Outraging public decency

IanC_UK said:
Do we know what this guy actually got for this by the way ? lol

He was given a conditional discharge.

If I was the sort of person to crack explicit puns I might say that he'd been after a discharge of an entirely different sort. But I'm not, so I won't.

The problem is that most magistraits are Mail reading right wing fashists.

Not that I'm one to generalise you understand, as I've always said 'There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that don't'.

No, don't get up, I've already got it :coat:

I agree that magistrates aren't the most representative chunk of society but they're frequently lied to by police officers appearing in court and there's not much they can do about it. They have to take the word of an officer as gospel unless there's evidence to the contrary, which there usually isn't.

I couldn't comment on that mate as I only have the Mail to go on.

fingerz said:
2) Paps get away with upskirting every night of the week outside London clubs. I just figured that if it was illegal, surely someone would've complained about it over the years.

If someone complains - they get prsecuted. By and large the folks being photographed are there because they want to be photographed...

No, no, no publicity!...oh all right then if you must...

I don’t know if any of you watch that series that followed “The Big Picture Co” which is a photography company that employs photographers all over the world to snap world exclusive picture and offer them to the world’s press on a strictly highest bidder basis. Anyway the program followed the boss and several photographers that were on the books in their daily jobs, some were doing prestigious shows and catwalks etc while others where snooping around the perimeters of famous peoples houses and waiting outside nightclubs for drunk celebrities. In one show it covered the “up skirt” shot and plainly showed that they are set up and agreed with the celebrity prior to being shot. One new paparazzi made the mistake of jumping in there and shoving his camera up someone’s skirt, this angered the celebrity no end and she then became very unhelpful. The many other photographers that had grouped waiting for possible shots where none to pleased either as this one clown had now ruined any chances of them getting pictures as well.

The thing is that up skirt shots in general are not caught spontaneously as we are led to believe. That’s probably why you don’t see or hear of paparazzi being prosecuted for those shots.

I think the series was called Paparazzi, wasn't it? On BBC Three. I did see a couple of episodes and I recall seeing most of the episode you mention but I didn't catch all of it and I think I must've missed the stuff about arranging these things in advance.

Although I did see some of the pre-arranged stuff where it was set up to look like they'd got candids on a beach but it was all agreed. They even had someone holding one of those reflective things to fill in the shadows (what are they called? Big silver disc things. And how much do they cost?).

There's definitely more than meets the eye.

fingerz said:
I think the series was called Paparazzi, wasn't it? On BBC Three. I did see a couple of episodes and I recall seeing most of the episode you mention but I didn't catch all of it and I think I must've missed the stuff about arranging these things in advance.

Yeah thats the one

fingerz said:
Although I did see some of the pre-arranged stuff where it was set up to look like they'd got candids on a beach but it was all agreed. They even had someone holding one of those reflective things to fill in the shadows (what are they called? Big silver disc things. And how much do they cost?).

Those big reflective silver disc things are called...reflectors. cost wise they are not as expensive as you may think and they also come in many different shapes and sizes, some even fold so that you can fit then into your backpack and enable you to use tham for fill in light on loactions. Stuff like Small flower shots and close portrait photography can be massively imporved with their use. Warehouse Express stock a full range if you are interested. One of the better known makes is Listerlite.

fingerz said:
Isn't there always?

Yup Steve I caught quite a bit of that series, although I must have missed the explanation of the upskirt setups. I did see the one on the beach though.

I must admit although quite exciting when it comes off, it's not an area of photography I would wish to make money from. I'm too blind to see things I suppose. I could walk past a celebrity and not realise until it's pointed out to me :D

As far as I can see, being a pap is 90% about knowing the addresses of celebs and where they shop/holiday/eat/drink. The rest of it is 5% luck, 3% having some expensive kit and 2% photographic skill.

fingerz, that is pretty much how I see it. I suppose I would rate the photographic skills a little higher, but that's just me.

I would split it up as follows :

40% celeb knowledge, 5% luck, 5%kit, 10% skill and the rest having the balls to shove your camera in peoples faces and not worry if you're being annoying or intrusive.

I think you are both overrating the skill of these photographers ;)

Its nearly all planning and scheming to actually get the shot, the shot itself if not preplanned is usually a hold the camera up in the air and use machine gun rapid fire and "hope" something comes out ! lol :coat::coat:

Actually some of them are very fine photographers - just because someone's 'work' doesn't conform to your own aesthetic principles doesn't make them bad snappers.
Some of my work images are pretty poor in strictly photographic terms - remember the market that these guys supply isn't interested in arty images - light, bright and upright in true tabloid fashion.
Their purpose is to put bread on the family table, pure and simple.
I think some of you should try doing that type of work before criticising another's choice of career.

fingerz said:
Ah come on Arkady, we were only having a laugh. It wasn't proper criticism. My 20D spends the majority of its life in 'P' mode, for starters.

Yes unfortunately it was all in jest ! Hence the ;) :coat:etc !

Hell, if i got upset about jokes about my job (in IT) and being called a geek, i think i would give up now ! lol :coat:

Heheheheh ;)

Err I just pressed CTRL - ALT - DELETE and a funny box came up :whistling

Now my fingers are hurting, am I doing something wrong? :whistling

fingerz said:

With this "cover everything" offence, and the "Can't be bothered" (which is kinda what a conditional discharge is really) conviction from the court, I imagine that if the program was not on tv, the police would of told her to go home and cover her ass if she did'nt want it photographed, and nothing more would of been said, other than maybe warning the bloke.

If you have a film crew with you your bound to do anything possible to make yourself look like a "by the book" officer, and what better way to do it, than with a damsel in distress.

Fly on the wall is never that, as I'm sure the current or Ex members of the police who frequent here would have noticed.

Fly on the wall ? pfft, fly on bullship!

That post came with a Group Hug - I'm never, ever one to put in a stern, angry post...

Just that having stood in the rain outside the Law Courts with some of those guys on a placement with PA, I realised what an utterly sh1tty job it really is. You're seldom, if ever going to get any really great images and the money is really p1$$-poor. You're never indoors for more than ten minutes before you're off to the next job - all contact is by mobile and you edit on the go in whatever coffee shop is nearest.
My abiding memory of that fortnight was the way the guys checked the dailies every day to see if their images had been published.
"Thank God for that!" one of them remarked on seeing his picture across two pages in The Guardian: "I can do the shopping this weekend..." He was only half-joking.

Back