can achieve that! Letting the perspiration out is the key if you intend to do anything active or strenuous in it. I've owned loads of branded and unbranded coats over the years, but the North Face Summit jacket is the best I have ever owned by some distance. Weighs literally grams, rain just beads off it, and the Goretex Active material has performed unbelievably at keeping me sweat free. I have worn it every day without fail for the last 2 years, but it looks like it was purchased last week. In black it is suitable for "town and country" I've even worn it at a funeral. At around £200 its not cheap but I reckon I should get 5 plus years of it - so a bargain really.

Boots wise - I'm about to retire my third pair of Brasher Hillmasters. I have fallen out of love wth them. My first 2 pairs lasted about 6 years each. This third pair has started to leak a little after 2 years and have never been as comfy as the others. Finding a good fit I probably more important than brand or price.

PS. Save some pennies towards your gear by coming to Pembrokeshire instead in June for the puffins!

Last edited:
Weren't Brasher bought by Berghaus a few years ago, explains the sudden drop in quality. A couple of my friends used to swear by them but now have gone elsewhere for boots...

If you have a Mountain Warehouse near you, they are well worth it, reasonable prices and does what it says.
Been out for over 5 hours in waterproof jacket and leggings, in down pour, kept bone dry
Agree with this... some of the isodry stuff is really quite good... not sure how durable it's going to be but kept me dry enough.

get the muck boots they are brilliant keeps your feet warm dry and very comfy
I've got some and find them far too hot for anything other than standing around in water/snow. They are good boots but if you are a warm person and do a bit of moving round, I'd shop around. Wellies with a thinner neoprene lining and think socks is a more versatile option IMO.

Weren't Brasher bought by Berghaus a few years ago, explains the sudden drop in quality. A couple of my friends used to swear by them but now have gone elsewhere for boots...
Many years ago I was on the proving panel for the original Brasher Boots. They were made by K Shoes in Kendal. They were a very good firm making good footwear. They were taken over by Clarke 's (sp? ?) and who now owns the brand I have no idea. Brasher himself may have retained ownership until his death.
The early boots were built to last and they did just that. They weren't particularly sophisticated but they broke the mould of boot design. They were durable and effective at their biggest selling point which was keeping feet dry all day. Believe it or not that was a novelty in the 1980s.
Inevitably they have fallen prey to modern marketing demands and now have the influence of a "designer" who will take precedence. Longevity will also have flown out of the window....repeat orders are more important than old boots wandering the hillsides. .

Last edited:
Although more than the OP's £75 intended budget (Edit: apart from the '3rd party' makes they list on Page3, including a 3 in 1 Craghopper Kiwi for bang on budget!), you could always have a look at some jackets from Country Innovation https://www.countryinnovation.com/jackets?page=1 They seem to be popular with birdwatchers, who I'd imagine are looking for similar features in a jacket as most 'casual' bird photographers. I bought a Falcon jacket from them about 8 years ago and have worn it a lot and have been very pleased with it. So much so that I bought a new one last year, ready for when my first one finally does wear out, and to wear for 'best' as the original one is looking a bit faded now (I usually keep it on the back seat of the car so it's there when I need it, and the sunlight gets on it)! It's a lighter weight jacket and I tend to wear it in spring and autumn as well as for rainy days in summer, it's also almost rustle-free when wearing it, which makes a change from some jackets that sound like crisp packets! However, I've found the downside of the soft, rustle-free fabric is that it tends to rip a bit more easily than a heavy fabric, so keep it away from barbed wire and rose bushes! :whistle: Being happy with the Falcon I've bought a couple of other jackets from CI too, and have been pleased with them too, although I've not worn them as much or owned them for as long as the Falcon. Anyway, I hope this is useful and gives people an alternative to the 'mountaineer/hiker' type look of some of the other jackets that have been suggested. :)

Last edited:
Paramo's not light by any means though, even the Quito which is their lightweight jacket weighs considerably more than many similarly priced Goretex jkts. I had a Quito but only used it a couple of times as it was mostly too hot to wear even in winter but too heavy to carry so I sold it on.

Paramo's not light by any means though, even the Quito which is their lightweight jacket weighs considerably more than many similarly priced Goretex jkts. I had a Quito but only used it a couple of times as it was mostly too hot to wear even in winter but too heavy to carry so I sold it on.

Not sure what model mine is - it has no insulation at all, is exceedingly light and folds down very small.

Paramo is very good indeed. But it's not cheap although it will last far longer than Goretex type jacket. And you can regularly reproof it.
I recently bought a new one. I'd had the old one over 10 years and the only real fault with it was my expanding waistline wouldn't fit into it.
Not light either but get the right jacket and you will find it versatile as you need it to be.
I have the Halcon. Don't look at the price but I'm not intending replacing it - ever. Cost per year is minimal.

Not sure what model mine is - it has no insulation at all, is exceedingly light and folds down very small.

Are you sure it's technically a waterproof? All Paramo waterproofs use a "pump liner" system which is similar in feel/weight to a microfleece, if it doesn't have such a liner it isn't a waterproof as such. They make a really good windproof called the Fuera which looks like a fully fledged waterproof but doesn't have taped seams or the pump liner etc. I use mine quite a bit when I want a mountain jacket but it's unlikely to rain.

Paramo's waterproofing system is definitely a bit marmite, personally I don't like it and I know I'm not alone in that but equally as many people love it.

All the coats at present are fashion based, short and barely over your waist. :thinking:

With a proper 3/4 Gortex coat, a thin Lowe Alpine fleece and a shirt i've been perfectly warm enough throughout many winters while others have moaned about the cold due to there skimpy over priced, over hyped clothing.

Last edited:
All the coats at present are fashion based, short and barely over your waist. :thinking:

With a proper 3/4 Gortex coat, a thin Lowe Alpine fleece and a shirt i've been perfectly warm enough throughout many winters while others have moaned about the cold due to there skimpy over priced, over hyped clothing.

Or alternatively these short skimpy overpriced coats could actually be designed for something else entirely? Biking, climbing, running etc perhaps? The sort of activities where a longer coat is an actual physical encumbrance?

Prob worth thinking things through a bit more before your next emoji filled rantette.

Or alternatively these short skimpy overpriced coats could actually be designed for something else entirely? Biking, climbing, running etc perhaps? The sort of activities where a longer coat is an actual physical encumbrance?

Prob worth thinking things through a bit more before your next emoji filled rantette.
I checked out a few outdoor shops before posting my comment and the majority if not all the advertised stock on the sites are what I described.

However the OP didnt state he was going biking, so keep your cheap pops to yourself Ivan.:wave:

Back