Outdoor model shoot - in January!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Its fair to say that models in general are up for anything, but Stacie here didn't bat an eyelid at the 0-2 degrees, rain, sleet & snow with a strong freezing breeze !!!

In fact, I had to insist she wore warm clothing and even then we had to provide her with an extra coat too lol

We met at a ruined mushroom farm near Selby for a 4-hour shoot in total, in fact it lasted a little over 2 hours as we were all wet & cold and had to nip back to a mate's house to warm up. By we, I mean 5 togs - Top Tip - NEVER organise a shoot for that many and especially when you don't know 2 of them!

This wasn't a formal shoot with someone in charge, so places to shoot were by mutual agreement and that led to some issues ;)

Anyway, here's a taste of what we got up to...

Starting under the holey roof to avoid some of the rain, then saying 'Sod it' and accepting we'd get wet for the 'apocalypse' area, and finally in a half roofed building. The first 3 are all simple OCF with a bare speedlight (no modifiers), the last 3 are just ambient

Its a FAB place to shoot and especially on a warmer day lol

Outdoor portraits by David Goodier Photography - -002.jpg Outdoor portraits by David Goodier Photography - -005.jpg Outdoor portraits by David Goodier Photography - -017.jpg Outdoor portraits by David Goodier Photography - -030.jpg Outdoor portraits by David Goodier Photography - -033.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Saw these on Facebook and stepped away from blowing smoke up your arse.

Great set Dave (best you’ve done IMHO) and I wish I’d come along.

Very nice set, apart from No1 & 3 they are well processed & presented. :cool:

How many legs has she got in No1. and what is wrong in the background ?:confused:

Last edited:
Great set Dave.

I don't think it is the sky in the first one, isn't it something in the foreground that is really oof? Still a good shot.

Saw these on Facebook and stepped away from blowing smoke up your arse.

Great set Dave (best you’ve done IMHO) and I wish I’d come along.

You were on the call list Phil, and I'd have MUCH preferred your good self to one of the others at least lol - next time maybe

Dave

Great set Dave.

I don't think it is the sky in the first one, isn't it something in the foreground that is really oof? Still a good shot.

Very nice set, apart from No1 & 3 they are well processed & presented. :cool:

How many legs has she got in No1. and what is wrong in the background ?:confused:

The weird sky in 1 is weeds that I'm shooting through that are very close to the lens, so yes they are well OoF - I guess the idea didn't work as well for you guys as it did for me in my head :D

Loving the multiple legs now, but its a breeze block - honestly it is :D

Dave

Ah suddenly, that makes sense now shooting through weeds. Nope don't think it works as it looks like something in the background
Love the colours in 3,4&5. With the lighting it just accentuates the model.

Last edited:

I'd go for the three last… better skin highlights control.

I like them all but if I had to choose one it would be.

Superb shots, 4 & 5 for me :)

My favorite is the B&W conversion, with #5 close behind... those are very nice.

My problem with the rest is that I'm not getting the concept/coherent message from them... it's like the pose/outfit/setting don't go together cohesively (or in complete contrast). I would say #4 is close, the pose/composition/setting seem to work well, just not quite the outfit (IMO).

My problem with the rest is that I'm not getting the concept/coherent message from them... it's like the pose/outfit/setting don't go together cohesively (or in complete contrast). I would say #4 is close, the pose/composition/setting seem to work well, just not quite the outfit (IMO).

Good point (y) - our original idea was for complete contrast between beauty of the model (inc. outfit) and ugly environment, but given we needed to keep her warm and we had to leave clothing choice to her with the primary aim of keeping her warm this was what we were presented with. We actually cut the shoot well short on time too for the sake of the cold, so decided on it being more of a recce for a warmer reshoot :)

Dave

I figured as much... This kind of thing will probably be a recurring issue. It's practically unavoidable until you get to the point of having wardrobe/makeup/designers all involved.

True - but this is just a few pals getting together for a play around, we do it a couple of times a year, and usually (but not this time) lots of beer follows lol

Thanks for commenting

Dave

Back