Over crowded Iceland

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Just watched a news piece on YouTube about tourism in Iceland and how booming it is, so much so they are struggling to keep up with demand. Anyway they had some video of the more popular places and dear God it was like Brighton beach on the first warm day of the year. Just too many people!

Iceland is on my bucket list but perhaps I should bump it down to below the Fareo islands

Just watched a news piece on YouTube about tourism in Iceland and how booming it is, so much so they are struggling to keep up with demand. Anyway they had some video of the more popular places and dear God it was like Brighton beach on the first warm day of the year. Just too many people!

Iceland is on my bucket list but perhaps I should bump it down to below the Fareo islands

Visit Iceland. Hire a vehicle and head out into the real country, the less populated areas. Go when it is quieter in the year. I have been in March and July and whilst there were people sharing the popular places, I also found myself wandering around the town of Hofn completely alone as the sun came up in the morning, whilst the silence and the cold air from the sea kept me company. It was magical.

Who want's to do all the touristy stuff anyway? :) You won;t regret a trip to Iceland.

I've been three times in the past 18 months. The first time I went was over Feb half term (Valentines weekend) and it was rammed around the 'Golden Triangle'. We headed down to Jokularson and Vik and they were both empty, along with a few nights own Snaefelsness. When I went back in the April, it was quiet, and again in April this year. Had quite a few places to myself away from the 'Golden Circle' - don't forget a lot of tour companies offer day trips from Reykjavik to Gulfoss, Seljalandsfoss, Geysir, and Skogafoss, so these places naturally become busier.

Head out to these places as early in the morning, or late in the evening, as you can and you should be ok, otherwise, head to the South East or North.

I had a work trip there in December. It is true they are having a real tourism boom at the moment. There are millions of places to visit away from the daily tours. Avoid the golden triangle, hire a car and go forth and explore. The whole place is spectacular. If you need any guide books drop me a mail.

It's on my bucket list, but want to plan it as well as possible and maybe try and find a time to go when it's less crowded but places are still accessible. I'm guessing deep winter isn't the best time.

Went there a few months ago and have to say, saw very few toggers and it wasn't busy at all.

Looking to go back maybe next November......I want some snow :)

Cheers.

First went in 2006 and 2007 and having been 4 times in the past 3 years (didnt then go back til 2013) - the amount of people has def sky rocketed, and it is a little sad in that respect (as a tourist i am obviously contributing so i am one to talk). Was there 2 weeks ago and in terms of photography, at all the 'usual' spots it was def hard to get away from people, but I think it is possible - early and late things seemed to die down a bit, and i think walking beyond where tour buses and people in a rush can get on their limited time at a stop will equal less people. Hiring a car will help to get to places where there are less people, the tourists spots are good to do but maybe for photography other spots are needed. One of the waterfalls i went to which is not as well known, there were about 3 people there when i got there and an icelandic guy (who i guess was running a private tour or photo tour) who'd I'd just seen at 'the last big waterfall' asked me how i knew about it as he said previously, no one knew about it and he was seeing more and more people, the internet i guess. the plane wreck i especially wish i had known about in 2007, as altho i was expecting it to be busy, it was far busier than i imagined it would be, but did thin out as it got later, but it would have been deserted before. The Snæfellsnes peninsula seems to be less likley to feature in peoples plans for shorter trips than the golden circle. Or i'd be tempted to spend more time in the north.

Lots of research into tourist alternatives and go for as long as possible. I only went for a few days so it was certainly frustrating not being able to wait for lulls in the people.

As an Iceland obsessive, i'd urge you not to rule it out but just maybe approach from a different perspective.

what annoyed me more what peoples blatant disregard for signs saying to stay off certain areas due to ecological damage and the need for things such as the "dont poo here" sign! (which i forgot to get a photo of)

We are going in February. But worried about crowds so hiring a 4x4 and heading along the south coast as far as vestrahorn mountain and back again. Hopefully by overnighting at somewhere like skogafoss we can be there outside of the tourist buses which I understand still turn up during the day in the winter!

