Oxford Companion to Beer.

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
A rare opportunity for me talk about photography and beer at the same time!

ocb3 by adrianfoden, on Flickr

After a dayjob I spend much of my spare time out and about shooting... and after that I make a bit of beer in my downtime. It's another hobby that I'm reasonably serious about and after quite a few years I'm very pleased with what I brew up at home.

So, two and a half years ago I blogged an episode where I'd germinated and malted some raw barley, kilned it, roasted different quantities of it to make an English ale... and took a few photos along the way.

To cut a (long!) story short one of the photos has made its way into print. Not only that but I got a full page, full colour plate.

ocb6 by adrianfoden, on Flickr

Strange to think that of all the thousands of shots I've taken this one fleeting, unthinking snap has gained some currency and will have some longevity outside of what I normally do.

A hundred thousand views on flickr doesn't quite add up to the same as seeing one of my snaps on the printed page. A very strange and quite humbling experience.

Just had a quick look at the blog, very interesting and what you did takes some determination.
I'll take a longer look tonight.
Congratulations on getting onto the printed page, as you can see from my avatar I have a slight passing interest in ale:D

Thanks footman - do you brew at all... or just a consumer?! ;)

Thanks footman - do you brew at all... or just a consumer?! ;)

I had a book years ago called "how to make beer like the brewers do" or similar.
I made a few and they weren't half bad.
The odd thing was that the author, quite a young fellow, "sadly passed away shortly after the book was published".

After reading this gem I decided that maybe some of his product was to blame and I stopped brewing!

These days I confine myself to extensive market research and sampling :LOL:

Back