Packing for holiday....

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

This should be enough, right?

First time without 120, too. Feel weird but I am comfortable with it.... I think!

IMG_0676.jpgIMG_0677.jpg

Have you shot much HP5 in 135? I've not been lucky so far with the grain; I suspect it needs real care with the developer...

Some, not much. You’ve not been lucky in what respect? I expect and embrace grain!

I like grain too, but found HP5 grain too much and too ugly in 135. I hear it's fine in 120 (EDIT: more magnification needed in 135). But I did wonder if picking a "low grain" developer might help.

However, if you've shot it in 135 and are happy, that's great! (I'd replace it with Tri-X, and keep everything else in your stash, but we all have different "likes".)

That looks like decent amount. You shouldn't be short. :)

Hopefully!

Personally I'm not a fan of the grain structure it feels a bit much in 135. However it's what you've got so it'll be fine!

Fair enough. Each to their own where film stock is concerned.

I like grain too, but found HP5 grain too much and too ugly in 135. I hear it's fine in 120 (EDIT: more magnification needed in 135). But I did wonder if picking a "low grain" developer might help.

However, if you've shot it in 135 and are happy, that's great! (I'd replace it with Tri-X, and keep everything else in your stash, but we all have different "likes".)

I haven’t shot a lot. It’s beautiful in 120 for sure. The only 35mm I have to show are unfortunately home scanned but they are at the end of this post I recently did...

https://www.garethmorton.com/journal1/shoot-the-people-you-love

I haven’t shot a lot. It’s beautiful in 120 for sure. The only 35mm I have to show are unfortunately home scanned but they are at the end of this post I recently did...

That post is tragic and poignant but beautiful, and has moved me quite a lot; the grain is completely a non issue. It's terrible to lose a parent. I think it was Nan Goldin who wrote "I used to think that I could never lose anyone if I photographed them enough. In fact, my pictures show me how much I've lost". So sorry, Gareth.

They show him well, Gareth. There's never a good or right time and we all wish we had more photos but not half as much as we wish we could still take them.

I used to miss the grain when I had to use Tri-X instead of HP-5 (and used to push it to 1600 to get more!)

Far too much Gaz, I think you need to send some of those Portra boxes my way....:naughty:

Are you still shooting the Leica? I haven’t been in this section for too long!

When I used 35mm and went on holiday (with my wife) I used about 10 36 exp films in a week.

That was a cut down from my student days, when I was running at about 3 films per day. You slow down when you get older...

That post is tragic and poignant but beautiful, and has moved me quite a lot; the grain is completely a non issue. It's terrible to lose a parent. I think it was Nan Goldin who wrote "I used to think that I could never lose anyone if I photographed them enough. In fact, my pictures show me how much I've lost". So sorry, Gareth.

Hank you, Chris for taking the time and the nice words.

They show him well, Gareth. There's never a good or right time and we all wish we had more photos but not half as much as we wish we could still take them.

I used to miss the grain when I had to use Tri-X instead of HP-5 (and used to push it to 1600 to get more!)

Thanks, Nod.

Far too much Gaz, I think you need to send some of those Portra boxes my way....:naughty:

Are you still shooting the Leica? I haven’t been in this section for too long!

Hello. Yeah, I’ve brought the Leica and the XPan. Didn’t shoot much on the first day and I’ve no idea if what I’ve shot will be any good! Especially the roll of Cinestill that I shot at F2 and 1/60.

It depends... are you going on holiday by yourself or with significant other/family/friends ? If the former then probably about right. If the second, then far, far, too much

I’m with my girlfriend but I’m not sure that makes it far too much. She knows what she signed up for and I always have a camera with me.

When I used 35mm and went on holiday (with my wife) I used about 10 36 exp films in a week.

That was a cut down from my student days, when I was running at about 3 films per day. You slow down when you get older...

Quite similar then, I guess. I don’t mind bringing some home with me as it will get used anyway.

Sounds good, girlfriends tend to be understanding as long as you get nice shot so of them If you’re using the Xpan then I suppose it accounts for some more of that film :D

Your post about your dad is a lovely thing. I know the situation is tragic, but you've done it great service I think. I lost my mum to cancer 16 years ago. She was only 57 when it took her and from diagnosis to her being gone was only about six weeks. At the time I didn't really think about taking photos (I wasn't really a hobby photographer at the time), but now I wish I had. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

As for the HP5+, the stuff can do no wrong in my eyes. Like yourself, grain is all good as far as I'm concerned.

Back