Outside My Comfort Zone.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a bit of free time on Sunday afternoon so a mate and I decided to try for a few shots of him on his bike doing what he does. Luckily his wife is a photographer so I borrowed here flashgun and we headed to Trowbarrow quarry near Silverdale.

I've read a wee bit on flash photography but never really taken anything in, so for the first half an hour results were poor to say the least. After plenty of trial and error I managed to capture these.

3. Decided to have a bit of fun with the processing on this one.

I'm quite pleased with these as usually I stick to landscapes. It was fun doing something completely different for a change, although I now think flash photography is some kind of dark art :)

Anyway I've found another area of photography to have a crack at, a flashgun is in the post as we speak. Feel free to offer any advice or C&C as I know there is a lot to learn.

like the first one - very dramatic - good use of the 10mm lens - and subtle use of the flash. Flash is a litle too heavy in #2 and there is a lot of space round the subject.

I think you've done a good job with these

number one is the better one for me though , excellent lighting and composition

Hi Benroy

Very good effort there.
First know next to nothing about lighting, but...
As said, No1 looks tops.
Very engaging angle with lots of interest.
No2 maybe just too far away from bike for max impact.
Last. Looks pretty good. Maybe tempted to crop a fraction off bottom and right to get in a little closer. Biggest issue though is colour doesn't look quite there and this is the first think that I see when viewing. I'd be tempted to play around with it to see what happens. Sorry, can't give any ideas of how to go about this, just experiment.

I think you've done a good job with these

number one is the better one for me though , excellent lighting and composition

Thanks Mrgas, number 1 is my favourite aswell (y)

Hi Benroy

Very good effort there.
As said, No1 looks tops.
Last. Looks pretty good. Maybe tempted to crop a fraction off bottom and right to get in a little closer. Biggest issue though is colour doesn't look quite there and this is the first think that I see when viewing. I'd be tempted to play around with it to see what happens. Sorry, can't give any ideas of how to go about this, just experiment.

Thanks for your thoughts Rockshifter. I agree with your comments on number 2. Stepping back to get in the sky has lost all impact, it doesn't even look like he's mid jump.
I think my PP can account for the colours of No3. It was intentional, whether or not it works is another matter :D

Cheers.........Ben

Love 1 & 3

I like what you have done to no.3

It makes the original look a little plain. You seem to have teased detail out in the clouds that was lost in the original. Toning down his top has helped the overall look of the shot and made it a little more edgy, but I think it would benefit from a little more colour being introduced into the sky.

Definitely on the right road.

No2 was unfortunate timing where the wheels appear to be on the floor behind. Bet you couldn't do that again if you tried :D

Graham

Hi Benroy

Very good effort there.
As said, No1 looks tops.

THis sums up exactly my thoughts about a very interesting set!

#1 has real oomph and I love it! :D

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'll have another play with number 3 to try and get a bit more colour into the sky.

I found another one from the same set, ever so slightly different to number 1 but with a little more impact?

nice. what lens did you use?

#1 and last posted for me nice shots. Want to jump out of the way.

michaala:wave:

Thanks for your comments chaps and chapesses

#1 and last posted for me nice shots. Want to jump out of the way.

I had to take evasive action a few times. That's the problem with 10mm lenses, you think everything is further away than it actually is.

Back