@Craig_85 I was reading a blog which said that it's least busy early on, before the tour buses have time to get over from RVK. When i was there a couple of weeks ago, i was whistle stopping the south coast and it was busy at Skogafoss, Sejlandafoss, plane wreck, ice beach (less busy if you walk further up), ice lagoon (less busy at the smaller lagoon that a few km west) - but didn't go any further than that. there was quite a lot of people camping at Skogafoss as I was there into early morning for the lights so there's that to consider (might be less camping but still camper vans). i can recommend the guest hosue KosyVik i stayed at in Vik if it's available. Hopefully less busy in Feb than when i went which is tail end of busy season i guess. Be interesting to see! If you've not already booked your car, I was happy with blue car rental & geyisr - good price with all insurances.

We are going in February. But worried about crowds so hiring a 4x4 and heading along the south coast as far as vestrahorn mountain and back again. Hopefully by overnighting at somewhere like skogafoss we can be there outside of the tourist buses which I understand still turn up during the day in the winter!

Officially, there's no camping at Skogafoss. I did airport to Jokulsarlon in one evening (about 6 hours) and arrived around 11pm, just in time for the Northern Lights to start (10 minutes later, it clouded over!), so it's doable to go a bit farther, plus then it's only an hour on to Vestrahorn.

@Impspeed really? there were at least 10 tents there a couple of weeks ago! naughty.

its def doable to go airport to the lagoon (especially if you get an easyjet early morning flight), but not there and back on one day, well its still doable but it wouldnt be much fun....

@Impspeed really? there were at least 10 tents there a couple of weeks ago! naughty.

its def doable to go airport to the lagoon (especially if you get an easyjet early morning flight), but not there and back on one day, well its still doable but it wouldnt be much fun....

I went in a small Transit Connect camper on my last two trips, both in March (was down to -18c on a few nights), and a lot of places have signs saying no overnight camping. Even Jokulsarlon, however I did still camp there. I guess it's more of an issue during summer.

I got in to KEF around 3pm, then had to go and pick up the camper, so got on the road after shopping in Bonus around 6pm. Definitely wouldn't do the return journey in one day.

oh Bonus how i love that pig.

not really a camper/camping person so i guess i've not taken much notice. -18, chilly :)

I adore Iceland, went for the first time this year in March having heard a lot about it from friends that work there and I really want to go back, the wildlife and landscapes are incredible (so amazing they even tempted me into trying my hand at landscape pics!)

We definately went the route less travelled and headed to the Snaefellsness peninsular, mainly because I wanted to catch the orca that hunt there at that time of the year. We barely saw anyone, was almost spooky! We did drive as far as Vik on the south coast in the end but soon headed back to Snaefellsness as it just knocked the socks off everywhere else for us, the landscapes are stunning almost where ever you go but there were no crowds, barely any people really and all the locals there were so friendly.

We did not hire a 4x4 and stayed in hostels. We were fine with the car despite a lot of snow/ice in the mountains, a few white knuckle moments going over the snaefellsness pass (nervous probably due to our inexperience driving in snow than any real risk!) but we didn't try anything silly so didn't get stuck.

That time of year you can beat the crowds even at popular places like the geysirs (to see strokkur errupt). We got there as soon as the park opened and got the geysir to ourselves for half an hour! Was extremely cold though XD

I adore Iceland, went for the first time this year in March having heard a lot about it from friends that work there and I really want to go back, the wildlife and landscapes are incredible (so amazing they even tempted me into trying my hand at landscape pics!)

We definately went the route less travelled and headed to the Snaefellsness peninsular, mainly because I wanted to catch the orca that hunt there at that time of the year. We barely saw anyone, was almost spooky! We did drive as far as Vik on the south coast in the end but soon headed back to Snaefellsness as it just knocked the socks off everywhere else for us, the landscapes are stunning almost where ever you go but there were no crowds, barely any people really and all the locals there were so friendly.

We did not hire a 4x4 and stayed in hostels. We were fine with the car despite a lot of snow/ice in the mountains, a few white knuckle moments going over the snaefellsness pass (nervous probably due to our inexperience driving in snow than any real risk!) but we didn't try anything silly so didn't get stuck.

