Outsourcing retouching - recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry edwards uses a place which is extremely cheap, i did have the link, but can't find it now, maybe give him a shout. Personally i do like to do my own, as i like to think it's all part of the process, and it also helps me to learn new things in PS trying different ways etc, but obviously this doesn't work for everyone :)

You're clearly a better retoucher than most photographers I know of, because I definitely don't see that job as a few minutes work and I'm frankly gobsmacked that after 10 years of editing weddings I still only have a basic grasp of Photoshop:thinking:

Although tbh, I've shot nowhere near as many weddings as Ryan or Jonathan who presumably have similar skills:nuts: And I know at least one full time wedding pro here who outsources all his initial editing.

I have to ask though: Have you been smoking something Andy, or have you left your account open whilst your douche bag mate was left in the room? Because this looks nothing like your usual postings :thinking:

I must be tired mate... going on holiday on Friday so maybe once I'm back my posts will be all nice and polite again :D

I still don't see it as a good business model for a freelance tog not to learn photoshop enough to edit out that tattoo and paying for outsourcing though tbh. I could have edited that out in half the time it took the OP to post this thread and then contact the recommended company, and I just kind of presumed us togs would all have enough of a grounding in the software we use to be able to do so too. I'm clearly wrong.

Shame I lost track of this thread and have no idea what all the deleted posts said... I'm guessing maybe though that's for the best :LOL:

I still don't see it as a good business model for a freelance tog not to learn photoshop enough to edit out that tattoo and paying for outsourcing though tbh. I could have edited that out in half the time it took the OP to post this thread and then contact the recommended company, and I just kind of presumed us togs would all have enough of a grounding in the software we use to be able to do so too. I'm clearly wrong.

The amount of time and effort that I'd have to spend learning PS to do a proper job is far more than the very rare occasions that I actually have to pay someone to do it. So it's just not worth it. I've spent the time becoming expert in Lightroom instead.

It's no different to a photographer 30 years ago not wanting to spend the time learning how to develop in a darkroom.

The amount of time and effort that I'd have to spend learning PS to do a proper job is far more than the very rare occasions that I actually have to pay someone to do it. So it's just not worth it. I've spent the time becoming expert in Lightroom instead.

It's no different to a photographer 30 years ago not wanting to spend the time learning how to develop in a darkroom.

I start my new job teaching photography tomorrow and I can guarantee 'not learning PS and farming it out to a 3rd party' won't be part of the curriculum ;)

Anyway we're going round in circles... no-one will ever convince me not being proficient in PS is a good move for a freelance tog, and I won't convince you to learn it... time to move on before more posts get deleted by the mods :D

Ok - here's one for you then Andy.

I last opened Photoshop in 2009. In the meantime I've shot around 140 weddings. I've paid precisely zero to anyone for post-processing.

So why would I need to spend the time?

I start my new job teaching photography tomorrow and I can guarantee 'not learning PS and farming it out to a 3rd party' won't be part of the curriculum ;)

Yeah my lecturers taught me Ancient Greek and Cobol. Both are about as dead as each other. Teaching is always behind the real world ;)

Crucial business lesson for anyone there - do what you're good at and can make money doing. Pay other people to do the stuff you're crap at or don't like.

Actually that's a decent rule for life.

The amount of time and effort that I'd have to spend learning PS to do a proper job is far more than the very rare occasions that I actually have to pay someone to do it. So it's just not worth it. I've spent the time becoming expert in Lightroom instead..

Bang on.

This was the first time in nearly five years I've had to outsource some photoshop work. At £15 I think my business will just about cope.

When you're students are bored to tears and just want to shoot some cool stuff send them to me and I'll see if I can enthuse them somewhat.

Poor sods :shake:

I'm an awesome teacher, you can't judge my ability in my profession based on a few posts on an Internet forum so don't even go there :nono:

You based my ability as a professional photographer on a few internet posts. But you went there. With both boots.

You based my ability as a professional photographer on a few internet posts. But you went there. With both boots.

Really? I think you're taking my surprise that some pro togs can't use photoshop a bit too personally... At no point did I criticise your work, I haven't even seen any of your work to comment.

No wonder so many of your posts get deleted by the mods.

I photoshop all my own stuff, I can only wish and pray the day will come for me to outsource it as that means ill be taking photos instead.
I'm sure pretty much everyone on here knows how to use photoshop , maybe they are that busy they don't have to just and I can only admire them.

Really? I think you're taking my surprise that some pro togs can't use photoshop a bit too personally... At no point did I criticise your work, I haven't even seen any of your work to comment.

No wonder so many of your posts get deleted by the mods.

It was aimed at me though wasn't it.

And to suggest the work I needed doing means "I can't use photoshop" is a rather daft generalisation.

My posts get deleted because I can't suffer fools. And I bet half the time they get deleted even when the mods agree with me (but not necessarily the way I say it).

I photoshop all my own stuff, I can only wish and pray the day will come for me to outsource it as that means ill be taking photos instead.
I'm sure pretty much everyone on here knows how to use photoshop , maybe they are that busy they don't have to just and I can only admire them.

EXACTLY Stuart. Less time in front of the computer and more time shooting. And yes I've been incredibly busy this past 6 months. Outsourcing those tattoos was the best £15 I ever spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back