Outdoor clothing. Whys it all so dark?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hopefully posted in the right place.

Looking to get a decent waterproof coat to wear while out taking photos but the thing I have noticed most seem to be black or dark blue/green.

I can understand for wildlife photography this would be best to help blend in. But I am thinking just doing landscape stuff I possibly be better off in a bright colour to make me a bit more visible should I ever get in trouble but the range seems limited.

Whats your budget? There are a few higher end outdoor hiking/walking brands that do brighter colours (red, blues etc). If your budget allows checkout paramo's seconds eBay store. The coats are very good and currently here is an extra 25% off sale too. I just got the wife one recently and I'm yet to find the reason why it's a second.

The other option is to put a survival bag in your camera bag should the worst happen. Usually they are bright red so easy to spot. They are small and cheap too.

Last edited:
Have a look at motorcycle clothing, I figure if a jacket can keep you warm and dry at 70mph in the rain it works great as outdoor clothing. It comes in bright colours to make you be seen.

Motorbike gear probably won't be comfortable for walking about in as that's not what it's designed for., although if you want visibility a hivis waistcoat over a normal outdoor jacket would do the job and be unobstrusive to wear. I have the other problem as a woman trying to buy walking gear - try finding something that isn't white, pink or lilac..................:puke:

Motorbike gear probably won't be comfortable for walking about in as that's not what it's designed for., although if you want visibility a hivis waistcoat over a normal outdoor jacket would do the job and be unobstrusive to wear. I have the other problem as a woman trying to buy walking gear - try finding something that isn't white, pink or lilac..................:puke:

Try https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ they do a great inexpensive range in darker colours and they do what it says on the label

Whats your budget? There are a few higher end outdoor hiking/walking brands that do brighter colours (red, blues etc). If your budget allows checkout paramo's seconds eBay store. The coats are very good and currently here is an extra 25% off sale too. I just got the wife one recently and I'm yet to find the reason why it's a second.

The other option is to put a survival bag in your camera bag should the worst happen. Usually they are bright red so easy to spot. They are small and cheap too.

Thanks will have a look at those and possibly a survival bag. Budget is about £150 for a waterproof jacket and a fleece to wear under it. Seen a few items in Cotswolds outdoor sale but none in stock in my local store.

If its safety thats a concern, why not pack a high viz vest into your camera bag, or wear some of the reflective stuff that runners/dog walkers use at night?

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks

I've just bought a decent jacket. Looking at various ranges they all seem to be available in bright colours? For example

https://rab.equipment/uk/mens/insulation/

Will have a look at those thanks.

Ended up popping into my local Cotswold outdoors on the way home from work. Found a nice waterproof coat and fleece but only dark colours in stock. Quick look on their website and I have got the waterproof coat coming in a brighter colour.

Look on line for sailing gear. There is usually a great range of styles, weight's and levels of weather resistance. Lots of bright colours too!

e.g.https://slamuk.com

Goretex and fur lined Orange hi viz coat with reflective bands.

Wonderfully warm, very durable and tough. Would not going for compromises, as staying warm and dry is essential when out and about. Places like Arco stock them, http://www.arco.co.uk/products/18G2000?s=1 or maybe your employer provides them as safety gear.

Try it first , some realise so called internet bargains may not be as robust.

Very useful on industrial sites or if your car breaks down too. Some industrial sites/clients require you to wear them if you are doing a job for them.

Huge pockets and the reflective bands to p* off your photo colleagues as it will be picked up by any flash lighting ;)

Last edited:
I'd recommend the high viz vest option if you're worried about that. This gives you the flexibility to wear whatever you need depending on the temperature and other conditions. Also, I'm a fan of second hand. I picked up a parka for really cold weather for a small fraction of the new price.

White, pink and lilac look good in the kitchen...