That time of year you can beat the crowds even at popular places like the geysirs (to see strokkur errupt). We got there as soon as the park opened and got the geysir to ourselves for half an hour! Was extremely cold though XD

Been to Snaefellsnes every trip now - you're right, it's stunning. We went first to see the Orca but the boat was cancelled three days we were there due to high winds. We were lucky enough to stay in Hotel Budir though, which was easily the best hotel on the island (better than Ranga!) We need up seeing Orca from the coastal road around Vatnsnesvegur and then seeing Blue Whales out of Husavik!

I've driven the island in Skoda Superb 4x4, Yeti 4x4 and a Transit Connect 2wd. I always feel safer in the 4wd, but as confidence builds up, I've never had a problem in the Connect.

@Impspeed I really want to get back to Husavik, stayed there one night in 7 day trip in 2007, in a really nice hotel that had whale benches and whale paintings, but we were on;y there over night and the morning we left wasnt good for whale watching. People ask me "havent you seen everything in iceland now" as i've been quite a few times - but i could easily fill a couple of months!! I am however a complete wuss at winter driving and the fact that im usually by myself. just need a 'rent a friend' who would like to drive me around :)

I'm currently in Vik, we flew in on Thursday, stayed at Selfoss and we're heading to Hofn today. The place seems rammed compared to our previous visit in 2007. Most of the people we see out and about appear to be American or Chinese, so I wonder whether Iceland is being marketed more heavily, or becoming better known in those countries. We drove past the DC-3 crash site on Saturday afternoon and there were in excess of 50 cars, vans and minibuses parked at the roadside. Skogafoss never had less than 20 people standing in front of it during the several visits we've made so far. We had an idea to come back in June and be nocturnal in order to avoid the worst of the crowds at the popular sites.

@Impspeed I really want to get back to Husavik, stayed there one night in 7 day trip in 2007, in a really nice hotel that had whale benches and whale paintings, but we were on;y there over night and the morning we left wasnt good for whale watching. People ask me "havent you seen everything in iceland now" as i've been quite a few times - but i could easily fill a couple of months!! I am however a complete wuss at winter driving and the fact that im usually by myself. just need a 'rent a friend' who would like to drive me around :)

I'm currently planning a build for a Merc Sprinter 4x4 camper. Plan being to leave it in Iceland for 6 months and use it whenever I can get over, part of winter and all summer. There's so much I've not seen in the interior of the country.

I'm currently in Vik, we flew in on Thursday, stayed at Selfoss and we're heading to Hofn today. The place seems rammed compared to our previous visit in 2007. Most of the people we see out and about appear to be American or Chinese, so I wonder whether Iceland is being marketed more heavily, or becoming better known in those countries. We drove past the DC-3 crash site on Saturday afternoon and there were in excess of 50 cars, vans and minibuses parked at the roadside. Skogafoss never had less than 20 people standing in front of it during the several visits we've made so far. We had an idea to come back in June and be nocturnal in order to avoid the worst of the crowds at the popular sites.

IcelandAir are really pushing the country to the US with their #MyStopover campaign on social media. If you book a flight with IcelandAir out of the States to Europe, you can stay in Iceland for up to 5 days without paying anything extra in air fare.

I'm just glad I went when it was quieter, if it is getting that bad. I drove to the DC-3 site and had the place to myself.

Wow have started doing Stopover offers as well. I'm amazed there are so many Americans, given its even more expensive for them than for US! I couldnt believe how many people were buying icelandic sweaters, they are so pricey!

There were about 30 cars at the side of the road when i went to the plane wreck, i went about 530, ready for sunset, it did peter off after a while, and I was about the last car to leave, but I was expecting it to be busy, but just not that busy (i felt silly thinking i'd been worried about finding it). I have a photo of Skogafoss from 2007 with no one in front of it and that seems impossible now.

@julianhj visiting the sites in 24 hour day light in the middle of the night is def an attractive prospect (apart from the prices)

@Impspeed wish i wasnt such a wuss about winter or 'scary' driving, im just not confident. can i come with you :p ha

Went last year in Feb over half term and found it very busy at Gulfoss,Geysir, quite busy at Vik but not too bad, not too bad at Jokulsarlon either - it's just a very popular place for togs!

Back