:D

I wear a dayglow orange work jacket waterproof and. Day glow green thinsulate hat.
I would have to be the unluckiest man on earth not to be seen by motorists or a search team in the advent of being in difficulty :(:LOL:
Mind you I bet other togs hate it if I intrude into there picture or Landscape

Last edited:
I wear a dayglow orange work jacket waterproof and. Day glow green thinsulate hat.
I would have to be the unluckiest man on earth not to be seen by motorists or a search team in the advent of being in difficulty :(:LOL:
Mind you I bet other togs hate it if I intrude into there picture or Landscape

Exactly, my mate and I always seem to have an otherwise excellent landscape scene compromised by someone wearing a day glow jacket who seems to just hang about in the scene. It's become a standing joke with us, we joke that there is a group of folk who wear dayglow and deliberately hang around good photography locations just to be annoying.:mad::p:D

Exactly, my mate and I always seem to have an otherwise excellent landscape scene compromised by someone wearing a day glow jacket who seems to just hang about in the scene. It's become a standing joke with us, we joke that there is a group of folk who wear dayglow and deliberately hang around good photography locations just to be annoying.:mad::p:D
You'll just have to "take care of" them then. Here's some inspiration:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/car-vandalised-for-not-being-picturesque.646770/

Outdoor clothing, why's it all so dark? :confused: To stop us country-folk getting abducted by aliens or eaten by werewolves and pumas of course. :D

The bright stuff is generally yh good hill walking stuff. My lsd has a great jacket but it's 300 quid.
Rsb jackets are great. Can be had in all colours or just get something you like, fits etc and a cheap fluorescent jacket

A strange thread ... the complaint always used to be where can I find a jacket in a neutral colour!

Someone needs to know that you're in
Hopefully posted in the right place.

Looking to get a decent waterproof coat to wear while out taking photos but the thing I have noticed most seem to be black or dark blue/green.

I can understand for wildlife photography this would be best to help blend in. But I am thinking just doing landscape stuff I possibly be better off in a bright colour to make me a bit more visible should I ever get in trouble but the range seems limited.

Surely someone needs to know you've in trouble and there's a need to look for you? Assuming you'll be conscious, a phone, a torch and possibly one of those transponders skiers wear? In any event, if you're out alone and away from people you should have someone who knows generally where you'll be, and an agreed check-in routine by phone/time.

Or, check out aids for people who are prone to falls etc that automatically phone an alert to a monitoring centre.

For night-time winter sea fishing I use a floatation jacket. Nothing better for keeping dry and warm, but probably too bulky for photography. Not the best if you're walking any distance either, it can get a little too warm. Most of these jackets have hi-viz patches all over them, and usually come with a whistle to attract attention in case you end up bobbing about in the water !

If its safety thats a concern, why not pack a high viz vest into your camera bag, or wear some of the reflective stuff that runners/dog walkers use at night?
Alternatively/better, carry a couple of the foil reflective blanket in your pockets, the ones used to wrap casualties. They fold up to nothing and cost virtually nothing, so if you get into trouble they will both keep you warm and make you highly visible.
Also, consider carrying at least 2 red smoke flares, to be deployed when people are close enough to see them.

Extreme? In the past I've needed to use both a foil blanket and flares, when someone else has needed help. The flares I carried were for marine use, these are very expensive to replace and so I now only have leisure ones, used for paintball and similar, not as good but very cheap.

Someone needs to know that you're in

Surely someone needs to know you've in trouble and there's a need to look for you? Assuming you'll be conscious, a phone, a torch and possibly one of those transponders skiers wear? In any event, if you're out alone and away from people you should have someone who knows generally where you'll be, and an agreed check-in routine by phone/time.

Or, check out aids for people who are prone to falls etc that automatically phone an alert to a monitoring centre.

I always make sure someone knows where I am and what time I should be back by.

Alternatively/better, carry a couple of the foil reflective blanket in your pockets, the ones used to wrap casualties. They fold up to nothing and cost virtually nothing, so if you get into trouble they will both keep you warm and make you highly visible.
Also, consider carrying at least 2 red smoke flares, to be deployed when people are close enough to see them.

Extreme? In the past I've needed to use both a foil blanket and flares, when someone else has needed help. The flares I carried were for marine use, these are very expensive to replace and so I now only have leisure ones, used for paintball and similar, not as good but very cheap.

Got some of those foil blankets in the car for emergency's might need to get a few more to pop a spare in my camera bag.

Back